Limousins

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah But would you want to eat one? All the miniture cows i have seen are basically pets and old one at that..

The minis would be good to throw on a grill like a pig w/ an apple in its mouth if they didn't get eaten by dogs or coyotes first

I know of 2 people who raise minis and sell the excess to buther. Both I understand have a waiting list for the opportunity to purchase one. It works well for them. They can run fewer head on the same acres. They fatten out sooner at a lower weight. It is a niche market and works for some people. Although I haven't ate any meat from one I'm told it is very good, tender and very flavorful. Both I know raise mini Herefords.

Red Bull Breeder":2w9xhbvp said:
Welcome to the limousin club CP. Those folks with the fullbloods appreciate your help. I think we will breeding a few to the same fullblood bull you are this spring.
What bull is that?

frieghttrain":qjwwexxt said:
Red Bull Breeder":qjwwexxt said:
Welcome to the limousin club CP. Those folks with the fullbloods appreciate your help. I think we will breeding a few to the same fullblood bull you are this spring.
What bull is that?
The one in his avitar.

What bloodlines do you all find has the good dispositions. I ask because I've only had experience with one in the last few years. Had quite a bit a few years ago. A neighbors Limo bull got in with our Angus cows. She had a real nice heifer. Her mother was super gentle and docile. Her maternal sisters have all be also. But she would never settle down and was hard to handle. When her calf was about 2 months old her and the calf went to the sale barn. She had a very nice heifer calf on her. Think her sire was sold because of his bad temperment. I know you can get a bad one in any breed. So why I'm asking what bloodlines tend to be docile.

elkwc":9ewtg6fg said:
What bloodlines do you all find has the good dispositions.
Based on what I've seen within the last year I'd have to say all of them, honestly. I have been around some of the old fashioned nut case limis before but the ones I've dealt with in the recent past are a world of difference from those.
I have exactly one registered cow that moves fast enough that I can catch her with the self catching head gate. The rest of them wander up and sniff until it falls open. She will move away a foot or two if you walk up to her in the open and will show slight distress if you sort her off by herself. I don't think you could get her wound up enough to jump a gate, though.

Elkwc on the fullblood side of the breed. Most anything going back to STZZ Guthrie MH Velocity MH Southern Cross. Kurgerrand breeding is for the most part pretty calm. They are like most other breeds don't put up with the bad ones and it doesn't take long to have good ones.

cow pollinater":1st0c0fi said:
frieghttrain":1st0c0fi said:
Red Bull Breeder":1st0c0fi said:
What bull is that?
The one in his avitar.
You lucky son of a gun! Post pictures next year when they start coming.

Red Bull Breeder":2lh8r8h0 said:
Elkwc on the fullblood side of the breed. Most anything going back to STZZ Guthrie MH Velocity MH Southern Cross. Kurgerrand breeding is for the most part pretty calm. They are like most other breeds don't put up with the bad ones and it doesn't take long to have good ones.
Gutherie is a son of Polled Yukon 50E you don't like Yukon do you? I like MH Velocity better than STZZ Guthire :2cents: Southern cross is low on milk judging by the EPD only, I have no experience with him.

I don't care for Yukon. Guthrie does a decent job makes some nice cows. Velocity is a hit and miss, works well on Guthrie cows. Southern Cross is about my favorite of the older bulls. They milk just fine, I am not running a diary.

My only experience with Limousin cattle was a small group of F1 Aubrac crosses I got a older cows from Hunt Limousin in NE. They were as easy as pie.

There are black limo's ,not my favorite but to each is there own. We took six steers to a sale last year and they were the high bids of the day. my wife said when she went to pu the check the girl in office said she would buy the two we no selled , so it turned out to be a great day. I never !Ike bringing back a animal I took to a sale.

Latest posts