let's play guess that cross

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Just for fun, who wants to take a stab at what breeds make up this little heifer...

IMG_20130718_183651_zps04562d00.jpg

IMG_20130718_183657_zps3374d852.jpg

Well that went quick...
Yeah the calf is over 3/4 Simmental and about 1/8 Char.
The last eighth is is some kind of mix of Simm/BB/Holstein at such small amounts that it won't really manifest in the calf at all.
Mom is a red mostly Simmental sired by Sundance Kid (thru Select Sires), dad is a black Simmental (thru retired inventory) Orlando...
I'm a little surprised since both parents were pretty solid coated.
I guess it goes to show how much of a wild card the Char gene can be if breeding for color is important to you.

Be thankful you ain't selling him in the south. By the way Charlois isn't the wild card in this mix its the Simmental . Had a lot of calves colored like this back in the 70's when we tried Simm's. That experiment lasted one season after we got the check on that group of calves .

Actually, it's likely both the Sim and the Char weighing in.
Have had - and still have a few hanging around - dilute gray/silver cows going back to yellow/flowered Simmental bulls I used back in the 1980s - and have a number of white cows descended from a little yellow cow with finching that I bought in '87 that was some sort of Charolais-Hereford cross.
Not at all unusual to see a skunk tail or finching on otherwise solid color cows with Charolais in their background

Well now that the answer is out I know at least 1 of my original guesses was correct with Charolais. My other guess would have been either Gelbvieh and possibly some Shorthorn influence.

We had several from the two homo black bulls we got from Select Sires, I actually contacted them about it.
This was their reply (after much discussion):

When Charolais is mated to black, as long as Charolais 'diluter' gene is present, you will end up with calves that are some shade of gray (may range from dark gray to nearly white)
Yes, the odds seem unusual in the case of your cows/calves, but it's possible

So that diluter gene must either be present or not... I'm guessing the % of char doesn't matter... just if they have that gene in them at all.

"that diluter gene" is found in the simmental as well, I guess that is what Lucky P was getting at.

glaicer,
I've seen plenty of black Charolais-influenced cattle with white tails, like we'd often see with Pinzgauer crosses, and have seen quite a few diluted red (yellow) Charolais-x cows with as much or more 'finching' than you'd see in some purebred Pinzgauer cattle.

Those color-dilution/color-inhibitor genes can roll along for a long time. Have several 'white' cows in the herd here that are less than 1/8 Simmental - and less than 1/128 Charolais; may not be much of the actual Char genetic material still hanging around - but the color dilution/inhibitor is still making its presence known.

The funny thing is our neighbor has PB Pinzgauer, I need to show him this calf and ask him teasingly if his bull was out last October...
But I know he wasn't because her AI date lines up and she was in the barn.

Latest posts