Kubota or Mahindra - Need your opinions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Cuz-Pat

Reaction score
Folks,
I am about to purchase a new 4 WD tractor with a loader on it. After looking at several brands I have narrowed it to Kubota and Mahindra. Both have basically the same 3 year warranty. The Kubota I am looking at is the M6800 4 WD, 68 hp, with the hydraulic shuttle shift (no clutching when going from forward to reverse, wet clutch system). Here is a link:

http://www.kubota.com/h/products/m.cfm

The Mahindra I am looking at is the 6520 4 WD, 65 hp, with a synchro shuttle shift (dry clutch, must clutch between forward & reverse, do not make a hydro model). Here is a link to this tractor:

http://www.mahindrausa.com/Products/df_ ... ?proid=134

Feature to feature, the Mahindra has more to offer for the money. This particular model is an open platform model (nothing between your feet, all controls are console mounted). There is quite a difference in the weight of the 2 tractors. The Mahindra far outweighs the Kubota. Can purchase either tractor for about the same money.

Very familiar with the Kubota tractor and their reputation. Know very little about the Mahindra line but like them. Great looking tractor. Plan on buying to keep so resale is not a real big issue unless I got stuck with a lemon. Hard decision to make so I sure would like some feed-back from you good folks who may have experience with either brand.

Thanks much!

Cuz-pat,

Last year I bought a new Mahindra 7010 cab tractor (72 HP). I've got about 100 hrs on it now. I'm very pleased, and haven't had any problems. But with only 100 hrs. I wouldn't expect to! I looked at about every tractor made in the 70 HP range and decided that it was the best buy, dollar for dollar. I liked the fact that it is a good heavy tractor in it's HP range. But the main thing that sold me on it was the dealer I bought it from wanted my business. He got right on the price and has a good reputation in the area. To me that makes a world of difference. When I walked into the Kubota place I was talking to a 25 yr old kid that didn't know a box blade from a box spring. And if you're not buying a 150,000 dollar rig the guys at the John Deere place won't even come out from behind the counter. Anyway, so far so good.

Not very happy with our Kubota 6800. Hydraulics are poor and it is rough as a cob. It is so narrow that you'll have a hard time straddling a 4 foot wind row. With less than 100 hours on it the resale value dropped from $28,000 to $14,000 in less than a year! Can't sell it; just keep for raking hay. Although I'm a "green" man now; if you don't like JD I'd consider a MF.

I have a 05 Kubota M9000 90HP 300 hours and no problems so far. I think I would go with the Bota over a Mahindra. Looked at JD but they sure are proud of those green machines.My other choices would have been Kioti or MF. Just my opinion.

If I was given the choice of the 2, it would be a Kubota. We have one, and it's darn dependable. But so is our MF. The Massey has the to be the most trouble free tractor I've ever owned.Hard to beat a Perkins engine.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1i6zx8j2 said:
I have a 05 Kubota M9000 90HP 300 hours and no problems so far. I think I would go with the Bota over a Mahindra. Looked at JD but they sure are proud of those green machines.My other choices would have been Kioti or MF. Just my opinion.

I don't know why people continue to say such like "JD sure is proud of their machines".

If you would actually GO to a JD dealer you would see that they make tractors in all price ranges. For instance, they have three different levels of tractors in the 65 hp range. You can find one that is equivalent to a Kubota or like me buy the best, the 6020 series, which is the equivalent of that which the real farmers use.

If you would compare resale values you would see that John Deere retains its value better than any other tractor..

johndeerefarmer,

Do you think the quality of John Deere tractors has gone down in recent years? I've never owned one, but I've had farmers that used to be diehard JD hands tell me that they don't see that much of a quality gap between JD and some of the other brands anymore. I've had some tell me that JD have slacked off some, and others tell me that it's just other tractors (mostly MF and NH) have gotten a lot better. Just curious what your opinion is?

johndeerefarmer":384y4w87 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":384y4w87 said:

I don't know why people continue to say such like "JD sure is proud of their machines".

If you would actually GO to a JD dealer you would see that they make tractors in all price ranges. For instance, they have three different levels of tractors in the 65 hp range. You can find one that is equivalent to a Kubota or like me buy the best, the 6020 series, which is the equivalent of that which the real farmers use.

If you would compare resale values you would see that John Deere retains its value better than any other tractor..

I just don't want to own a Chinese diesel, I don't see that as better. I am still partial to Perkins.

johndeerefarmer":2wfl91ny said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2wfl91ny said:

There is the problem. My Kubota dealer convienced me the 6800 Kubota was the same as the 6000 series JD; 65 hp is 65 hp. No way! The Kubota won't develop 10 gpm hydraulics until it is at full power; the 6000 series JD will develop 10 gpm at around 1000 rpms. The frame on the 6000 Kubota is quite a bit smaller than the JD 6000. If you want to really compare JD to Kubota; compare the 5000 series JD (that's why they came out with it).

bullred":h88nbv9y said:
johndeerefarmer,

Do you think the quality of John Deere tractors has gone down in recent years? I've never owned one, but I've had farmers that used to be diehard JD hands tell me that they don't see that much of a quality gap between JD and some of the other brands anymore. I've had some tell me that JD have slacked off some, and others tell me that it's just other tractors (mostly MF and NH) have gotten a lot better. Just curious what your opinion is?

John Deere over the last few years has added cheaper tractors to compete with MF, Kubota, Kioto and others. They also started selling JD garden tractors (made by MTD, I understand) at Home Depot and Lowes to compete with others. To answer your question, if you buy their cheaper lines, I can't say that their product is any better than anyone elses but if you buy their premium products, they are worth the money..
Compare the specs on a premium 6220 to an equivalent Kubota, their ain't no comparison.............

Johndeerefarmer,
I agree with you totally on the top quality of John Deere's premium line of products. They are the best but they are also the highest. They do make cheaper tractors to compete with these other brands. They even have one line of tractors (5000 or 5100 series, I believe) that are built in India. Problem is, I cannot afford to buy one of John Deere's premium tractors. Now, if you go down to their lower priced line of tractors, yeah, I can afford one but you lose much of the quality JD is known for. Feature to feature, in the lower line of their tractors, I like the competition's tractor better. Wish I could afford one of their premium tractors but I just can't. By the way, I am not a full time farmer. I have a regular job and I have a small cow/calf & hay operation on the side. Might be different if I was full time farming.

So, the question is still at hand, of the 2 aforementioned tractors that are within my budget, which is the best buy, keeping in mind affordability, dependability and dealer service?

I do thank you folks for your input. :)

I traded a Kubota 6800 that was 3 years old and got the same price I paid for it. It was a good tractor. I would go for the Kubota over the Mahindra.

Never owned either just curious about something.

Was checking the weight on the Kubotas and they seem kinda light in the britches.
Anyone used one for 10 years or more with pretty heavy use? Hows their frame and stuff hold up?

Saltydawg":2qwlb4ny said:
Never owned either just curious about something.

Was checking the weight on the Kubotas and they seem kinda light in the britches.
Anyone used one for 10 years or more with pretty heavy use? Hows their frame and stuff hold up?

They are so light they'll beat you to death going down the driveway. About 2 hours is all I can stand in my 6800 Kubota and then I have to crawl out on my hands and knees. After 8 or 9 hours in my JD 6615 I'm tired but no worse for wear. The REAL Kubotas start with the M-110 and M-120; but they cost MORE than my JD 6615. Going cheap and then making a "redo" is a very expensive way to go.

Weight is one of the big reasons I have been considering the Mahindra 6520 4 WD, it weighs 7300 lbs. The Kubota M6800 4 WD only weighs 5185 lbs. I have used my brother-in-law's M6800 and it does feel awfully light.

The main reason I worry about weight in a tractor is because my farm is in very hilly country.
Coming down off a hill with a loaded wagon is scarey in a light weight tractor. I load all my tractor tires and hang as much weight as practical on them....makes for a much more comfortable ride off a hill.

Latest posts