KS concealed carry

Help Support CattleToday:

I am not anti-gun, but neither was I raised in this gun totin' culture. I have never found myself in a situation where I feared for my life so that having a gun would have protected me, nor do I know anyone else who has. Have we all just been lucky? Extra sensible and cautious in where we go, and where we don't? Maybe. I've never been in a serious car accident either, but should I stop driving because of the chance of it happening? I am not opposed to concealed carry, but the few times I've been in a situation where I've seen people who open carry, it has caused me some concern. I'm not up on the laws regarding it here, but it is not common. I understand the concerns of the business owners who restrict it, if not because of their own beliefs, but because of the concerns of the majority of their other customers. I'd just as soon stay ignorant of who is carrying, and if it's you, more power to you. You can still feel secure in your superiority that you're there to protect you, me and everyone else around us. Why the need to flaunt it?

IMO some, some,open carriers do it just to prove a point, to show that they're big bad a$$es, waving their rights in everyone else's face out of principle only, and not for any practical purpose that concealed carry cannot also address. What concerns me is that gun owners are like any other segment of the population, truck drivers, snake handlers, police officers, you name it. Some good and responsible, intelligent folks. Others irresponsible idiots, all with the power to harm others if they are not careful. It's those that I worry about, dangling a weapon in some's face who may decide to grab it from them and use it, where with concealed carry the temptation would have never been there in the first place.

Those are good and valid points Lucia. I've never needed my carry gun for self defense yet. But I sure don't leave home without it.

I see your point Luca but what I can't wrap my mind around is the thought process that as long as a gun cannot be seen it is somehow causes less concern? I would think that those that have a fear of people carrying weapons would prefer that they be carried in the open where they can see them. Sort of like a snake.....the ones out in the open are not the ones that bite you. It is the ones hidden in the weeds that do. This is just common sense. I live in an open carry state. I don't carry openly only concealed but when I do see someone openly carry the LAST thought that goes through my mind is that this guy is up to no good. I have never heard of someone who was open carrying pull out his gun and start blasting people. I have never seen a gangbanger running around with a gun holstered on his hip. The media over the years have demonized guns so much that it is now programmed in peoples brains to fear even the sight of one. I guess I just can't understand this mentality. I was raised in a home that had guns in every corner, in every closet and under every bed. They were more like tools. Heck we even kept a few in the barn right along side the hoe and shovel. Being concerned over someone carrying a firearm pales in comparison to someone getting behind the wheel of a 3,000 lb vehicle and rocketing 80 mph down the highway. Much more dangerous and kill a lot more people than a gun but the same folks who cringe at the sight of a revolver completely ignore and even participate in openly driving their even deadlier weapon down the highways and biways.

We have a carry license here and you can carry any way you see fit. Most chose to carry concealed if at all. Usually those who open carry choose to carry the smaller less noticeable pistols but sometimes you have the rare fella who open carries a hog leg that you can't help but notice. Personally I question why someone would do this and I don't like seeing it but I also don't like seeing transvestites or gays showing affection in public but I deal with it and understand it is their right to do so even though this right isn't spelled out so bluntly in the constitution as our right to bear arms with a guarantee that in no way shall that be infringed on. So with that in mind, I turn my head and exercise my freedom not to watch the homos' grope fest and I exercise tolerance because I understand that for a society to truly be free we must all tolerate those things we may not ourselves approve of because when we allow a government to rule us based on our sensitivities we are no longer free.

Jogeephus":a5hzq45h said:
to truly be free we must all tolerate those things we may not ourselves approve of because when we allow a government to rule us based on our sensitivities we are no longer free.

Unfortunately I think we're headed that way as fast as a rocket sled on wheels.

Oh........I sure hope I didn't just get this thread locked. :hide:

Luca Brasi":2e4bgg5h said:
I am not anti-gun, but neither was I raised in this gun totin' culture. I have never found myself in a situation where I feared for my life so that having a gun would have protected me, nor do I know anyone else who has. Have we all just been lucky? Extra sensible and cautious in where we go, and where we don't? Maybe. I've never been in a serious car accident either, but should I stop driving because of the chance of it happening? I am not opposed to concealed carry, but the few times I've been in a situation where I've seen people who open carry, it has caused me some concern. I'm not up on the laws regarding it here, but it is not common. I understand the concerns of the business owners who restrict it, if not because of their own beliefs, but because of the concerns of the majority of their other customers. I'd just as soon stay ignorant of who is carrying, and if it's you, more power to you. You can still feel secure in your superiority that you're there to protect you, me and everyone else around us. Why the need to flaunt it?

IMO some, some,open carriers do it just to prove a point, to show that they're big bad a$$es, waving their rights in everyone else's face out of principle only, and not for any practical purpose that concealed carry cannot also address. What concerns me is that gun owners are like any other segment of the population, truck drivers, snake handlers, police officers, you name it. Some good and responsible, intelligent folks. Others irresponsible idiots, all with the power to harm others if they are not careful. It's those that I worry about, dangling a weapon in some's face who may decide to grab it from them and use it, where with concealed carry the temptation would have never been there in the first place.

You are lucky I have. Amazing how fast a meth head staring down the business end of a 1911 changes his mind. The scariest part was he looked like a walking petri dish of disease. Even if I could have fought him off no telling what he could have transmitted.When he told me give my money in a sporting goods parking lot I took him dead serious.

I also believe they have a hunter prey mentality and they see elderly people like me as a target
like a single woman or mother with little kids.

the question i asked the group was..who wants to die first...thankfully i had my gun since i was drastically outnumbered

sometimes you get caught up in something by mistake..these 5 drunks thought i was someone else..or so they said..

either way..i figured it was my only choice. i took a good blast to the face before i made my move...couldnt talk for 2 days

As far as businesses posting no guns here in WI, they then carry full liability for removing your right to self defense. Heaven forbid someone is shot in a business that's posts, there is an army of lawyers ready to eat them alive.

When a business or say a mall posts, it's an invitation for murdering coward to do his deeds there.

I am a firm believer in My right to arm myself. Do I like the fact I have to have a license to carry NO. but I comply because it is the law. We do not have open carry here. There are times when Concealed is best and times where I would prefer to carry open. I do carry open when hunting and fishing as that is legal. Open carry is not a big deal if discretion is involved. the folks that have to strap a big gun to their side have little man syndrome. I carry everywhere that I am legally able too. If a business has a sign I will take my business else where. If that business is the only place I can get what I want I ignore the sign and will enter carrying.

I do exactly what M-5 does. I carry everywhere unless it is illegal. In Missouri, that isn't too many places.

The one illegal place that confuses me is buses. I've never in my life had occasion to ride one so isn't a big deal.

I conceal carry every day, every where I go. The store, the bank, the cattle market, where ever I go. If there is a rare place that does not allow I do not go into their business. Dont spend my money with them if that is what they believe.
As I have said before, even though I am in a state that allows open carry without a permit I still notice it and feel it gives ammo to the gun haters. I will just keep mine hid until I need it.

I helped change a banks policy a few months ago. I had made a deal over the phone for a loan, had to go in to finalize. The vp asked about moving my farm account to them, I said I would have until five minutes ago when I saw your "unwelcome" sign. I went through my usual spiel about bad guys ignore sign etc. He said tell this to the bank pres. He agreed with me, took about two weeks. He called me and said come on down and open your account. So I feel a little proud of myself cause I usually keep my mouth shut...

danl":27qsropj said:
I helped change a banks policy a few months ago. I had made a deal over the phone for a loan, had to go in to finalize. The vp asked about moving my farm account to them, I said I would have until five minutes ago when I saw your "unwelcome" sign. I went through my usual spiel about bad guys ignore sign etc. He said tell this to the bank pres. He agreed with me, took about two weeks. He called me and said come on down and open your account. So I feel a little proud of myself cause I usually keep my mouth shut...

Maybe they need to get a sign like this one that's on the bank down the road from me in Chappell Hill:

Latest posts