Keeping them alive

Help Support CattleToday:

Just trying to be helpful. There are wolves in Oregon, a cattle killing pack in the next county. I will send this photo to ODFW interested their opinion.

This is what Oregon dept of fish and wildlife said

In my opinion this animal is not a grey wolf. It doesn't have the markings I would expect to see on a wolf and it is very small by grey wolf standards. If the animal was shot in the southern US or Mexico, I would say it might fit the description of a Mexican or red wolf. But since it is apparently from Canada, again, it doesn't fit the description of a wolf from that part of the continent.

I think this is a domestic dog that became a trouble maker for cattleman by attacking cattle. All that being said, there are other biologists who know much more than I do about wolves. I can put you in touch with them if you want another opinion.

He also agreed that the paws are too small.

Pretty sure he said it was an Eastern timber wolf.
There is only one species of wolf in North America, the Grey Wolf, ..with 5 subspecies. Eastern, Great Plains, Mexican, Northwestern, and Artic. No such official name as "Timber wolf" just a misnomer for Eastern Grey Wolves. most likely. The Oregon DFWS biologist is correct, in that this animal; has no features or characteristics of a North American wolf at all. Nor does the description of what the animal was doing when discovered point to a wolf. Probably a good thing for the poster anyway, that it isn't. I don't know what protections Canada has on wolves. I just assume it is similar to ours.

The hunting lodge refers to them as timber wolves because grey wolf does not sound all that exciting when trying to promote wolf hides of all different colors

"Color phase wolves include grey, tan, black, and the elusive white wolves."

Last edited:

The hunting lodge refers to them as timber wolves because grey wolf does not sound all that exciting when trying to promote wolf hides of all different colors

"Color phase wolves include grey, tan, black, and the elusive white wolves."
Yep. It is kind of like the "black panther". There is no such cat species. Leopard, Jaguar Ocelot., all spotted cats, have a black color phase. The spots are still there if you look closely. But there is NO SUCH species of feline as a black panther. Nor canine as a "timber wolf".

According to you experts, these two are too small to be actual wolves. A hired guy we had ran over the coyote coloured one nd finished it off with the axe. Some who expound on subjects they have no clue of make me chuckle.
IMG_0039.jpegIMG_1233.jpeg

I think it is very important to clearly state that the weights given in the above illustration are not "birth weights".
Big wolves start out small.
The tracks are sketches, and do not accurately show the extreme variations there would be due to weight and terrain/
surface the animal is traveling on.
Some folks say the claws of a cat will not show in their tracks, I say it depends how close the hounds are !!;)
I have seen wolf hides sold at fur auctions in Oregon, very pretty hides.
And of course there was the coyote hide that most everyone agreed had a "dog nose", but still sold well.

Here is my coyote hide. Next to it is an Arctic fox skin.
100_2329.JPG

Here's the coyote hide spread over our German Shepherd so you can see the size. It measures 62" nose tip to end of tail hairs. I realize hides are stretched in prepraration.
100_2331.JPG

I look forward to adding a wolf skin to my collection. Wolf hides are much larger. Here Are some wolf hides for sale with length.

Wolves vary a lot. The wolves I saw on the islands in SE Alaska looked totally different than there imported cousins we now have here. Wolves which kill livestock and dogs are now fairly common in this area.

The "timber" part may be locally sourced misnomer, but the eastern wolf which it generally refers to is a recognized subspecies of grey wolf and does inhabit parts of Manitoba, which is a long way from Oregon ;)

I don't know if it's a wolf or not, good riddance either way. Re. the feet, it's kind of hard to see the size because they only show from the side in the pictures.
We have a wolf problem in our area, some years worse then others. Yet I haven't seen one in real life, don't want to either if you ask me.

The Arctic subspecies of the grey wolf is larger. All arctic animals are larger. Heck, even the ravens stand 2 feet tall.

The chief wolf biologist for the entire PNW will be back from 'vaccation' on the 13th. I will post his opinion.

To me by the size and shape of head and feet that was a starving feral Germen Shepherd bitch that eeded to be shot anyway.

The Arctic subspecies of the grey wolf is larger. All arctic animals are larger. Heck, even the ravens stand 2 feet tall.

The chief wolf biologist for the entire PNW will be back from 'vaccation' on the 13th. I will post his opinion.

To me by the size and shape of head and feet that was a starving feral Germen Shepherd bitch that eeded to be shot anyway.
The Eastern wolf, which inhabits the Great Lakes region, SE Canadian areas, and SE Manitoba, is in fact not larger. The chief biologist for the PNW will still be 1,200 miles away from where this animal, which is a subspecies, was shot.

We have killed fully mature wolves here that weighed from 60 to 145 lbs. Northern genetics are bigger but wolves travel. One was trapped at a neighbor's that was collared in Washington. One of the original wolves released in Yellowstone returned to Silver's area in 6 months. Another wolf collared east of here 200 miles was shot in northern Alberta.
Single wolves especially will get pretty tough looking unless they are big enough to tackle bigger game.