Let's Bicker

Help Support CattleToday:

flatrock9":1uf0xw9e said:
Okay I'm green as a willow branch on all this. I just finished the 15 page "What to look for in a Brahman" thread. My brain hurts.

I understand Angus selling higher to the colder feedlots and Brahman selling higher to more Southern feedlots. Is it me or are Angus preferred because of the marketing to the general public? (100% Angus Beef!) Is the taste, texture, marbling, etc. that much different? Is the only difference to the end consumer the marketing of Angus being superior?

In a word, yes.

I'm not going to bicker your point. Cattle change constantly.
Just because Angus has not changed it's color, does not mean it has not changed pheno-typically or genetically. I can remember being at NYSF and having a huge debate as to whether the fair would disqualify some animals because they were offspring of a bull that had his papers pulled because he had HOLSTEIN in his "real" pedigree. Nope, they did not pull them and the registration papers were never pulled on his offspring.
Also, I can remember the AAA running ads bashing the "elephant breed" (Simmental), but the following year, the Angus bulls made the Simmental bulls look like midgets.
Angus used to be known for their muscling. For the past, maybe, 10 years, they have struggled to have better rear quarters than a Hereford.
I am a true supporter of the Simmental breed. I have bred them since their imported semen into USA, having my first registered calves in 1972. This is the 3rd time I have used the "letter E" to identify our calves. I have had registered 1/2 bloods that were BLACK in 1972 (with white markings). I actually have one cow family that goes back to my original 1/2 bloods (red lines).
We, as breeders, were not stupid. We knew we had problems with the breed for the commercial man to use. WE IMPROVED on the breed, making them easy calvers, easy keepers, and structurally sound. They were already well muscled, easy marbling, heavy milkers, fertile myrtles and fast growers.

Period... End of story... :banana:

TennesseeTuxedo":2dfw8i6l said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2dfw8i6l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2dfw8i6l said:
Shame they never caught on in a big way. I like the original Simmentals.
I don't understand what you are saying??

I preferred the breed the way they looked before they turned them black.

TT. Get back in your box.

TennesseeTuxedo":qrhsq9w9 said:
Bright Raven":qrhsq9w9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":qrhsq9w9 said:
I don't understand what you are saying??

Jeanne, look over poor TT. He is not real gifted.

Watch it squirt!

TT. Seriously, no one but a few diehards would want to go back to the problems the ASA breeders have been trying to mitigate in the old line Simmentals. You are out of your head.

Bright Raven":2x2i2514 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2x2i2514 said:
Bright Raven":2x2i2514 said:
Jeanne, look over poor TT. He is not real gifted.

Watch it squirt!

TT. Seriously, no one but a few diehards would want to go back to the problems the ASA breeders have been trying to mitigate in the old line Simmentals. You are out of your head.

Am I not entitled to an opinion that is contrary to yours?

I like old line Simmentals.

TennesseeTuxedo":1xzg4npg said:
Bright Raven":1xzg4npg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1xzg4npg said:
Watch it squirt!

Lol. You are good at using other people's lines. Just like you stole the term "booger eater" from fat man.

I, personally, LOVED all the color patterns. It was like opening Christmas presents, every time a calf was born. Is it a heifer or a bull, is it red or black, does it have spots or not, does it have a white face or not, is it horned or polled? (most of those things still make finding a newborn exciting!!!).

Bright Raven":39y9bh2x said:
TennesseeTuxedo":39y9bh2x said:
Bright Raven":39y9bh2x said:
Mom

Lol. You are good at using other people's lines. Just like you stole the term "booger eater" from fat man.

Ron, I'm a purest, I appreciate the breeds in their intended colorations not all painted black in an effort to chase Angus dollars.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":337217vy said:
I, personally, LOVED all the color patterns. It was like opening Christmas presents, every time a calf was born. Is it a heifer or a bull, is it red or black, does it have spots or not, does it have a white face or not, is it horned or polled? (most of those things still make finding a newborn exciting!!!).

I agree. No more bickering. You're a very nice lady.

TennesseeTuxedo":xg7zrc94 said:
Bright Raven":xg7zrc94 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":xg7zrc94 said:

Ron, I'm a purest, I appreciate the breeds in their intended colorations not all painted black in an effort to chase Angus dollars.

You don't understand. Give me a call. I will explain it to you. It is much more than changing color. Jeanne knows. Maybe she has more patience with you than I do.

Bright Raven":23yb21h0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":23yb21h0 said:
Bright Raven":23yb21h0 said:

You don't understand. Give me a call. I will explain it to you. It is much more than changing color. Jeanne knows. Maybe she has more patience with you than I do.

Not calling and as Clark Gable so aptly once said "Frankly, I don't give..."

No bickering here ...

I have two ampules on an old simmental bull from the 1970s in my tank.

They are free to any CT member on the condition I get to see pictures of the calves.

WalnutCrest":3tocrsdr said:
No bickering here ...

I have two ampules on an old simmental bull from the 1970s in my tank.

They are free to any CT member on the condition I get to see pictures of the calves.
What bull?

Bright Raven":1zwf0gb4 said:
JWBrahman":1zwf0gb4 said:
JWBrahman":1zwf0gb4 said:
You got a link to back that claim up about binomial nomenclature?
It's called binomial for a reason.

Yep. Binomial nomenclature was fundamental to biology until the molecular age. My son who his PhD in molecular biology, cancer cell study, says they pay little attention to taxonomy today. They are doing everything at the molecular level.

YES. I used the following reference:

Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M., eds. (2005). "Bos taurus". Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494

Excerpt:

Cattle were originally identified as three separate species: Bos taurus, the European or "taurine" cattle (including similar types from Africa and Asia); Bos indicus, the zebu; and the extinct Bos primigenius, the aurochs. The aurochs is ancestral to both zebu and taurine cattle. These have been reclassified as one species, Bos taurus, with three subspecies: Bos taurus primigenius, Bos taurus indicus, and Bos taurus taurus.

Edited to add: The animal science folks are probably unaware of the change ( not intended to be an insult because they don't deal in the pure biological sciences) but because of that most animal science folks are going to follow the preclassification taxonomy.

Unless it's adopted as a standard usage by everyone it's just one man's book. Every university program still uses the standard Bos taurus and Bos indicus.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second since I have a degree in plant and soil systems:
What this guy is doing is lazy. He is trying to squeeze natural varieties and cultivated varieties into something called sub species. These designations have been used and universally accepted within binomial nomenclature for decades. I doubt a Botanist will ever start using three terms without the cv or var suffix.

Every generation thinks it is more clever than the last. Time and experience usually prove otherwise.

Our solid commercials can be boring when compared to some of the older breeds, just a pity that commercial selection discriminates against colour in most cases - here is a tricolour Nguni calf to add to your pasture ornaments;