Leasing a farm almost an hour away

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had my grandmother's place 17 miles from home since the '80s. It does take an hour or better to get there with equipment, less with a vehicle.

Ran up to 100 pairs for summer pasture, and put up 200 acres of hay. Brought cattle home in the fall/early winter after calves were off. Some years cows came home in late Oct, sometimes after the first of the new year in Jan. Winter days were short, took most all daylight hours to trail cattle 17 miles but cold temps cooperated.

Drought in 2002 along my health problems forced my first near total herd dispersion (at the bottom of the price cycle :( ) I've rented the pasture out since then. Never got my herd built back up to need it myself and sold out my cows for good in 2012.

Still taking in 60+ pairs for summer/fall/early winter pasture from the same family. They usually take the cows home around Christmas.

I tell him to use his own judgement and take the cows home when the snow gets too deep to graze or it just gets too cold to run up there and chop ice. Not the best road in the wintertime it can be a real be nice :devil2:

The guy with the cattle is 10 miles away. He and his family now keep up the fence, check their cattle, and do whatever needs doing, instead of me ;-)

I still put up the 200 acres of hay with help from a good neighbor who keeps an eye on things. He gets a share of the hay to feed his sheep, and I now sell my share since I have no livestock anymore. Got half of my half of the hay sold. Lots of hay around this year, so might have some carryover.

I guess the point of my post is that an hour away is really no big deal. It can be done if you set your mind to it, and it sure doesn't hurt to have a good neighbor you can depend on nearby to keep an eye on stuff for you.

perhaps wildlife camera around the gates and access points would be good if they're that far away.. Even if your cattle would grow wheels, it would increase your chances of recovering them

All of mine are that far away. Not a big deal... usually. It takes a little more planning during hay season as well as a self dumping trailer. Yes you will lose an animal every now and then that other wise could probably be saved but lease land is almost impossible to find so you take what you can get. A neighbor who knows you are a long way away is very valuable but not not a necessity. Older gentle cows help a lot. Ear tags with your name and phone number on them also help. Bulls can be an issue. I run a tight calving period to help control a lot of problems and transportation issues and move the bull once he gets his business complete. I blood test the cows for pregnancy and move any open cow to where the bull is or cull her depending on the situation.

The old saying about keeping them bred and fed and they won't go anywhere is basically true. One 80 acre spot I currently have has a very large hole in the fence (from hogs) that I noticed on my last visit. The cows won't go through it because where they are at has better grazing and they are about 4 months bred. No reason for them to leave.

I wouldn't do it with all heifers or real valuable cows but for older commercial cows it is not a problem and gives me 30 or 40 more calves a year to market. It also keeps the bull from getting bored and in trouble.

bird dog":166iv19g said:
All of mine are that far away. Not a big deal... usually. It takes a little more planning during hay season as well as a self dumping trailer. Yes you will lose an animal every now and then that other wise could probably be saved but lease land is almost impossible to find so you take what you can get. A neighbor who knows you are a long way away is very valuable but not not a necessity. Older gentle cows help a lot. Ear tags with your name and phone number on them also help. Bulls can be an issue. I run a tight calving period to help control a lot of problems and transportation issues and move the bull once he gets his business complete. I blood test the cows for pregnancy and move any open cow to where the bull is or cull her depending on the situation.

The old saying about keeping them bred and fed and they won't go anywhere is basically true. One 80 acre spot I currently have has a very large hole in the fence (from hogs) that I noticed on my last visit. The cows won't go through it because where they are at has better grazing and they are about 4 months bred. No reason for them to leave.

I wouldn't do it with all heifers or real valuable cows but for older commercial cows it is not a problem and gives me 30 or 40 more calves a year to market. It also keeps the bull from getting bored and in trouble.

Why would you not do it with all heifers and a bull?

Heifers need to be watched a little closer during calving is the only reason. They are also not as content as old cows and still do a few dumb things like calves.

bird dog":23vvu5bk said:
Heifers need to be watched a little closer during calving is the only reason. They are also not as content as old cows and still do a few dumb things like calves.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not calving out the heifers, just getting them bred and selling them.

Brute 23":3fw9vfq1 said:
bird dog":3fw9vfq1 said:

:nod: At a minimum I would take some good old easy going mommas over there to lead the herd.
X2.
Ask me what happens when you get a crazy one.

tom4018":1f6k8nt7 said:
How did it go today?

The one thing I've learned is that it seems most people with land to lease describe it better than it is. The place hasn't been touched in over a year, grown up pretty bad. The main pasture will be fine with one cutting but the fence rows are a mess. 5 strands of barbed wire and probably 1/2 of it is in need of repair and the fence rows are really grown up with all kinds of everything bad. It's just too far for me to take on all that needs done, if it was pretty much ready to go I'd lease it but as usual for me another not ready for primetime piece of land-- :bang:

Yep, everyone would like for you to pay them a few thousand dollars every year and let you re fence and clean up there land. Then you get it done and they tell you your gone as soon as your lease is up. It's about impossible to rent land around here.

lease land is gold around esp if the land owner knows that.i know woody brushy pasture that leases for $25 to $30 an ac take it or leave it.