Light Calf Price ?

Help Support CattleToday:

What kind of calves are they i mean color and breed. Are they bulls or hiefers. I just can't imagine any all beef breed light calf at such a price.

private seller- red angus sired out of herf & herfx cows, so mostly red baldies, both bulls & heifers.

missed em this round, but I'll get em all next season, about 10 at a time. Thanks Hook for leaving some nuts around for the other squirrels! I'll keep an eye out for mature cow bargains for ya, I'm mostly after the weanling heifers.

LRTX1":raxvkt3v said:
brihop":raxvkt3v said:

If I know Hook, he'd probably agree to that....

If you let him guess the weight.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I've got a long lost relative who's last name was stein somethin or other
No offense to anyone.

Saw some good weaned black steers that weighed 300lbs bring 247.50 this morning, anything that is any good under 450lbs is over 2.00 today.

Open cull cows brought 140 last week. We just picked up 11 breds including 1 f1 tiger for 975 each. And one open with a 3wt calf for the same.
They're nothing special but half of them could be real nice with some weight on them.

We had a cow sale here last week, and in one deal they sold 17 cows with 19 calves that will average 350 and they were mostly bull calves, the cows were all 4 to 6 years old, black, yellow,red, and the calves were mostly black. the cows had been running back with the bull. They brought 2200 a pair, most everyone thinks that was to high, but the cows weighed 1750 average and would bring 85 cents so that is 1487$ and then this week the calves would probably average 850$, so there is about 2350$ to split them up. plus the two extra twin calves are another 1700$. so i would say that those 2200$ pairs were a bargain.

I have had mixed success buying pairs and heavy breds. Need to be more picky.

Pairs were $1300 to 1400 last spring. If it rains we will have pairs over $2000 this spring. If not... I am planning to sell some stocker calves to protect the cow herd for another 5 months.

I am remodeling an ex stantion barn for light calves that may not do well in a lot at -25 F. Does not seem to be a lot of interest in them unless there is a group of about 10 or more. Got 2 more today - - 250# red bulls for $165/cwt..

Stocker Steve":vg0hdt1w said:
I am remodeling an ex stantion barn for light calves that may not do well in a lot at -25 F. Does not seem to be a lot of interest in them unless there is a group of about 10 or more. Got 2 more today - - 250# red bulls for $165/cwt..
Where are you buying them for that kind of money, that is way to cheap.

sold a light 370lb heifer last week for $1.80 a lb.this year our calves was 100 to 150lbs liight.but that seemed to work in our favor.

Mountain boys are buying here now-- they don't seem to care what they have to pay to fill up their pastures for the summer. I'll stay out till they get done buying.