Ivermectin wormer pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
Any one use this kind of wormer? Ivermectin pour on? I want to get a good wormer that won't break the bank. Are there better alternatives? Can I vaccinate and worm at the same time? I think I know all the answers but need the reassurance. I make enough mistakes on my on so just getting your ideas for better sailing. Thanks

We vaccinate the cows going through the chute for preg check... We do not routinely worm once the cattle are adults.. but they do get wormed then, if that is what we are doing...

We use pour on and it was proven this past winter to do a good job... Short story, had some beef cattle getting thin with calves on them and getting corn silage as well as hay at pasture.. took fecal samples to vet as we had even tested water because it seemed like it happened when we moved them into this different pasture...
Have a silage cart with head locks... got them all caught up, took fecals on 6... and just went on and wormed while they were caught up to make sure they all got it.. pour on with a dosing gun that comes with the big bottles...
Fecals showed 2 with high worm loads, 2 with moderate load, and 2 with few worm eggs. I did not mark which was which when I took them but we did specifically do 2 real thin ones, 2 that weren't too bad, and 2 that were much better condition.
2 weeks later they were looking much better .... took some more samples at about 3 weeks?? post worming.. remembered to take samples off the 2 I know I did that had been very thin... plus 4 more random ones... worm loads were down to next to nothing... and the cows were actually putting on weight again.... the pour on did what we needed it to do right away on these cows.
Preg checked this group about 2-3 weeks ago, they had been with the bull with the scrotal hernia and were expecting a disaster... 2/3 were actually bred and all looked much better than they had been in the winter...

We worm all the calves when we run them through the chute for any vaccs we do on them...

I used the Ivermectin pour on when we worked our calves and fly tagged the cows earlier this week.
You'll get a lot of varying answers on the generic Ivermectin and pour on wormers in general.
I use it, and vaccinate at the same time.
As far as I know the issue with doing other things at time of giving vaccines is that if giving an antibiotic at the same time it can diminish the effectiveness of the vaccines.

We do both injectable and pour on in the spring and a pour on in the fall. The pour on is cheap and easy but I always wonder how effective it is. I feel better after reading @farmerjan post.

It's ok to do both . I like injectable better cause I know they get it . Pour on can get washed off or not be absorbed. That's just me and I know lots use pour on with good results.
And pour on has caused a lot of Ivermectin-resistent worms. You may not get a good enough dose for a total kill of the worms, and those that survive develop a resistance. There are some that use injectable, that still use pour-on as well, but that is mostly for ticks, lice and other external parasites.

You are only going to get resistant worms if you worm regularly, use the same wormer and run the cattle on the same ground constantly where they can pick up larvae when eating the grass down short as the larvae are 90% on the lower 6 inches of the grass... IN MATURE CATTLE.....

That is one reason we do not regularly worm mature cattle... to cut down on any resistance build up. They will never build a tolerance to worms if they get wormed all the time, and then the worms build up the resistance to the type wormer.

You will never totally eliminate worms in every animal, every time... Immature cattle; calves, younger stock and such are more susceptible and can not tolerate a worm load much because of their age, size, and because they will often eat shorter grasses closer to the ground while grazing... so are more likely to pick them up....

Cydectin is a little different formulation than Ivermectin, and is supposed to be less damaging to dung beetles and earthworms... It is approved for lactating dairy cattle as is Eprinex, another form of the "ectins" ... but Ivermec/Ivermectin is not approved for dairy.

RJ Matthews has a good chart on wormers, what they target, and all indications and dosages...and withdrawal times.... It is listed as Cattle Dewormer Comparison Chart... We are using up the ivermectin we have and I want to switch to Cydectin.

Rotational grazing helps alot... grazing calves first then following with older cattle helps, some good cold freezing temps seems to help too and we are not getting that much anymore... NOT grazing the pastures down to the roots helps... worming animals and then allowing 24-48 hours in a sacrifice lot/pasture for them to drop the dead/dying parasites and then putting out on grass that has been "fallow" for at least 30-45 days helps also... they can't get reinfected with resistant strains if not back on the same ground as fast.
The pour-ons will help greatly with the lice and various flies, and some worms etc... orals drenches and feed through helps the best with intestinal worms and such... injectables do some of both...

Just look at the withdrawal times on some... Injectables range from 21 to 50 days... orals/drenches range from 2 to 27 days... Pour-ons range from 0 to 48 days... Something to consider if you are planning to ship cattle in say 30 days....

Thanks to all for your input. One question I have is do you give the injectable wormer and the pour on wormer at the same time?

I used the Ivermectin pour on when we worked our calves and fly tagged the cows earlier this week.
You'll get a lot of varying answers on the generic Ivermectin and pour on wormers in general.
I use it, and vaccinate at the same time.
As far as I know the issue with doing other things at time of giving vaccines is that if giving an antibiotic at the same time it can diminish the effectiveness of the vaccines.
When fly tagging do you do one ear or both?

When Ivermectin came out, it was the trick for worming sheep. Unfortunately, worms in general but barberpole worms in particular quickly developed resistance and it became no more effective than water. You notice this in sheep because without an effective wormer they die.
I suspect something similar, but less dramatic, has happened with cattle.

1 ear tag is good , 2 are better . Only thing with fly tags I've found is they have a short life span . Don't put them in too early in the spring.

Thanks to all for your input. One question I have is do you give the injectable wormer and the pour on wormer at the same time?
Why would you do injectable and pour on both for worms? I use Cydectin injectable for worms and Ultra Sabre for season long fly and lice control. No need for fly tags.

Last edited:
Yep, Cyd injectable and sabre. We also spray co-ral for ticks. I also keep fly bags out. Nothing is full proof. The bags kind if keep them brushed up on the in between workings.
How long is the Ultra Sabre lasting. We fight flies every year.

Latest posts