Red Salers crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this breed. I know where I can a couple heifers out a salers bull. Do they make good cows?

The one thing I hear the most is they are nasty tempered. I have heard that from many different people.

Years ago we ran red Saler bulls and they we're calm and easy it handle. The cows are good mothers with excellent udders. They are cranky with a new calf but get over it pretty fast. For what it's worth, that our experience with Salers.

They can make some real calf raisers. I think alot of the temperament issues have been dealt with within the Salers breed the last several years. There can be nut jobs in any breed, but the ones I have been around have been fairly calm. What kind of cows are the heifers out of?

A.J. - Two are out of angus cows, the other four are out of cows that are angus crosses. We went and looked at them and they seem like very calm cattle. The guy that owns them can walk up to his Salers bull in the field and lay his hands on him with no problem.

Salers make very good mothers, easy calving and produces superb calves. I've heard that pure Salers cows are protective at first days after calving, but that's not big problem, later they become normal. We've a couple SalersX cows and heifers, and they are very good with even better calves: good tempered, easy calving and good mothers.

Dale L":3afsx7yg said:
A.J. - Two are out of angus cows, the other four are out of cows that are angus crosses. We went and looked at them and they seem like very calm cattle. The guy that owns them can walk up to his Salers bull in the field and lay his hands on him with no problem.

If you liked the way they looked, and they are priced right, I wouldn't hesitate to bring them home. I've seen them crossed with Simmental and Angus, and they had some really nice calves.

I have several full blood salers and use a full blood saker bull on everything. Best breed I have ever dealt with. EZ calvers and fast growers.

There is a ranch Idaho who I buy about 300 Saler and Saler cross steers from every fall. Nice cattle that gain and perform. They aren't gentle but handled on horseback they are okay in the pens and when turned out go straight to the top of the mountain. No experience with Saler cows though.

Around here they use them to teach the elk how to run and jump. Be around them a lot and get them use to being handled. Always handle them slowly and quietly. The calm ones make decent cows. The crazy ones you can't get on a truck fast enough...... if you can get them on a truck at all.

I have a couple salers cows. Performance wise they are all near the top of the herd. I bought eight of them a few years ago and they have all bred up fast and they really get out and use my country and do a good job with a calf.
Disposition wise, the one with the mottled face is kind of bluffing but the rest really mean it. :help: They're respectful enough horseback with dogs but I have to leave the truck door open when I feed so that I can crawl from the bed strait into the cab because they'll kill me if they can catch me on foot. Two of them will keep chasing the truck after the feed is off the bed just to fight me.

I do know that salers breeders have been working on disposition with a vengeance and I hope your new cattle are representative of that. If they are then you might have a really good set of cattle on your hands.

These are February calves and they are eating alfalfa cubes from my hand right now. I don't let the kids get in the pen with them but they will stick their heads through the manger and take them from their hands also. Right now they are calmer than the rest of our herd.

Dale L":26583gs8 said:
These are February calves and they are eating alfalfa cubes from my hand right now. I don't let the kids get in the pen with them but they will stick their heads through the manger and take them from their hands also. Right now they are calmer than the rest of our herd.
Hopefully the heifers won't be overprotective after they had their first calves.

cow pollinater said:
I have a couple salers cows. Performance wise they are all near the top of the herd. I bought eight of them a few years ago and they have all bred up fast and they really get out and use my country and do a good job with a calf.
Disposition wise, the one with the mottled face is kind of bluffing but the rest really mean it. :help: They're respectful enough horseback with dogs but I have to leave the truck door open when I feed so that I can crawl from the bed strait into the cab because they'll kill me if they can catch me on foot. Two of them will keep chasing the truck after the feed is off the bed just to fight me. /quote]

Sounds like you don't need to worry about rustlers ;-)
Have you tried crossing them with a good Hereford ?

Stocker Steve":2qzsquvv said:
cow pollinater":2qzsquvv said:
Disposition wise, the one with the mottled face is kind of bluffing but the rest really mean it. :help: They're respectful enough horseback with dogs but I have to leave the truck door open when I feed so that I can crawl from the bed strait into the cab because they'll kill me if they can catch me on foot. Two of them will keep chasing the truck after the feed is off the bed just to fight me. /quote]

Sounds like you don't need to worry about rustlers ;-)
Have you tried crossing them with a good Hereford ?

I wouldn't have to worry about crossing them with anything, except an aluminum stock trailer. And then maybe a Bull that happened to be at the sale barn. LOL :lol2: B&G

Hopefully the heifers won't be overprotective after they had their first calves.

We will see. These are only half salers. And the bull they are out of is calm. We have some now that we can't really mess with when they have small calves.

Latest posts