Keeping the bull with the cows 24/7/365, pros and cons...

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
I have 5 cows, 4 preg already and one just calved. I am now facing the need to segregate the open cow for 6 months if I want it to calve next spring, or just let mother nature take it's course, letting them get preg. whenever.

So, what are the pros and cons to this approach. A con is obviously calving at any given time, good weather or not. But, what does it do to the health of the cow to be bred back as soon as she comes in season?

cowboyup216":1fa3v1ss said:
cons

Bull gets run down, loses condition, has lower testosterone, starts shooting blanks, strung out calving season...having cows calving year round, be breeding his own daughters, 5 isnt really enough to keep a bull busy. Sell him and just buy another bull when you want to breed em again. youd have a bunch of inbred cattle. be hard to tell when they were actually bred. Im sure I could name hundreds of more things but right now Im tired.

Pros

There really are none in my opinion.

No inbreeding worries, I will sell all the heifers calves at weaning. And, with only 5 cows, he should not get run down. I am more concerned about the health of the cows, do they need a break?

Carnivore":14bl4cv3 said:
cowboyup216":14bl4cv3 said:
cons

Bull gets run down, loses condition, has lower testosterone, starts shooting blanks, strung out calving season...having cows calving year round, be breeding his own daughters, 5 isnt really enough to keep a bull busy. Sell him and just buy another bull when you want to breed em again. youd have a bunch of inbred cattle. be hard to tell when they were actually bred. Im sure I could name hundreds of more things but right now Im tired.

Pros

No inbreeding worries, I will sell all the heifers calves at weaning. And, with only 5 cows, he should not get run down. I am more concerned about the health of the cows, do they need a break?

It all really depends on climate Spring calving means good grass for the calf and weather usually to calve in, lower prices in fall on your calf crop.
Fall calving higher prices for your calves in the spring but you carrying wet cows through the winter requireing more hay.
If you live in my enviroment of mild winters low hay consumption compared to other regions no real penality from calving year around if you have enough to make a consistent load. You get to captilize on the higher markets to get a greater return possibally on your calf crop.
There is no wrong or right way here it is what is the easiest and most effiecent in your operating enviroment.

I am penning in two pastures Sat. to turn some girls and boys into folding money.

for me, one cow caving out of season wouldnt kill me. I would rather segregate the bull than the cow though. Do you know anybody lookign for a bull? Consider letting them use yours for six months.

3MR":tpy2wp0l said:
for me, one cow caving out of season wouldnt kill me. I would rather segregate the bull than the cow though. Do you know anybody lookign for a bull? Consider letting them use yours for six months.

I have thought about that, but can see too many problems with rent-a-bull. One problem I have, is that my cows are all in different stages of pregnancy, and to get them all marching together will take some work.

My biggest question at this time, is whether or not it is bad for the cow to be bred back quickly, or to wait a few months?

I have bred mine back right away the last couple of years with no ill effects. It's just hard trying to figure out when they are all going to calf. Some days you go out there and there one is.

Carnivore":w1j00q98 said:
One problem I have, is that my cows are all in different stages of pregnancy, and to get them all marching together will take some work.

When is your last cow due?

as long as the cow has at least two months rest between weaning her last calf and calving again it won't be a poblem for the cow. She won't settle and carry the calf full term is she's not ready.

Work on nine months and ten days gestation, add three weeks before cycling again after calving. Now substract two months rest time and you'll have a date when to wean the calf. Or just wean at 8 months at the latest.

Pros.
Your intercalving period becomes shorter, meaning more calves out of a cow in her lifetime.
you don't have to feed a bull seperately in a pen.

Cons
calving year round makes supervision more difficult come calving time
you won't have uniform aged calves to sell running only 5 cows
there is no selection pressure for fertility unless your bookeeping is up to par.
Raising replacements is impossible in the same pasture

Vaccination would be tough with that kind of schedule.

It seems to me that calves born in very hot weather struggle more than those born in the cold.

With only 5 cows, your bull costs way too much for what he's doing for you. You'd be way ahead to buy 5 feeders in the spring and sell them when the grass is done.

jkwilson":27j200xc said:

It seems to me that calves born in very hot weather struggle more than those born in the cold.

With only 5 cows, your bull costs way too much for what he's doing for you. You'd be way ahead to buy 5 feeders in the spring and sell them when the grass is done.

No disagreement, but it's not all about $$$. Somehow it pleases me to have my own bull, and for him to breed my own cows. If I spend a couple hundred bucks in extra hay for the luxury, that's okay.

-CCC-":31xwu9sw said:
Carnivore":31xwu9sw said:
One problem I have, is that my cows are all in different stages of pregnancy, and to get them all marching together will take some work.

When is your last cow due?

Don't know. Three of them are new to me, and the previous owner didn't know when they had been bred by the neighbor bull, so she was getting rid of them.

jkwilson":1xfkl45w said:

Its enviroment they are acustomed to mine struggle in the cold.

Over here in Eastern WA I don't like calving in below zero weather during a snow storm and don't like calving when the bugs are all over the animals in the warm weather. We calve in March (and April this year, some new cows).
We AI'd last year and wondered why we ever had a bull on the place...may not ever own a bull again. We do have the luxery to spend some time with the gals and watch them most of the day so heat detection is very accurate...only one re-do last year. But knowing the genetics and having the option of matching the bull with the cow really makes calving a time to look forward to and seeing the results of the paring.
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

I have one cow that had her first calf at 23 mo., and has had 5 more every 10.5-11 mo.
So it hasn't hurt her to bred when ever she is ready.

Carnivore":2xjozhlm said:
No inbreeding worries, I will sell all the heifers calves at weaning.

Just a little something to think about - heifer calves have been known to cycle as early as 4, 5, or 6 months of weaning, in which case inbreeding could be a very real problem, not to mention lost calves due to calving difficulties. Do you really want to pass those problems along to an unsuspecting buyer?

msscamp":2hhubovc said:
Carnivore":2hhubovc said:
No inbreeding worries, I will sell all the heifers calves at weaning.

Just a little something to think about - heifer calves have been known to cycle as early as 4, 5, or 6 months of weaning, in which case inbreeding could be a very real problem, not to mention lost calves due to calving difficulties. Do you really want to pass those problems along to an unsuspecting buyer?

Good point, Msscamp. I can segregate the Cows/heifers at 3-4 months, and keep them from the Bull. One reason for not wanting to segregate the Bull is the concern about him going through the fence to get to the fertile cows.

But, OTOH, perhaps supersizing a fence in a bullpen might be the best option anyway. I have a few months to work it out.

All most all cow/calf producers wean their calves at about 7 months. I don't know of anyone that has a worry that their heifer calves are being bred before this time :?: I'm not saying it can't happen but, really really rare :eek: I think if someones got the genetics where their heifers are breeding at 5 6 months of age. Time to take a look :shock: You sure wouldn't be the place to buy heifers :(

Caustic Burno":15e3xzhg said:
Carnivore":15e3xzhg said:
cowboyup216":15e3xzhg said:
cons

Pros

It all really depends on climate Spring calving means good grass for the calf and weather usually to calve in, lower prices in fall on your calf crop.
Fall calving higher prices for your calves in the spring but you carrying wet cows through the winter requireing more hay.
If you live in my enviroment of mild winters low hay consumption compared to other regions no real penality from calving year around if you have enough to make a consistent load. You get to captilize on the higher markets to get a greater return possibally on your calf crop.
There is no wrong or right way here it is what is the easiest and most effiecent in your operating enviroment.

I am penning in two pastures Sat. to turn some girls and boys into folding money.
Shorty bound?

Latest posts