Sidearm of choice for concealed carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":c1dvohld said:
It's funny the things you remember. I come in my own house every night, with dirty hands. My mother had a dish pan, lava soap, and a big glass jar full of water at the back door for us every night. You washed your hands, or you just didn't come in. I guess tobacco gum would have been hard to get out of the arms of chairs.

Bigfoot, I doubt many on this forum have topped tobacco. Suckered tobacco. Or cut tobacco. You and I have. Is there anything harder to get off than tobacco gum?

Topped,cut,suckered,hoed,speared, stripped,baled,followed setter,loaded and hung, you name I've done it. I used to follow a setter all day as a boy for a few bucks. I wish I would have kept growing it and taught my children the value of hard work and a dollar!

LRAF":31ac5x9h said:
Topped,cut,suckered,hoed,speared, stripped,baled,followed setter,loaded and hung, you name I've done it. I used to follow a setter all day as a boy for a few bucks. I wish I would have kept growing it and taught my children the value of hard work and a dollar!

Have you set tobacco with what we called a "tobacco jobber"? Not sure how the tool is spelled. It is similar to a corn planter. One side has a water reservoir and the other side has a round slide you drop the plant into. It has sharp jaws you push into the ground that delivers the plant and water.

Edited: also called a tobacco handsetter. Found a picture.

2eq9f0k.jpg

Kind of off topic. With the frequency of shootings, the latest in FL over night, I can understand how some people are getting spun up and wanting gun restrictions. It's the simplest way the address the issue. Won;t work but I can see people thinking that something should be done. It isn;t even the mental illness and radicals anymore. Too many I think have been desensitized my hollywood, tv and video games. End of rant

dun":2bmijtcn said:
Kind of off topic. With the frequency of shootings, the latest in FL over night, I can understand how some people are getting spun up and wanting gun restrictions. It's the simplest way the address the issue. Won;t work but I can see people thinking that something should be done. It isn;t even the mental illness and radicals anymore. Too many I think have been desensitized my hollywood, tv and video games. End of rant

I blame a lot of this on social media and drugs as well we have created a generation of narcissist.
I am to the point social media should be done away with,

Caustic Burno":uri443zl said:
dun":uri443zl said:

I blame a lot of this on social media and drugs as well we have created a generation of narcissist.
I agree. It isn;t just the US. Other countrys with stricter gun laws have issues with it too. Being an old phart, I wish we could roll back to the 50s

dun":uinle6gq said:
Caustic Burno":uinle6gq said:
dun":uinle6gq said:

I agree. It isn;t just the US. Other countrys with stricter gun laws have issues with it too. Being an old phart, I wish we could roll back to the 50s

Oh yeah. I would like that.

dun":xiomeig8 said:

I agree dun. But there ain't but one thing that can fix a persons heart. And we ain't supposed to talk about that here.

LRAF":xiomeig8 said:

I've topped it, suckered it, cropped it, stripped it, loaded it, racked it, hung it, unloaded the barn, and baled it. All by hand. Enjoyed it immensely most days. It was way better than the watermelon field or laying irrigation pipe for the travelers to me.

dun":1dgs7g3o said:

The gun restrictions don't work. I just read where there may be 19 dead after a knife attack in Japan. Bring a knife to a gun fight and you probably lose. But bring a knife to a fist fight and you are probably on the winning side until someone with a gun shows up.

inyati13":v1t830go said:
LRAF":v1t830go said:

Have you set tobacco with what we called a "tobacco jobber"? Not sure how the tool is spelled. It is similar to a corn planter. One side has a water reservoir and the other side has a round slide you drop the plant into. It has sharp jaws you push into the ground that delivers the plant and water.

2eq9f0k.jpg
Its actually called a chuck-a-luck. I have both one for tobacco and one for the corn. I have used both when I was young before we had a tobacco setter. Otherwise we waited for a rain and used a peg to set the tobacco.

kenny thomas":1unocwlp said:
inyati13":1unocwlp said:
LRAF":1unocwlp said:

2eq9f0k.jpg
Its actually called a chuck-a-luck. I have both one for tobacco and one for the corn. I have used both when I was young before we had a tobacco setter. Otherwise we waited for a rain and used a peg to set the tobacco.

When we set tobacco with a peg, we called it setting "by season". The ground was muddy and you used what we called a "dibble". Pushed the dibble in the wet ground, inserted the tobacco plant and then packed the ground around the root ball.

I was maybe 8 when dad hired someone with a tractor tobacco setter to work one spring. In hiring I'm pretty sure we worked for the guy enough to pay for it. Even then dad did not like the setter, said the plants lived better when set in the muddy ground by hand.

Latest posts