SALERS

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd say they would be ok once they got acclimated if they came from an area that wasn't as hot. I would think the full bloods would have a harder time since many of them had thicker fur compared to English and other Continentals, though. A lot of the purebreds are part Angus, so their coat isn't as thick as the full bloods.

Teddy Gentry of the band Alabama. created a composite of them and Senepol in the 8o's called South Poll. I think it was Salers. I know one of the breed in the composite was Senepol. He said he created a calf raising machine especially suited to the heat and humidity. His place is north of me, though, in the very northwest corner of Ga.
On another thread someone posted a link about Salorn. Saler and Longhorn. On the website they were all solid red and polled.
About 20 years ago, I did some horse trading with a man that had Saler and Limousine ( back when they were red, so might have been over 20 years), that he bred to SG bulls. rt might have been Saker and Gelbiev. Which one is it that had the lighter colored circles around their eyes? Or did before they both turned to black? He got some big ole calves, but both breeds of cows were b*tches. He said the c;alves were a lot easier to handle than the mommas., and the SG bulls were just sweethearts.

Not much experience here with Salers. I got a few Saler x Holstein calves from a dairy years ago. They had real thick curly hair. I didn't like them as well as Angus or other crosses. I just had bull calves and sold as steers at around d 500-600 lbs so I don't know how they would have been as cows.
I've heard people talk about how wild a disposition the Salers have.
There's not many of them around here.
If I were wanting to add a continental breed for hot weather, I'd personally go with a Charolais or slick haired Simmental.

Bought a group of 30 Herefords around ten years ago with a Saler bull on them. His pecker got broke, so he left pretty quick. Would've anyway, he shouldn't have been allowed to breed in the first place, so no good comparison to anything of quality. That cross makes a mostly solid red calf with a mottled face.

Teddy Gentry of the band Alabama. created a composite of them and Senepol in the 8o's called South Poll. I think it was Salers. I know one of the breed in the composite was Senepol. He said he created a calf raising machine especially suited to the heat and humidity. His place is north of me, though, in the very northwest corner of Ga.
On another thread someone posted a link about Salorn. Saler and Longhorn. On the website they were all solid red and polled.
About 20 years ago, I did some horse trading with a man that had Saler and Limousine ( back when they were red, so might have been over 20 years), that he bred to SG bulls. rt might have been Saker and Gelbiev. Which one is it that had the lighter colored circles around their eyes? Or did before they both turned to black? He got some big ole calves, but both breeds of cows were b*tches. He said the c;alves were a lot easier to handle than the mommas., and the SG bulls were just sweethearts.
South Poll is Hereford, Barzona, Senepol and Angus. Never seen any in person before myself.

Had Salers 20 or yrs back, I crossed them with Galloway and then Angus. Both could take hot or cold extremes which we have here. Angus cross was the best tasting ever! Couldn't sell them very well alive so went to straight Angus. They were hardy cows at 90 above or 50 below

Right now most of my cows are Brangus, and angus. I have a couple that are Braunvieh/Angus and Braunvieh/Baldy. My bull is half Char/Brangus . He has been great but he is getting some age and I want to keep heifers. I went away from Angus because they didnt grow off like I wanted them too. With this bull I am selling 7 month old calves at an average of 620 lbs. With the angus bull same cows it was more like 450. Would go to a Brangus bull but that would be too much Brangus. Need something that will shorten the ear. Thought about Simmental.

Have a friend and his son who have a herd of Salers. They live near Rainsville , DeKalb County, in the northeast corner of Alabama . They do quite well with them .

I have a Barzona cow. I bought two at the sale barn but one was a dud and wouldn't rebreed. The other is one of my best cows. Looks like a red angus cross but is taller and more rugged looking in a good way. Excellent mama cow. Very gentle, good udder, moderate sized. I didn't know anything about the breed but the cows had tags with a phone number so I call the man and asked about them. He was one of the few that keep the breed going.

Salers do fine in southeast KY. A friend had some that were good looking cattle.

South Poll is Hereford, Barzona, Senepol and Angus. Never seen any in person before myself.
Teddy rented my mother's place for about 10 years. There were Senepol x Red Angus cows, bred by Barzona x Hereford bulls. I still have some pictures of the herds. The rd Angus x Senepol were very nice cows.

Latest posts