Laptop bit the dust

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2u2utnaf said:
You should have independent computer store that works on stuff. They are usually good folks and can steer you in right direction

:nod: I'm well pleased with the quailty and service at the local place I bought from. Something you don't get at the big box retail stores. These folks have been in business since 1991. There ought to be similar places in most areas of the country.

John SD":z9lfgayh said:
M-5":z9lfgayh said:
You should have independent computer store that works on stuff. They are usually good folks and can steer you in right direction

:nod: I'm well pleased with the quailty and service at the local place I bought from. Something you don't get at the big box retail stores. These folks have been in business since 1991. There ought to be similar places in most areas of the country.
2 years ago we had three of them in town. Now we're down to one that you sometimes can actually get a hold of someone.

With the technology available in laptops today, if you're looking for basics, it's about like dodge and chevy and ford. I like my ipad for playing, but not for work related tasks.

Dell Latitude

They are solid machines that are very capable but don't over-do it. We run a ton of them between my family and work. My guys are packing ones around at work and some of them look like beat up coke cans. My brother also uses them at his work.

I don't like my ASUS laptop. Started out good, but now the touch pad is crazy. Can't seem to find a way to fix it. It is also not totally compatible with windows 10, in my opinion. I am close to owning it 6 months now.

Dell Inspiron 13. 7000 series, w/Windows 10.

So far I'm happy with it. I haven't caught up to 1/3 of what it can do. I need a tchno-geek type to teach me.

3 yr old Lenova Ideapad--bought it new. Installed Win10 a few weeks ago--finally getting used to 10. Laptop has been bulletproof so far. I even turn it off about once every 2 months. I usually use a wireless mouse instead of the touchpad--I just never did like them much.

greybeard":r1wc0a5h said:
3 yr old Lenova Ideapad--bought it new. Installed Win10 a few weeks ago--finally getting used to 10. Laptop has been bulletproof so far. I even turn it off about once every 2 months. I usually use a wireless mouse instead of the touchpad--I just never did like them much.
Upgrading from XP to 10 has really taken some adjusting. I did it a couple of months ago and I still get lost in it at times

dun":1e16bp57 said:
greybeard":1e16bp57 said:
Upgrading from XP to 10 has really taken some adjusting. I did it a couple of months ago and I still get lost in it at times

Me too, Dun. They lost me at 7. Some things before that were almost intuitive but at 7 all that went out the door.

CB I have a Toshiba Satellite. Had it about 10 years. Probably slow compared the new ones but never had any problems with it.

TexasBred":392r79j8 said:
CB I have a Toshiba Satellite. Had it about 10 years. Probably slow compared the new ones but never had any problems with it.
Had the same one from when I retired worked great, bought a HP pos.
I just haven't kept up on the technology.
Stuff comes out new faster than my brain can keep up.

Anything from Dell or ASUS will be your best bet.
You can probably find a Win7 cheaper than a Win10, so keep your eye out for that.

I will second (or third) the recommendation for a Toshiba... they're incredibly durable!
12 years ago I had a Toshiba Satellite A40.. absolutely slow by today's standards, but it got dropped on the concrete floor at work countless times, it fell out of the bag at an airport while I was running to catch a plane.. I still have it and it works slowly but reliably
about 3 years ago I got a used Toshiba Satellite S11, much faster, though not a rocketship, a SSD hard drive really helps them along.. it's good for Windows 7.
The keyboards on the toshibas are second to none.. On my old A40, it's had coffee spilled on it, lived in an environment where metal filings and grindings were always on it.. NEVER had a stuck key, and I wish I could find a keyboard for my desktop as reliable.

My boss had an old Sony laptop that lasted him really well.. it got more use but less abuse than mine.. he spent about 8 hours a day for 6 years typing on it, there wasn't a single key you could read the letters on, and most of them had divets from his fingers.. it was pretty impressive too.

Latest posts