Keeping The Cows Warm

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
I tried to Google any discussions on keeping the cows warm,
winter care.Only saw an article about giving them plenty groceries during bad weather.I have a cow shed I put hay and cubes for them on those cold rainy winter days.Of course Texas is nothing like up North.Some keep their cows in a barn,
is this correct?Does anyone heat the barn too?That would cost a lot of money or lot of labor for a wood heater.Just wondering to what extent does most of you all go to provide winter care for your cows.Reading about the effects that a cold hard winter can have on cattle.Just trying to see if anything I could improve winter care for my cows.Like on those days 32*F, ice,
sleet,rain or snow with the cold wind from the North.Try to keep them dry under the shed with plenty feed on those days.
So yeah it gets cold even in South Texas for cows.

Ahhhh, I showed this to my cows, 32 degrees, it made them giggle ;-)

No seriously, our cattle have a pole shed , opens to the south, they rarely use it, even in the very worst of weather. Often times I will see them, when the wind is blowing, lay on the protected side of the round bale feeder. Heifer calves have complete shelter inside the barn. Again, they RARELY go in there, no matter how cold. Never is the barn heated, only did that when I had sick bottle calves from sale barn. Almost tempted to sleep in the barn because I worry about a fire.
Mn state law requires shelter food and water. Sometimes shelter is only a wind break, round bales stacked 2 high.
Our cattle are more affected by the heat in the summer than the cold in the winter. Only that seasons calves are grained at our house through the winter.
I appreciate your concern, is good to be a caring owner. Good luck!

A winter hair coat, a windbreak, plenty of hay and a layer of fat is all they really need most times. If it is going to be wet and cold for a couple of days some grain for energy. When the cows are laying in the snow with snow covering their backs and not melting and they're contentedly chewing their cuds pretty well tells me all is well.

The trees, hills, and hollows are the "barn" my cows sleep in. A little corn on cold, rainy nights gives them calories to burn and, since my cows live off of stockpiled fescue in the winter, they get the rest of their energy from that source and they do just fine. Cows are much tougher than people. Also, you might want to consider the deer in the woods. They receive no man-made shelter and they thrive. Since cows are much larger than deer, they lose heat at a slower rate and I would think that they may actually fare better in the winter.

grannysoo":3ba2p127 said:
I provided all of mine with a full length leather coat that's rainproof......... :D

With the hair still on it?

We also spoil our cows....give them a grain ration when the temps get below ten degrees and warm water to drink.
Either that or I don't like chopping the ice out of the tanks can't remember which but the tank heaters have been in for a month now.
We do have some loafing shelters and a overhang off the barn...amazing how with all that we do for them they still like to bed down under a tree.
Kind of know tht they really don't mind the cold when they have a couple of inches of snow on their backs. Mother nature does a good job of providind warm coats.
Spring07098e.jpg

I really wouldn't worry untill it gets really cold.
We haven't been above the twenties in weeks.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not.
Dave Mc

Now I wish I would have taken some pics of the cows while I was out there, 3" of snow on their backs. Nope it doesn't melt. They must have good insulation. They shake it off once in a while, cold doesn't bother them But, they don't like being in the wind.

Pretty pic Dave. Those cattle don't look like they are too bothered by the weather! ;-) Was watching weather channel earlier and they said Washington, Oregon to be hit by huge storm. Snow and heavy winds. Me thinks we need to quit complaining about our storm here!

Daughter just walked in. She was out visiting the cattle. She said one has about 3 inches of snow on her. She felt underneath the snow and she was hot. Good insulator that snow! They don't like the wind though like mnmt says.

32 degrees and rain is nothing for a well fed cow. They are so well insulated that snow won't melt off their backs.

dun":2yd2cpni said:
A winter hair coat, a windbreak, plenty of hay and a layer of fat is all they really need most times. If it is going to be wet and cold for a couple of days some grain for energy. When the cows are laying in the snow with snow covering their backs and not melting and they're contentedly chewing their cuds pretty well tells me all is well.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

Alice

By the looks of the avatar and name, I guess you are speaking of Brahman and Brahman cross cattle. Alot of my neighbors raise F1s and have no problems in the winter. Some may have lean to barns that protect from north winds. Some use nothing other than the trees. Kepp'em full and they'll be happy.

okay y'all that ain't cold at all. Come on here and spend a day or two. Our cows are feed in the bush out of the wind, bedding and lots of hay...rarely any grain.
and the temps...
...this morning...-27 Celcius with a wind chill to -32. For some reason inour corner of the world they think it is January.
Last January we had almost 3 weeks of of steady -32 to -40 weather. We had wind chills where for 4 or 5 days the temps were -45 to -50
Lots and lots of feed

RR

I suppose the British and Euopean Breeds can tolorate the cold much better than South Texas Zebu.Just I seen my Brahma cows shivering a bit on those cold winter days.Then again they seen pretty happy out grazing 2pm in July-Aug in 100+* temps.
I am just glad I have plenty yupon brush and lot of trees for them to use both summer and winter.Some of the farms I see in my area have nothing at all.No trees or brush,no cow sheds,worn out has been crop land(Shiner&Moulton TX) with rolling hills.Only thing to slow down that North wind is that rusty old barbwire fence,then shade in the ~Hot~ summer.
Their cows look same as the farm they are on.It's the management the way I see it.

Ok if we are all done teasing them.
I must admit during a really bad stretch of really cold weather we opened a large shed for our pairs and filled it with hay. I have to also admit that our cows went in and out. They got watered up and went back inside. Yes they are spoiled.
Oh it was -20 with around 12" of snow on the ground.
This last spring with water over ankle deep in our corrals we opened that same shed and let the ones that had not calved yet have it. Found them every night in there bedded down out of the wind. The shed was on high ground.

Ours use the shed... its 3 sided with an area of deep straw...I agree, if its super windy they go in and will stand there looking out but if its just real cold with a nice gentle snowfall they'll prefer to be out in it. What worries me is deep mud&muck... try to keep that down around water troughs.

Brahma Bull":2t9jqf22 said:
I suppose the British and Euopean Breeds can tolorate the cold much better than South Texas Zebu.Just
I seen my Brahma cows shivering a bit on those cold winter days.
Then again they seen pretty happy out grazing 2pm in July-Aug in 100+* temps.
I am just glad I have plenty yupon brush and lot of trees for them to use both summer and winter.Some of the farms I see in my area have nothing at all.No trees or brush,no cow sheds,worn out has been crop land(Shiner&Moulton TX) with rolling hills.Only thing to slow down that North wind is that rusty old barbwire fence,then shade in the ~Hot~ summer.
Their cows look same as the farm they are on.It's the management the way I see it.

That's the funniest thing I have read all week,always nice to see someone like you caring about his cattle tho :D :D
good luck
PS If you get around Shiner tell ole Waldo Boehm,Joe Stout sez hello.

HAY MAKER":1ourek0i said:
Brahma Bull":1ourek0i said:
I suppose the British and Euopean Breeds can tolorate the cold much better than South Texas Zebu.Just
I seen my Brahma cows shivering a bit on those cold winter days.
Then again they seen pretty happy out grazing 2pm in July-Aug in 100+* temps.
I am just glad I have plenty yaupon brush and lot of trees for them to use both summer and winter.Some of the farms I see in my area have nothing at all.No trees or brush,no cow sheds,worn out has been crop land(Shiner&Moulton TX) with rolling hills.Only thing to slow down that North wind is that rusty old barbwire fence,then shade in the ~Hot~ summer.

That's the funniest thing I have read all week,always nice to see someone like you caring about his cattle tho :D :D
good luck
PS If you get around Shiner tell ole Waldo Boehm,Joe Stout sez hello.
There is not much problem with brahman cattle taking the cold. The problem occurs when the temps. drops from 80 to 30 something in a short period of time.
When a norther is coming I give mine all the hay they can eat and make sure it is behind a wind break. I like to do this on higher ground as it is colder in the bottoms.
One very good reason not to clear cut your pastures. When the wind is blowing 90 to nothing the cattle will browse the yaupon and stay out of the wind at the same time.

When the Winter temps reach 20 degrees with sunshine, no wind, the cows will stand around and pant. :shock: :cboy:

Latest posts