Limousins - Assistance needed

Help Support CattleToday:

taraporter

Reaction score
A year ago, I acquired 2 purebreed registered (NALF) limousin cows. I now have a purebreed bull, 5 months of age. A friend is bording the cows for me, as I live in a city and have little "rural" background.

I have the registration certificate for the original 2 limousin cows. I've read up on the breed, and could use some feedback in my decision making as to what their future. Both cows are 1300 + lbs, and are currently bred again (by purebreed black angus), so I've got 2 more calfs on the way this winter.

There's an auction barn within 50 miles of where I live, however "registred breeds" don't seem to matter to the buyers who attend. I am just not familiar with where to go in terms of a market to sell them. Personally, would only be interested in butcher 1 of them for personal consumption.

If anyone has any "words of wisdom," guidance, suggestions, etc. for this perplexed non-cow person, it would greatly be appreciated. In a nut-shell, I have no idea the value of what I have nor how to make wise decisions regarding their future.

Thank you.

You have options
- List them in a local area news paper
- List Online Classifieds
- List them to a online Auciton in your state
- Look for special purebred sales in your state
- Buther em and sell the beef (wait until after the calves are born)
- Sale them at your local auction and get market price for them

taraporter":1q0llwna said:
A year ago, I acquired 2 purebreed registered (NALF) limousin cows. I now have a purebreed bull, 5 months of age. A friend is bording the cows for me, as I live in a city and have little "rural" background.

I have the registration certificate for the original 2 limousin cows. I've read up on the breed, and could use some feedback in my decision making as to what their future. Both cows are 1300 + lbs, and are currently bred again (by purebreed black angus), so I've got 2 more calfs on the way this winter.

There's an auction barn within 50 miles of where I live, however "registred breeds" don't seem to matter to the buyers who attend. I am just not familiar with where to go in terms of a market to sell them. Personally, would only be interested in butcher 1 of them for personal consumption.

If anyone has any "words of wisdom," guidance, suggestions, etc. for this perplexed non-cow person, it would greatly be appreciated. In a nut-shell, I have no idea the value of what I have nor how to make wise decisions regarding their future.

Thank you.
ill jump in here an see if i can help you.you have 2 reg limmy cows.you have a base herd started.by breeding them to an angus bull the calves will be crossbreds.those calves can be sold as feeder calves at the sale barn.is the 5 month old bull reg.i think id breed the cows to a reg limmy bull.that way you can reg them an start building a herd.

Option 1: Advertise(statewide if possible) that you have two reg. Limi's, bred for Winter calving, reasonably priced. When you get a call, say $1000 each, $1900 for the two. Take less if you have to. Don't butcher either. Save your $ and buy beef when you want it for the next 2 or 3 years and save hundreds of $.

Option 2: Sell right now at stockyard, get $1100 for the two.

Option 3: Calve them out and sell later as pairs or separate. A sure money loser, as you'll be boarding and feeding them through the Winter. Best case scenario, after 6 more months of care and feeding you come away even.

bigbull, my take was taraporter wanted out of the cow biz. If not, taraporter disregard my post. Sorry for the misread.

ga. prime":2d8qaeqv said:
bigbull, my take was taraporter wanted out of the cow biz. If not, taraporter disregard my post. Sorry for the misread.
i reread it an i reckon your right.they are wanting to sale the cows.man my mind is beginning to slipp bad.

Think about trying to sell as registered, if they look good and their calves look good, should be able to sell. If they were bred to a registered angus, then the calves can be registered lim-flex, if you can get copy of papers on bull. If you want something to butcher, and can get registered price from cows and calves, then buy stock cows for that purpose, then you shouldn't have such high price meat.

You do not have enough cows to worry with a bull, AI would be better. Join one of the Lim As. not just NALF. Here we have several different ones and each one has a couple of sales a year. Also NALF has an online place to sell seed stock. There is nothing wrong with the Lim-Flex.

Like r and s said, the cross of the Angus and Limousin can be registered as Lim-Flex. Providing the Angus bull is registered.

If you want to sell these animals then you are right, Stockyard buyers will not pay more for registered animals for the most part. If the animals have recent pedigrees you might contact a local Limousin association and put them in a registered sale. You could possibly net more money doing that but you would have to talk to someone in your local association to get input after they look at the pedigrees. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Latest posts