Critique my Salers bull and calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
baxter78":34uz427j said:
Hey, I bought me a Salers bull and calf yesterday. Tell me what yall think. Do yall think I can start breeding mini Salers with this bull? Would his calf also fit the mini niche? Any criticism whether good or bad will be much appreciated.

Salersbullandcalf.jpg

:banana: :lol2: :nod: :clap: ;-) :roll: :lol: :) :D
I hope the calf is a heifer, if you hope to have a future in the business ;-)

yes you can start a good salers herd with that bull an heifer.an so glad its a heifer.2 bulls couldnt start a herd lolol.

I hope you have your thick skin on today.

I would ship that bull, he is way too sway backed, and appears to have very course shoulders, and an unusually large head, which would almost certainly make him unsuitable for your heifer when she comes of breeding age. He also looks to have a weak flank and is extremely sickle hocked.

On the positive side, he appears to have a good tight sheath, and an outstanding scrotal measurement!

Bear in mind, these or only my assessment. If you could provide additional photos from different angles, maybe this would change a bit, but with only one photo to look at combined with the glare of the plastic facilities this is what I see.

I am sure many more observations can be made, maybe Doc or some other "professional" will chime in to offer up a more thorough in depth analysis.

If you do decide to keep and breed this bull, I hope you do not intend to offer his offspring for sale as seed stock.

His calves would be highly discounted, the most you could hope for would be .79 cents at best.

You could always cross him with some Angus females, and get those CAB premiums.

JMO, FWIW.......Trey

That has got to be some of the worst leg and feet structure I have ever seen..... maybe it is just the way he is standing in the pic???? Do you have a rear pic? ;-)

TREY-L":2mk6b164 said:
I hope you have your thick skin on today.

I would ship that bull, he is way too sway backed, and appears to have very course shoulders, and an unusually large head, which would almost certainly make him unsuitable for your heifer when she comes of breeding age. He also looks to have a weak flank and is extremely sickle hocked.

On the positive side, he appears to have a good tight sheath, and an outstanding scrotal measurement!

Bear in mind, these or only my assessment. If you could provide additional photos from different angles, maybe this would change a bit, but with only one photo to look at combined with the glare of the plastic facilities this is what I see.

I am sure many more observations can be made, maybe Doc or some other "professional" will chime in to offer up a more thorough in depth analysis.

If you do decide to keep and breed this bull, I hope you do not intend to offer his offspring for sale as seed stock.

His calves would be highly discounted, the most you could hope for would be .79 cents at best.

You could always cross him with some Angus females, and get those CAB premiums.

JMO, FWIW.......Trey
Trey-

You have done an exemplary job of critiquing this bull, considering his unusual "presentation" stance, and his extremely cow-hocked condition! There is one other situation that has presented itself in this thread, and that is the fact that, in almost ALL of the circumstances that I have encountered in the last several years - the "packagers" of products such as this bull and calf represent, DON'T WANT ANYONE to OPEN their product! It requires a very sharp utility knife, a pair of vice-grip pliers, a long screwdriver, a pair of angled water pump pliers, and a roll of super strength, frustration-free, EZ START plastic Duck Tape to repair whatever damage you do to the product in your efforts to obtain it from the packaging!! :help:

baxter78: - Lots of luck with your quixotic beef breeding protocols! Let me know if you are fortunate enough to locate a female with less "cow-hockedness" traits, and a more correctly-proportional head and neck phenotype. The lack of Functional Traits in this individual precludes his being utilized advantageously in any kind of a "breeding up" operation, unless your [SEARCH] for an acceptable, resinous, polymerized heifer (or cow, as the case may be) with much more preferable phenotype characteristics is successful, and you can prevent her "SLIPPING" out of your hands, - then perhaps you could optimize those desirable traits ( :???: ), and LINEBREED a totally new breed into the protocols of Beef Production! :welcome: :tiphat: I'll be glad to accept a "Finders-Fee" for the new breed.

We can name the breed "Polled Plasticens"! :nod: We certainly don't want plastic horns on these suckers! :banana: Keep me informed regarding your [SEARCH] efforts. :compute:

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts