kubota side by sides

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030":jnm3g7yr said:
Brute you have any pics of yours? Do you go with factory top or aftermarket?

I have the factory top on mine (right) but Im not fond of it. For $800-1000 you can get a metal top with led dome lights and stuff like the one on the left. Im about to swap mine out first part of the year.

20180904_202611_zps4ivfgvba.jpg

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg

Good aftermarket 8-10ply tires, a good top, and the tough country front bumper are a must for me.

Atimm693":2j2mfxhi said:
Just my opinion, it's a whole lot cheaper to change a belt every few years than it is to work on a hydro.
Polaris tried pairing the belt driven cvt to the diesel and they were the biggest pos sxs's ever made . the torque from a diesel and the clutches dont work out too good .

BobbyLummus1":1qodf42j said:
Atimm693":1qodf42j said:
Just my opinion, it's a whole lot cheaper to change a belt every few years than it is to work on a hydro.
Polaris tried pairing the belt driven cvt to the diesel and they were the biggest pos sxs's ever made . the torque from a diesel and the clutches dont work out too good .

Neighbor has a diesel Ranger and swears by it. Runs the wheels off of the thing.

Both Polaris and Kawasaki use a CVT on the diesel.

I bet a lot of the failures were from guys that never use low range. CVTs hate slipping.

Nice looking ride brute, we decided to go with the mule too. I think we are gonna look at aftermarket tops and stuff. What comes from the factory just dont seem to be that great. Hope to get ours next week. Dealer has got to get one in the color we want.

Sd1030":2dm7sujg said:
Nice looking ride brute, we decided to go with the mule too. I think we are gonna look at aftermarket tops and stuff. What comes from the factory just dont seem to be that great. Hope to get ours next week. Dealer has got to get one in the color we want.

Congrats! Its amazing how smooth they ride. :D

Atimm693":26m6yuoe said:
BobbyLummus1":26m6yuoe said:
Polaris now uses the HST transmission

Still says PVT on the website.

https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/2018/r ... een/specs/

Edit: Looks like they're available with either, Mule diesel is CVT only.

The PVT is nothing special over the other brands cvts. Its just marketing from Polaris.

Rangers have been eating belts for ever, even on the gas models. Especially with larger tires and stuff.

Clutch kits are cheap and if you are running bigger tires or pulling really heavy its a good idea to upgrade them. That applies to all the brands with cvts. The mule pro has a clutch kit and its like $80. My 13 old son installed 95% of it on mine. I only helped when we got to the spring loaded stuff. There are step by step videos on youtube.

They have some good clutch kits for the Rangers also to take out the stall and get a smoother take off.

Most brands make the cvts so that if you do bind them up the belt slips before you break any thing. A cvt is actually very strong if you set it up to be. You can break oem axles before you slip belts with a few after market changes to the cvt.

Its not a must do thing, but its cheap insurance and really helps the life of the belt. Its also makes the machines perform better. There is no real down side. Its like re-gearing a truck for bigger tires or heavier loads. Its better for the motor and drive train.

Brute 23":2fl0dbml said:
Atimm693":2fl0dbml said:
BobbyLummus1":2fl0dbml said:

The PVT is nothing special over the other brands cvts. Its just marketing from Polaris.

Rangers have been eating belts for ever, even on the gas models. Especially with larger tires and stuff.

Clutch kits are cheap and if you are running bigger tires or pulling really heavy its a good idea to upgrade them. That applies to all the brands with cvts. The mule pro has a clutch kit and its like $80. My 13 old son installed 95% of it on mine. I only helped when we got to the spring loaded stuff. There are step by step videos on youtube.

They have some good clutch kits for the Rangers also to take out the stall and get a smoother take off.

Most brands make the cvts so that if you do bind them up the belt slips before you break any thing. A cvt is actually very strong if you set it up to be. You can break oem axles before you slip belts with a few after market changes to the cvt.

Its not a must do thing, but its cheap insurance and really helps the life of the belt. Its also makes the machines perform better. There is no real down side. Its like re-gearing a truck for bigger tires or heavier loads. Its better for the motor and drive train.

First belt went over 1000 hrs on our Ranger. It's probably been the most reliable part of the machine. A lot of those towing our welding trailer, which is over 1000lbs.

Brute 23":1lvqjc07 said:
Atimm693":1lvqjc07 said:
BobbyLummus1":1lvqjc07 said:

There must be a down side or why wouldn't the factory install a better clutch?

True Grit Farms":12wizcjo said:
Brute 23":12wizcjo said:
Atimm693":12wizcjo said:

There must be a down side or why wouldn't the factory install a better clutch?

Its not so much as a better or worse set up... its about setting up the cvt to your specific use.

To some extent the manufactures have turned to a more performance set up due to market demand. A utv 10 years ago came with 23-25", 4 ply tires and you ran 25-45mph or so. Now they come with 26-28" tires, you can put 8-10ply, dot, radial tires. You can put a programmer on a new Ranger 1000 and do 80mph down the highway. The cvts now days are "built up" from factory now more than 10 years ago but they are still designed for all around purposes.

The beauty of the cvt is you can make some cheap adjustments and cater to what you use it for like trail riding, drag racing, rock crawling, or work.

I personally lock mine up so the belt pretty much can't slip. I also set it up for more low end pull even if it costs me a little bit more on the top end. That fits with what I use mine for like pulling trailers, feeding cattle, climbing hills and creeks with 4 #250+ guys, dog boxes, etc.

For some people the factory set up will last for ever. For those of us that demand more out of these things its a cheap upgrade... actually cheaper than the cost of a new belt.

Latest posts