Light Calf Price ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Today 225 to 300lb steers brought up to 2.31, 450lbs steers were up to 1.95, and there was some nice long time weaned black steers that weighed 620lbs bring 1.68.

200lb to 300ln steers were 1.95 to 2.10 today, and light heifers were about 1.65 at the highest. Holsteins were off about 10$ also.

denvermartinfarms":2g1jg7uc said:
200lb to 300ln steers were 1.95 to 2.10 today, and light heifers were about 1.65 at the highest. Holsteins were off about 10$ also.

Wish your market was here...

300-400# steers 1.57
Heifers 1.37

500-600# steer 1.375
Heifers 1.20

Yep, and those prices today were a lot cheaper than they have been in a while. Your 5wt price really gets me, I hauled 55 calves in today for a guy I know and they were complete junk, but some of them that weighed 550lbs brought 1. 58 and they were a year and a half old and walked like Holsteins.

Also, baby beef calves off of old cows were 310$ to 380$ for bulls or heifers, and they were all less than 2 weeks old. Don't think I would want 480$ or 500$ in getting a baby weaned and it still only weighing about 200lbs, think I would just as soon pay 2.35 a pound for s 200lb calf like it was a few weeks ago and be getting better calves to feed.

Yeah no kidding. Ours will wean the 500-650 mark at 5-6.5 month mark. But the prices are crazy.we had a1 550 steers that Brought 1.37 that a year ago would have hit 1.60-80 mark here. Feed still up, calf prices down, weight cows holding their own, and bred stock cows still 1000-1400 mark.

Feeders were up almost the limit today on the CME. Yesterday 3 wt steer and bull calves in Eastern VA topped out at $170 a cwt, heifers struggled to get above $130 a cwt. I watched a good looking flowery shorthorn steer( 460 lb) only bring $68 a cwt over the weekend. Large number of holstein heifer calves now showing up at feeder sales in central PA, they are really cheap $50 to 60 acwt in 300 to 500 wt small groups. There must not be any interest in these from backgrounders or feedlots. I'm thinking these excess heifers are a result of all the dairies using sexed semen??

jasonleonard":riqv8td1 said:
Feeders were up almost the limit today on the CME. Yesterday 3 wt steer and bull calves in Eastern VA topped out at $170 a cwt, heifers struggled to get above $130 a cwt. I watched a good looking flowery shorthorn steer( 460 lb) only bring $68 a cwt over the weekend. Large number of holstein heifer calves now showing up at feeder sales in central PA, they are really cheap $50 to 60 acwt in 300 to 500 wt small groups. There must not be any interest in these from backgrounders or feedlots. I'm thinking these excess heifers are a result of all the dairies using sexed semen??
Sounds like your market has improved some, our highest 3wt steer was 2.12 last week. For a while there a couple months ago it seemed there was a 1.00 a pound difference from out there to around hear.

hooknline":2qs7dbv9 said:
LRTX1":2qs7dbv9 said:
brihop":2qs7dbv9 said:

If I know Hook, he'd probably agree to that....

we might be cousins. :cowboy:

If you let him guess the weight.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I've got a long lost relative who's last name was stein somethin or other
No offense to anyone.

denvermartinfarms":zp9x05zl said:
AllForage":zp9x05zl said:
Wish we could get those MO prices up here.
Here is my best out 3 local "barns" quote]
If that was my best market I would be moving.

My dream is to haul cattle west in the fall and then hunt my way home to MN. :cowboy: What do you think of that business trip?

Stocker Steve":33qjv37w said:
denvermartinfarms":33qjv37w said:
AllForage":33qjv37w said:
Wish we could get those MO prices up here.
Here is my best out 3 local "barns" quote]
If that was my best market I would be moving.

My dream is to haul cattle west in the fall and then hunt my way home to MN. :cowboy: What do you think of that business trip?
Sounds fine to me.

Latest posts