let's play guess that cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus,
If your commercial Angus is black, she does not have the color dilution gene - if an animal has it, it is expressed, albeit with incomplete penetrance - color may range from dark charcoal to brown to gray to almost white. My guess is she was bred to a Char bull or or something with color dilution/inhibitor genes.

Lucky_P":1eni9mue said:
Taurus,
If your commercial Angus is black, she does not have the color dilution gene - if an animal has it, it is expressed, albeit with incomplete penetrance - color may range from dark charcoal to brown to gray to almost white. My guess is she was bred to a Char bull or or something with color dilution/inhibitor genes.
Nope no Char bull or bull of other breed, just an angus bull around that time. All I know that I got a smokey calf out of her. To be fair the black cow wasn't purebred and she came from a mixed breed herd when I brought her as a calf.

T,
If this cow is really BLACK, she's not got a color dilution/inhibiter gene; it's not recessive. If you got a smokey calf out of her, either she's not BLACK, or something with the color dilution gene visited her when she was in heat. Maybe a weanling/yearling bull?

Lucky_P":2lhcrza8 said:
T,
If this cow is really BLACK, she's not got a color dilution/inhibiter gene; it's not recessive. If you got a smokey calf out of her, either she's not BLACK, or something with the color dilution gene visited her when she was in heat. Maybe a weanling/yearling bull?
She is coal black and the nearest available bull was 15 miles away. The only animal with the nuts was a black Angus bull around that time when we bred her. I don't know how she ended up with a smokey calf.

Latest posts