LImousins VS Salers

Help Support CattleToday:

topsquar

Reaction score
Limousin vs Salers which of these 2 breeds would do best in a native grass, clover rye grass pasture. at an altitude of 1100 meters above sea level ,summer temperature high 30 winter -15, does anyone know which of the 2 breeds weans heavier calves.

no Angus please allready got them.

I'd put my money on Limousin. Our area is native shortgrass - wheat and ryegrasses - and Limo's do well. Salers have done well - not as heavy - but the trick to them SOB's is whether or not you'll get them to auction with your fences, truck and trailer in one piece. :lol: As for your climate, I can't say.

Limousin is absolutly the better breed. Limousin has more carcass potential, better feed efficiency, more muscle, are better mothers, have more calf vigour, and are surely better tempered than Salers. Limousin are just a better all around breed and will help out your bottom line alot more than a Saler.

p.s
We graze most of our cow herd on native grass.

I've heard of temperment issues with both of them (no personal experience though).

Other than that, I'd probably say go with the Limousins. Should make a darn good cross with your Angus.

Salers.

The Salers that were brought to the US were a whole different critter than the typical one in France.

In AU, when I visited there, the Salers were considered to be one of the more docile breeds.

Lot's less problems with Salers in AU, than with Limmies, from what I have gathered.

Sales are way tougher than Limmies in hotter conditions, too.

mtnman

mtnman
yeah I think you are right I have never heard of Salers being hard get into a yard, most I have seen are very docile and I noticed people are using Salers in very large oprations where they want low maintenance cattle.

thx for the replys

work for a frenchman who would you believe runs saler they are pretty good temp wise but when he gets a bad one look out.tried to brake in a 9 month bull calf he is now in the freezer,he would come after you and even bite you when in the crush.

My limos are a little hard to handle, but the calves are better calves than my angus, especially in the butt end.

Latest posts