Keeping The Cows Warm

Help Support CattleToday:

:lol: here in Indiana, we can go from 40 degrees to 10 degrees
in one day! The wind chill can be in the minus 10 to 20 range.
Our cattle do well with the natural wind breaks in the hills and
hollars of the woods. Plenty of hay and a tank of heated water
are all thats needed. supplemental corn gluten we use in
small amounts ( got to keep those expectant mommas from
getting too fat :p ) The occasional new calf ( we try for spring calving but once in a while we get a "surprise!) is brought
into the barn for a day or two and then turned into the lot
with access to the barn . We check the herd every day --
no matter what, and have never had a bovine freeze to death.
Its a plus not to have all those dang flys!!!!! :nod:

holly heifer":37ds1bf4 said:
:lol: here in Indiana, we can go from 40 degrees to 10 degrees

Sunday went from 70 at noon to 17 by 7 pm. It suckes!

dun":xhkwgr6i said:
Sunday went from 70 at noon to 17 by 7 pm. It suckes!
When I was raising bottle baby sale barn calves ~ that is the type of weather that would knock them down. :(

Brahma Bull":rjndzw3t said:
Of course Texas is nothing like up North.Some keep their cows in a barn,
is this correct?Does anyone heat the barn too?

No, our cows were not kept in a barn - ever. Depending on the weather (and the temperatures) during calving season, she and her calf may have been put in an open-fronted shed, but only if it hit somewhere around 30 below or worse, and her calf was just born. Calves born during blizzards occasionally ended up in the house, and spent the night on the porch - depending on their time of birth and the temps. The vast majority of the time, however, the mother was more than able to handle the job of assisting her calf in nursing, and keeping him/her warm.

msscamp":3hz2zn8e said:
Brahma Bull":3hz2zn8e said:

No, our cows were not kept in a barn - ever. Depending on the weather (and the temperatures) during calving season, she and her calf may have been put in an open-fronted shed, but only if it hit somewhere around 30 below or worse, and her calf was just born. Calves born during blizzards occasionally ended up in the house, and spent the night on the porch - depending on their time of birth and the temps. The vast majority of the time, however, the mother was more than able to handle the job of assisting her calf in nursing, and keeping him/her warm.
Well I have always wondered if some did barn the cows in extreme cold weather.I have been asked countless times during the winter by shipmates here on the ship.If my cows are in the barn on very cold winter days.Same as you I have an open front shed they go under,is what I tell them.I have a real cowboy picture on my door here on the ship,I cut out of a gun magazine.It's cowboy riding his horse with a latern in a blowing snow storm,with a hereford calf across the saddle.To me that picture says so much without saying one word.

You are on a ship? In the navy? Where are you, or is it a secret? No, we don;t shelter them, they take care of themselves. I have always wanted beefmasters though. don;t think they would do so well up here. Cold is too sustained.

I've always heard an open shed (to block wind) is OK but never to put them in a barn... sure way to get them sick. My two cents... not that its worth much.

angie":2ykaegr8 said:
You are on a ship? In the navy? Where are you, or is it a secret? No, we don;t shelter them, they take care of themselves. I have always wanted beefmasters though. don;t think they would do so well up here. Cold is too sustained.
Well I work for the Navy.Make a long story short look at msc.navy.mil.You will make enough to buy those show heifers,
why I am here.Civmar,merchant marine/mariner or DOD.It rains alot,sometimes cold as a polar bears butt and windy.Yeah I am thinking Beefmasters as a extra 401K,Reg. Brahma as a IRA and Gerts as a CD,then Red Angus as a Savings Account.They all do pretty good in Texas year round in any weather.

We do feed more hay and better quality when the temp drops down for our dairy cows. We also try to keep them in a area with a windblock, trees, etc...
Other than that we really have not had any problems with our cows in cold weather. I do feel sorry for them though, especially last year with hte icestorm we had, icicles all over them, and treacherous to walk. (for all of us)

GMN

Wisteria Farms":1uviye83 said:
I've always heard an open shed (to block wind) is OK but never to put them in a barn... sure way to get them sick. My two cents... not that its worth much.

Yes, open sheds and wind breaks are important. Closed in a barn would cause problems with damp and wet conditions.

It's better to keep the cattle with loose and fluffy hair. Cold doesn't bother the cattle, if their cared for properly.

mnmt

Brahma Bull":22yhfa0d said:
msscamp":22yhfa0d said:
Brahma Bull":22yhfa0d said:

It's cowboy riding his horse with a latern in a blowing snow storm,with a hereford calf across the saddle.To me that picture says so much without saying one word.

Yes, it does.

Latest posts