Lexington Moving Statues

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":275vinxz said:
True Grit Farms":275vinxz said:

That's a rebel flag, it's the flag that my redneck son uses as a sun shade in his bedroom. The kid has no idea about slavery or the civil war, he calls it a rebel flag and rednecks have them. And as a matter of fact he's the easiest going, nicest young man you'd ever meet. I encouraged all my kids to be rednecks, and wouldn't change a thing if I could.
After all who wants a beach bum, preepy, hippy, liberal, do gooder, tree hugger as a kid?

That confirms what has been stated above. Most of the flags are displayed as a novelty by younger folks. I never see them displayed by men over 55. The majority of the kids are following a fad.

Very true, but the flag or kid has never caused anyone any harm.

True Grit Farms":1k6khx7t said:
Bright Raven":1k6khx7t said:
True Grit Farms":1k6khx7t said:

That's a rebel flag, it's the flag that my redneck son uses as a sun shade in his bedroom. The kid has no idea about slavery or the civil war, he calls it a rebel flag and rednecks have them. And as a matter of fact he's the easiest going, nicest young man you'd ever meet. I encouraged all my kids to be rednecks, and wouldn't change a thing if I could.
After all who wants a beach bum, preepy, hippy, liberal, do gooder, tree hugger as a kid?

That confirms what has been stated above. Most of the flags are displayed as a novelty by younger folks. I never see them displayed by men over 55. The majority of the kids are following a fad.

Very true, but the flag or kid has never caused anyone any harm.

There is unlikely to be a correlation between having a Confederate flag and bad behavior and that is not being suggested.

True Grit Farms":3tfhymx6 said:

You need to explain to him that it is anything but a rebel flag to many people before someone snatches it off and sticks it up his a$$.....you can cure ignorance. Tell him to get him a real "rebel or confederate" flag. One that flew over the capital. Noone is offended by it.

No one is offended by one because they don't know the confederate states had many different flags over the years. They're picking on this one because of the hate organizations that adopted the battle flag.

TexasBred":2r8kfkr8 said:
True Grit Farms":2r8kfkr8 said:

You need to explain to him that it is anything but a rebel flag to many people before someone snatches it off and sticks it up his a$$.....you can cure ignorance. Tell him to get him a real "rebel or confederate" flag. One that flew over the capital. Noone is offended by it.

TG, you also need to get your stereotypes sorted out. Hippies and preps hate each other.
Hippie:https://joshwilltravel.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/10593148_929691947056747_8872620108363936705_n.jpg
Preppy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_P._Keaton

boondocks":3gs7stva said:
TexasBred":3gs7stva said:
True Grit Farms":3gs7stva said:

TG, you also need to get your stereotypes sorted out. Hippies and preps hate each other.
Hippie:https://joshwilltravel.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/10593148_929691947056747_8872620108363936705_n.jpg
Preppy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_P._Keaton

No ma'am, I'm good, I've pretty much figured out what works for me. I enjoy life and don't dwell on the past.

Relocating the statues has been approved by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council. Here is an excerpt:

Government leaders in Kentucky's second-largest city took a decisive stand Thursday night in favor of moving two Confederate statues from their prominent places outside a former courthouse being converted into a visitors center.

The proposal to relocate statues honoring Confederate officers John Hunt Morgan and John C. Breckinridge won unanimous approval from the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council after nearly three hours of public testimony that overwhelmingly supported the resolution.

Bright Raven":1hhyvfiy said:

a revival or fad. I never saw a Confederate flag displayed until the last 10 years. Now they are more common. I think it is a fad. Most people don't give two hoots and a holler about the Union or Confederate statues. They are more interested in who the University of Kentucky is recruiting for the basketball team.
A revival I guess. I had one on the front of my car in HS and college.

There are several houses around this area with the rebel flags flying, and quite a few vehicles have the flag license plate on the front. I hope that I am right in thinking that most of those folks are displaying them just because, and are not hard core with hatred, but prejudices do exist and are passed on from one generation to the next.

The rebels flag... 50% just think that rednecks hillbillies should have one everywhere and tattooed on them because its cool... the other half knows that it represents an racist way of thinking... Its not hard to distinguish between the two pretty quickly. Here the young boys have rebels flags flying from their trucks that are jacked up almost to the sky while they are blasting rap going down the road. The older guys with grey with them tend to be the nasty bigots. Either way one side is always saying slavery was hundreds of years ago just forget about it.. Then we have incidents like Charlottesville which churns up emotions on both sides. Its kind of hard to forget about the past when both sides bring it into present.

Bright Raven.. So what about the Dukes of Hazzard.. isn't that pretty close to home? I think they're largely responsible for anyone outside the south to be flying that flag for the "cool" factor.

The creator of The Dukes was raised 10 miles from our family farm. Lenoxburg, Kentucky. We stored our butchered beef at the locker at the General Store in Lenoxburg. So close to home? Yes.

skyhightree1":169jp8wk said:
The rebels flag... 50% just think that rednecks hillbillies should have one everywhere and tattooed on them because its cool... the other half knows that it represents an racist way of thinking... Its not hard to distinguish between the two pretty quickly. Here the young boys have rebels flags flying from their trucks that are jacked up almost to the sky while they are blasting rap going down the road. The older guys with grey with them tend to be the nasty bigots. Either way one side is always saying slavery was hundreds of years ago just forget about it.. Then we have incidents like Charlottesville which churns up emotions on both sides. Its kind of hard to forget about the past when both sides bring it into present.

When he was in his early 20s, the hubs had a truck with a "rebel" flag. He had bought it that way and never given it a second thought, just figured it was cool and, well, "rebel." He worked night shift in a very diverse workplace and had friends of all races and ages. One day a quiet (much) older black gentlemen who he'd considered a mentor/friend took him aside and asked him what the flag on the truck meant to him. Hubs admitted he'd never really given it much thought, just seemed cool, etc. The older gentlemen very quietly explained what the flag represented to him. He didn't ask for it to be removed, but after further thought, it was.
I think it's good for young folks to understand that a symbol like that can mean different things to different people. They can then make a conscious decision, rather than just adopting such a freighted symbol without knowledge of its historical background and different meanings.
Eg, swastikas were ancient symbols of many different cultures, most of whom (to my understanding) generally now avoid using them. It should be a voluntary decision, of course.

boondocks":3g3zkken said:
skyhightree1":3g3zkken said:

When he was in his early 20s, the hubs had a truck with a "rebel" flag. He had bought it that way and never given it a second thought, just figured it was cool and, well, "rebel." He worked night shift in a very diverse workplace and had friends of all races and ages. One day a quiet (much) older black gentlemen who he'd considered a mentor/friend took him aside and asked him what the flag on the truck meant to him. Hubs admitted he'd never really given it much thought, just seemed cool, etc. The older gentlemen very quietly explained what the flag represented to him. He didn't ask for it to be removed, but after further thought, it was.
I think it's good for young folks to understand that a symbol like that can mean different things to different people. They can then make a conscious decision, rather than just adopting such a freighted symbol without knowledge of its historical background and different meanings.
Eg, swastikas were ancient symbols of many different cultures, most of whom (to my understanding) generally now avoid using them. It should be a voluntary decision, of course.

It was about the 6th grade. Three boys in my class started wearing swastikas. Playing around doing "Hail Hitler" salutes. The word got up to the Principal. The three offenders were sent to the Principals office.

It never meant anything other than being "cool". Unfortunately, some never mature beyond the "cool" stage and you see it manifested in the skinheads.

Bright Raven":2txrsbwc said:
boondocks":2txrsbwc said:
skyhightree1":2txrsbwc said:

It was about the 6th grade. Three boys in my class started wearing swastikas. Playing around doing "Hail Hitler" salutes. The word got up to the Principal. The three offenders were sent to the Principals office.

It never meant anything other than being "cool". Unfortunately, some never mature beyond the "cool" stage and you see it manifested in the skinheads.

I can't imagine any 6th graders in our generation thinking the swastikas or hail Hitler was cool. You are only a year or two older than me. We were raise by and around a generation who fought Hitler. Many of us lost uncles and other relatives in that fight. Had three 6th graders done that in my school the principal would have been talking to the other 6th graders who whipped the snot out of them. At that time there was absolutely nothing cool about being or pretending to be a nazi.

Dave":86g9o2fc said:
Bright Raven":86g9o2fc said:
boondocks":86g9o2fc said:

I can't imagine any 6th graders in our generation thinking the swastikas or hail Hitler was cool. You are only a year or two older than me. We were raise by and around a generation who fought Hitler. Many of us lost uncles and other relatives in that fight. Had three 6th graders done that in my school the principal would have been talking to the other 6th graders who whipped the snot out of them. At that time there was absolutely nothing cool about being or pretending to be a nazi.

Dave,

Northern Kentucky has a very strong German influence. My paternal Grandfather was 100 % German. He married my grandmother in Cincinnati who was also 100 % German. Grandma spoke a lot of German. They were Roman Catholic of Low German order. Dad was the youngest of 11 siblings. When they got together at family reunions, I vividly remember them bragging about if Hitler would have had Petro, he would have won World War II. That German Pride ran deep. Many of the steel and machinist workers in Cincinnati were German. In school, I remember a slight degree of German sentiment. I had it in me too, due to my Dad's influence. If you have not been through North Dakota, you may not know but the Northern European influence is still alive with many German names and even remaining accent.

I didn't want to post on this topic because I consider myself short in the tooth and am by no means a history professor, but the purpose of this forum is to interact and share opinions. So here is my opinion. I was never a slave, nor was anyone in my family a slave or slave owner, so I find it very hard to relate to someones thinking a as to why someone else would or would not do something. All the time I hear people talking about what someone did or didn't do and how they don't agree with it, but to be honest do any of us really know unless we actually went through what their ancestors did. If somebody truly has a strong opinion about something they should stand up and voice that opinion, that is what has made this country what it is. My biggest issue with all this is do the majority of them really have an issue with the removal of the statues or are they just using it to push their agenda? Same with the whites I would bet some of them had never even visited the statues or knew where they were but threw a fit because they were getting moved. What is the scariest to me about the whole situation is the majority of youth today is uneducated and uninformed and they just spew whatever information they hear and don't research to find at least some form of reality. It is a very scary time and I personally do not see it getting any better. Officially off my soap box

redandblack":201e5e1k said:
I didn't want to post on this topic because I consider myself short in the tooth and am by no means a history professor, but the purpose of this forum is to interact and share opinions. So here is my opinion. I was never a slave, nor was anyone in my family a slave or slave owner, so I find it very hard to relate to someones thinking a as to why someone else would or would not do something. All the time I hear people talking about what someone did or didn't do and how they don't agree with it, but to be honest do any of us really know unless we actually went through what their ancestors did. If somebody truly has a strong opinion about something they should stand up and voice that opinion, that is what has made this country what it is. My biggest issue with all this is do the majority of them really have an issue with the removal of the statues or are they just using it to push their agenda? Same with the whites I would bet some of them had never even visited the statues or knew where they were but threw a fit because they were getting moved. What is the scariest to me about the whole situation is the majority of youth today is uneducated and uninformed and they just spew whatever information they hear and don't research to find at least some form of reality. It is a very scary time and I personally do not see it getting any better. Officially off my soap box

What does that mean, "push their agenda?" I hear that sometimes (or, lately, a lot) and am honestly befuddled. I like to debate things on their merits, not automatically dismiss someone's viewpoint as having an "agenda." Everything and everyone has an "agenda." I guess I just don't see it as a useful way to try to understand an issue, or point-of-view.

The "agenda" (if you want to call it that) is that they (whether white or black or mixed) don't think there should be memorials to slavery (in this instance, on the very spot where slaves were sold). Why is that not a sufficient reason? (Regardless whether you agree with it, I'm not sure why the "agenda" can't be just: "we find these offensive, given their context"?). It sounds like you are arguing no one has a right to that opinion, that there must be some more nefarious Grand Plan.
In terms of people being uneducated and ill-informed, I agree with you that there is far too much of that. I would just note that it's not limited to the young folk, unfortunately.

Latest posts