Statues

Help Support CattleToday:

I asked my guys in Flordia if they were mad at statues. They didn't know what I was talking about, so I let it go.
gs

if you're white, have any type of presence or power, you will be removed. Statues of white men from the past.. CEO's and other high power positions now.

No.. it's not racist if its against white people.

ddd75":28ntvzsy said:
if you're white, have any type of presence or power, you will be removed. Statues of white men from the past.. CEO's and other high power positions now.

Something like every town in the US of A having a Martin Luther king Jr street?

True Grit Farms":sa3n367n said:
ddd75":sa3n367n said:

yes, thats also the street you want to stay off of in every town.

True Grit Farms":3tuzyqhk said:
ddd75":3tuzyqhk said:

Not if your looking for some action.

Would Bullwinkle suffice?

bullwinkle2.jpg

The statue and flag thing has really gotten a lot of attention in the last while. I try to be objective when I look at issues, and sometimes that has both sides giving strange looks at me. Like any kid, I grew up knowing in general about the Civil War, I knew there were statues, and I knew that some southerners still liked to fly the rebel flag, as did some southern rock and country groups, and it was in one of the shows I enjoyed as a kid, The Dukes of Hazard. I never thought of it as negative or racist; it just wasn't talked about in that sense in those days. It didn't really affect me in a negative way and really still doesn't.

After giving it more thought as an adult, however, it does seem a little weird. Statues aren't erected just for the general sake of not forgetting history, but it's to honor certain individuals; the person is important enough that he needs a statue to celebrate the deeds and the cause that he represented; after all, not everyone gets a statue. The South lost, so what is it really celebrating? Do some feel that even though the South lost, they still represented the more noble cause of the Civil War, therefore, it should be glorified? I'm sure if the South would have won, slavery would have continued a while longer; I don't really see the glory in that. Jefferson Davis was actually born in KY, but I've never felt any strong connection to him or felt like he was somebody I need to celebrate.

In modern times, the idea of slavery is repulsive, so it's easier today to pretend the Civil War wasn't about slavery as much as it was philosophical differences or state rights. I really don't know what the parades, statues, and holidays are glorifying. I live in KY, and I have always identified more with Southern customs than Northern, but I would truly feel like a weirdo if I had a rebel flag on anything I own or if I glorified confederate leaders.

I don't really care for all the statues, yet at the same time I'm not offended either. I really hardly ever notice them. Most courthouses in Texas have a soldier with a fun statue on the lawn. If it wern't for the inscription on the base you couldn't tell if he's a reb or a yank. I do know Robert E. Lee encouraged people NOT to put up a statue of him for the very reason that it might hinder the healing of the nation. As a Catholic I'm amused at how many folks in the south accuse us of being statue worshipers while they defend and almost worship their own favorite statues.

greybeard":wd22zbnb said:
TexasBred":wd22zbnb said:
As a Catholic I'm amused at how many folks in the south accuse us of being statue worshipers

That's a new one on me. Honestly, I've never heard that.
Tis true. All catholic churches have statues of Jesus, Mary and Joseph here there and yonder. (won't ever see anybody worshipping one though). It's usually the hard headed uneducated folks like CB that do it. :lol: :lol: :hide:

TexasBred":21k3jh1t said:
greybeard":21k3jh1t said:
TexasBred":21k3jh1t said:
As a Catholic I'm amused at how many folks in the south accuse us of being statue worshipers

That's a new one on me. Honestly, I've never heard that.
Tis true. All catholic churches have statues of Jesus, Mary and Joseph here there and yonder. (won't ever see anybody worshipping one though). It's usually the hard headed uneducated folks like CB that do it. :lol: :lol: :hide:

Not just there. My dad's family are Catholic, I have heard that stated by them. These hard core Bible Thumpers like to find fault in everyone's religion but their's. Not directing that at CB. I live in the heart of fundamental land.

Latest posts