land for lease?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm not having much luck, how do you find land for lease in the area where you live? I know I'm not thinking of something really simple.

It is a who you know type situation. Put the word out and ask around. Sooner or later you will run into something. You need to get plugged into your local good old boy network.

Beef11":1149cgcy said:
It is a who you know type situation. Put the word out and ask around. Sooner or later you will run into something. You need to get plugged into your local good old boy network.
Could not have said it better. May take a lottle time to get into one too.

Talk to realtors. Often when people buy property they do no want cattle, just bought for the investement.
Also look around for property leasies are not takeing care of. Often times the leesor would love to have a new tenant. That's how I got some.
Add in the local paper.

Word of mouth is the best way. Or if you see a piece you think you would like to get, find out who owns it. If they aren't using it and nobody else is, make an offer.

Land around here is getting scarce, we are looking every year for something new.

Don't know if this a fair question. Is it completely up to the owner what they lease the land for? In my area do y'all know what the going rate is for pasture land?

This might sound funny but do a resume of yourself and take that around to farm managers and the like. Sometimes even the strange things work.

tncattle":1uprptwo said:
Don't know if this a fair question. Is it completely up to the owner what they lease the land for? In my area do y'all know what the going rate is for pasture land?
Most certainly it's up to the owner what use the land would be leased for. IF you find a place to lease, to protect both parties, always get things in writing. There's a lot to leasing someone elses land, as far as Pasture upkeep, fencing, etc. I would not lease anything for a short period of time either. You want something that can be leased for years, to insure you'll be able to start your production.

As far as prices? I know folks that pay what the Property Taxes are a year and some that pay over 4,000 a year for 150 Acres... It all depends on who owns the land, and how short land is that's available in a particular area, suitable for grazing.

There are many stipulations in my lease that include fences and right down to the amount of fertilizer I have to use. It is a good lease but the man who let me on it knew me well.

THere are many people who have ag exemption and lease the land to maintain it. You might find someone who is giving up a lease and assume it from someone who wants to maintain the exemption. Last year was a tough year and many are getting out.

Hunter's from the big Cities have leased many farms, making it hard for a Cowman to pay what those fellers will pay.Heck they'll trespass anyway whether they've leased it or not. I see ads all the time for Hunting groups wanting land. Rarely do I ever see any Pasture for lease/rent.

Around they are putting up a lot of high fence. Or they go into raiseing minatures. How that should be tax exempt I don,t have a clue. Just hurts real ag. all together.

Latest posts