Lexington Moving Statues

Help Support CattleToday:

So that we can move on and improve race relations... I will forgive the past and move on...... Is anyone willing to provide me 40 acres and a mule ?..... Get me the deed before 5pm and I will settle for 30 acres and a shorthorn :cboy: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just wonder if all this hubbub has been counterproductive... It was one thing if 'kids' were flying the confederate flag just because it was cool, they weren't looking to offend anyone, so no harm, no foul.. However, now, despite the flag itself not being at fault in and of itself, you'd have to have lived under a rock to know that it does represent oppression to some people, and continuing to fly it is no longer excusable due to just being uneducated about it.. Now it's being flown to deliberately offend people, and that's the part that bothers me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dukes_of_Hazzard

No one marched, looted and tore statues down in 1979 because of some stupid tv show. Now its the in thing to do and all the followers are jumping on the rebel flag. Religion in schools and public places got a big kick in the teeth with our new POTUS, so now the idiots are on the flag. The reason most folks fly rebel flags is because their rebels and aren't going to let some idiot tell them what to do.
I was more into the black lives matters deal and the cops killing blacks and unarmed civilians, but that didn't gain traction so the sharptons and jacksons moved on to something else. Sorta like Russia and the dumos.

True Grit Farms":36rr1lqp said:

No one marched, looted and tore statues down in 1979 because of some stupid tv show. Now its the in thing to do and all the followers are jumping on the rebel flag. Religion in schools and public places got a big kick in the teeth with our new POTUS, so now the idiots are on the flag. The reason most folks fly rebel flags is because their rebels and aren't going to let some idiot tell them what to do.
I was more into the black lives matters deal and the cops killing blacks and unarmed civilians, but that didn't gain traction so the sharptons and jacksons moved on to something else. Sorta like Russia and the dumos.
And then I look at your quote at the bottom of your post. Your family must have been big into slavery or have you really ever picked any cotton? A shame you couldn't have lived back in those days. You would have fit right in with the hate groups of the time.

TexasBred":2dvl8w9l said:
True Grit Farms":2dvl8w9l said:

And then I look at your quote at the bottom of your post. Your family must have been big into slavery or have you really ever picked any cotton? A shame you couldn't have lived back in those days. You would have fit right in with the hate groups of the time.

We think alike, TB. I read Vince' s post (Not one of his most lucid), then I looked at his signature line.

His post covers a lot of ground. The Dukes of Hazzard, Religion, Rebel Flags, Sharpton, Jackson, Cops, Russia, Politics, etc. He needs to fit the kitchen sink in there somewhere and he has As The World Turns covered.

A lot of teens have to rebel against *something*.... some of them continue to, without ever knowing what exactly it is..

I thought the last POTUS was the problem and this one was going to make everything great again :?:

In some of my roundy rounds around the field, thinking, I came up with the idea that the fair wage that ought to have been paid to the slaves is now being paid, with interest. Just a different way of looking at it.

TG, it's "We'd HAVE picked our own cotton", not OF.

I saw that on a truck a old man was driving. Ron the trouble makers go from one thing to another, it's the way they make their living. They have good flock of sheep and are building as they go.
What's the next crisis on their agenda? Banning guns was the plan but a crooked woman underestimated the wolf population.

True Grit Farms":2xdz1htl said:
I saw that on a truck a old man was driving. Ron the trouble makers go from one thing to another, it's the way they make their living. They have good flock of sheep and are building as they go.
What's the next crisis on their agenda? Banning guns was the plan but a crooked woman underestimated the wolf population.

There will always be work for trouble makers.

You just cannot let them get you too riled up.

skyhightree1":vx7oj2kc said:
ddd75":vx7oj2kc said:
USA.. the very best.. the very worst.

come here, we'll change for YOU.

TRANS rights #1

GAY rights #1

BLACK rights #1

LATINO rights (darker tone ) #1 (lighter tone = WHITE!)

WHITE rights .... Last.

Hmm... Wheres the native rights at? I don't recall whites adapting to native ways.. I think whites came and forced their "agenda" and made everyone else accept their agenda... Ya it's no fun when the rabbit has the gun...white rights have been going on since hitting this land.

so white people are now at the bottom of the pole since they've 'been on top long enough' huh?

lol

what 'agenda' are you talking about? Land ownership, freedom, and the people to govern themselves?

That WHITE AGENDA.. that created the greatest country ever.

CNN is back on they have some more good points for you to listen too.. :lol2:

ddd75":2ru4uxnk said:
skyhightree1":2ru4uxnk said:
ddd75":2ru4uxnk said:

TRANS rights #1

GAY rights #1

BLACK rights #1

WHITE rights .... Last.

Hmm... Wheres the native rights at? I don't recall whites adapting to native ways.. I think whites came and forced their "agenda" and made everyone else accept their agenda... Ya it's no fun when the rabbit has the gun...white rights have been going on since hitting this land.

so white people are now at the bottom of the pole since they've 'been on top long enough' huh?

lol

what 'agenda' are you talking about? Land ownership, freedom, and the people to govern themselves?

DDD had just offered up another gleaming example of ignorance... Congratulations... Greatest country with the greatest problems... Founded off of greed and thievery...

HDRider":39efmd2h said:
Caustic Burno":39efmd2h said:
greybeard":39efmd2h said:
I never really thought (and still do not think) of most historic statues as being celebratory. It's just a way of denoting events and those who participating in those events. What we are seeing now is no less alarming than what the Taliban and ISIS is been doing to centuries old statues and buildings in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it's exactly how history gets 'lost'.
By the same premise, how long before some snowflake or blizzard of snowflakes decides the Alamo should be razed by bulldozers since that was a battle that was lost..or that long black wall in DC with all those Vietnam veterans' names inscribed should be torn down since we lost that war? How far in the future will it be, before the same frame of mind decides all the statues of historical figures that ever owned slaves should come down? Goodbye Washington, Jefferson, and a slew of others, including this one:
sam-houston-statue.jpg

General Sam Houston.

Far fetched you say?
Think again.
http://kxan.com/2017/05/30/campaign-sta ... n-houston/

Very well said
Agree...
Agree also

The Confederate flag still means a lot to some of us.
Seems all that negativity about the flag and statues started when that idiot kid went to shooting people in a church and they had a picture of him with a Confederate flag.

Irks me when the liberals and the far right extremist disrespect that flag which they know nothing about.
If they could I guess they would tear down my avatar.

Ryder":1vyhvlpi said:
Seems all that negativity about the flag and statues started when that idiot kid went to shooting people in a church and they had a picture of him with a Confederate flag.

Irks me when the liberals and the far right extremist disrespect that flag which they know nothing about.

But within that, you have to accept that no one "owns" the flag or its meaning; there are other groups of people to whom it also "means a lot" but that meaning is different than yours. That includes not only blacks and progressives (for whom the flag likely has a negative connotation), but, yes, people like Dylann Roof. The flag has a very strong meaning for him as well. And he didn't learn that in a vaccuum.

An interesting exercise for those interested in truly wrestling with these tough issues: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ottom-well
It definitely gave me some things to think about...I like to challenge my views

Ryder":140xvju7 said:

Noone is offended by that flag because very few even know what flag it is. I've always encouraged people to at least use one of the official flags of the Confederacy. People use the so called "battle flag" because they want it to pi$$ people off and stir up negative emotions. The "in your face" crap and it usually accomplishes just what they wanted.

ddd75":1e856xta said:
skyhightree1":1e856xta said:
ddd75":1e856xta said:

TRANS rights #1

GAY rights #1

BLACK rights #1

WHITE rights .... Last.

lol

Your post screams "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HISTORY!" While it may be somewhat unpopular to say this, Europeans stole America from the Native Americans. Oh, I know you'll say "They sold it off! It was fair!" It wasn't fair. The Europeans got them drunk, wrote confusing contracts IN ENGLISH, allowed people to move in to protected areas anyway, gave them blankets with smallpox, forced them onto land that wasn't worth squat...do you want me to keep going?

TexasBred":3m7wl2ch said:
Ryder":3m7wl2ch said:

Noone is offended by that flag because very few even know what flag it is. I've always encouraged people to at least use one of the official flags of the Confederacy. People use the so called "battle flag" because they want it to pi$$ people off and stir up negative emotions. The "in your face" crap and it usually accomplishes just what they wanted.

It's not like you to back up TB. The Dukes of Hazzard was on TV for seven years not including reruns and no one was offended. Why?

Bestoutwest":7k6263th said:
ddd75":7k6263th said:
skyhightree1":7k6263th said:

lol

Your post screams "I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HISTORY!" While it may be somewhat unpopular to say this, Europeans stole America from the Native Americans. Oh, I know you'll say "They sold it off! It was fair!" It wasn't fair. The Europeans got them drunk, wrote confusing contracts IN ENGLISH, allowed people to move in to protected areas anyway, gave them blankets with smallpox, forced them onto land that wasn't worth squat...do you want me to keep going?

everyone is a saint except white people..

I got it.. :lol2:

True Grit Farms":tasrpzd0 said:
TexasBred":tasrpzd0 said:
Ryder":tasrpzd0 said:

It's not like you to back up TB. The Dukes of Hazzard was on TV for seven years not including reruns and no one was offended. Why?
It was done in a way that was not intended to offend anyone. A lot of laughter, unbelievable BS and one cute girl. ;-)

ddd75":10wg449f said:
everyone is a saint except white people..

I got it.. :lol2:

If you'd pick up a history book for anyone above the 3rd grade, you'd notice that Europeans have a pretty consistent pattern of screwing over native populations. There were some Europeans that lived in harmony with the natives, but they were generally not sponsored by the government, rather they usually had a mutual need based on commerce. And FYI, Dances with Wolves isn't one of those stories.