Leasing a farm almost an hour away

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a farm Thursday to possibly lease. It's 55 minutes from my house, 71 acres, fully fenced (5 strands barbed wire), year round water, nice barn to put working facilities around. How many of you have places that far away from you? How often do you go there? What are the things you do to make it work from that distance?

Almost everything is at least an hour away. It's not that far but it's steep dirt roads. I try to see them every third day during calving and feeding time of year but for the most part they're on their own. Once the rain hits they go weeks at a time with no interaction with me. I do have a set of cows that I only see except for binoculars at weaning time.
As far as making it work, use genetics that don't need help and are suited to that place and let them do it and don't look back. Right up front you'll have some cattle that can't handle that but once you let those fail and get rid of them then you're set.

My furthest place is 15 minutes and I hate it. Hour away I would have no peace as I would worry all the time. I like being able to run over and check things. I would turn that lease down its bad enough calves grow wheels sometimes on sale days when you are close by and if someone watches or knows you are out of town they can clean you out. Good Luck in whatever you decide

I'm wondering about putting groups of heifers that are ready to breed. There would be no calving as they would be sold when they are 3-4 months confirmed bred.

My farthest is an hour away, I have about 30 pair on the place and I go about every 3 days, when they are calving and when I'm have more sickness I go about every other day. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

tncattle":23dc9yd4 said:
I'm wondering about putting groups of heifers that are ready to breed. There would be no calving as they would be sold when they are 3-4 months confirmed bred.
That sounds like a good idea. Put a mineral tub out and feed them a little when you go over to keep them coming in. I think it's a good plan.

Could never do it. Too scared of things getting legs - 2 miles down the road, or somebody getting retribution by lighting a little heat - let alone an hour a way.

Some things I thought of doing that I haven't before. Branding the cattle and insuring them.

tncattle":2sygqchc said:
Some things I thought of doing that I haven't before. Branding the cattle and insuring them.
I would do both, I have insurance on all my livestock, but I don't brand all of them.

Don't see my cows for weeks sometimes when there is grass because of my job. When we are haying would be the only reason I wouldn't want them that far away.

tncattle":2e9mcx9j said:
I'm going to look at a farm Thursday to possibly lease. It's 55 minutes from my house, 71 acres, fully fenced (5 strands barbed wire), year round water, nice barn to put working facilities around. How many of you have places that far away from you? How often do you go there? What are the things you do to make it work from that distance?

Where is this property? You know I'm always looking for something to do on the weekends so perhaps I could drop in on the gals from time to time?

I have two places 30 mins away and check on them once a day during calving and about twice a week the rest of the time. The key for me is having good neighbors who will watch for cows out or anything else strange and give me a call.

We have a couple places that are right around an hour. Most of the time we check cattle once a week but wouldn't hesitate to go longer.

Its all about having the property set up to go that long. You need stock tanks instead of troughs, pastures where you can station hay for a couple weeks by just opening gates, ect.

It does effect the economics, especially if you feed a lot of hay. You might see if there is a retired person or teenager who would drop in between your visits for a reasonable cost.

If you have the time to travel that far it wouldn't bother me a bit. I would insure them but theft would be far from my mind. With my job, family, and other hobbies I personally couldn't make it work. Farthest farm from me is about 20 minutes. I like to check them daily during calving season but otherwise a week or so can pass and I don't worry.

It's very doable but it needs to hold enough to make it worth it for you. I've got one that's just over an hour away, and try to get to it once a week. There have been times I haven't seen it for 3 weeks too. Calculated risk but also has good neighbors watching out too

you can do it i know people that have cattle an hour away from home.some check their cattle once a week.some check them 2 or 3 times a week.

I have no experience with them but I wonder if it would be feasible to purchase a game camera that would send pictures directly to your computer or phone. If they were placed close to their water, hay, or mineral sources that might be a way that you could monitor if one was having a problem or might throw a flag to you if you never saw on the pics.

It's 20 minutes drive for me to get into town, I'd consider putting them anyplace along that road, but I like keeping a close eye on them... I see mine daily... I just can't trust anyone or any piece of equipment (waterers, fencers, etc). I'd probably check them 2-3 times a week if they were on another property.

Latest posts