Day 7

Help Support CattleToday:

Have you considered that the calf may be of a very independent nature
and goes where he chooses ?

Have you considered that the calf may be of a very independent nature
and goes where he chooses ?
Nope. Any cow, calf, heifer or bull that doesn't stick with the herd or lags gets my attention because there's usually something wrong. The exception is one of my cows that doesn't like to eat with the herd when I feed cubes, so she bales and either waits for me at the cattle guard or comes to the fence by the house.

All subject to change, right? The bulls tagged her this morning (it was a 2-fer) and I'm pulling them next week. Although she may not settle in this inferno heat. I have a friend that has an ultrasound and we'll preg check her at weaning. If she is bred, she may get a reprieve, but she'll still be the last to calve (5/31). But may eventually catch up.:unsure:

All subject to change, right? The bulls tagged her this morning (it was a 2-fer) and I'm pulling them next week. Although she may not settle in this inferno heat. I have a friend that has an ultrasound and we'll preg check her at weaning. If she is bred, she may get a reprieve, but she'll still be the last to calve (5/31). But may eventually catch up.:unsure:
🤭

Just because it's funny. Weaned Saturday, except for Phoebe's calf. And yet, I went out to check the weaners this morning and there she was, kitty corner across the road from their pasture, bawling with her two besties. With her calf RIGHT THERE. That's taking moral support to a whole new level. I bet she's gonna lose her shyt when I eventually wean her calf! :ROFLMAO:

And she gets a reprieve. My friend forgot to bring the ultrasound, so we'll either do it later or I'll have her pregged by my vet some other time.
IMG_20231023_083610896.jpg

Your cows are in very good body condition. Not surprised she came in heat and got bred. My longhorn backed up from August with 1st calf, to March on 4th calf... that's 5 months over 4 years... and she had twins last year in April....
If she doesn't catch or comes back in, you don't have a dilemma, she goes... if she calves, then she could easily back up another month with the next one.
And the "support group" at the fence is also since the calf lost all his buddies for awhile... he was probably just getting to where he could think about a calf for a friend... so the mom's are missing their " big babies" and he has no one to go play hide and seek with.

farmerjan, might I ask if your longhorn was running with the bull year round?

farmerjan, might I ask if your longhorn was running with the bull year round?
The bull was in for 6 months the first lactation, then we switched the next year and he was in for a year because of my knee replacements and all that stuff... He was pulled out and no one in there for 4-5 months, so she calved to him and then got bred back in less than 60 days, then out for over 6 months, then put in a new bull this july and he is out now since we wanted to move younger heifers in this pasture..so he was in for maybe 3-4 months this time. This is a pasture where we can "stash" a bull if needed and easy for me to get them into the catch lot also. We try to only do a 60-90 day breeding season most places, but sometimes it doesn't seem to get done. The thing is here we nearly always have calves, to whomever is there, born within 30 days of each other... so sometimes it is just easier to leave the bull after we put him in for breeding, for 4-6 months.... because it doesn't seem to matter who we have there, they get them bred fast. The other 4 calves up there were born within 3 weeks of each other this time. The longhorn stays in this pasture, it is too hard to try to trailer her to other places with her horn spread, and she doesn't bother anyone else we put in there with her. She likes her space, but I have never seen anyone overly shy of her, she will shake her head if someone is crowding her, but doesn't go after anyone like my nurse cow would until we took her horns off, and other cows will get into the feed trough with her, when I feed... although I usually feed her some grain separate, so no one gets poked and she is a real lady... will stay right at her pile of grain on the ground and eat every last kernel, not run to the feeder to push anyone else out.... We will pull the rest of the females out to do preg checks but she doesn't get checked... I will eat her steer calf this time... he is a chunk.... and she will be due to calve again next Mar/Apr... bull will go in there next June again with some heifers to breed so she will not be backing up again. I do not want these heifers calving in the fall so some will be 30 months when they calve..... Sometimes we stick some cows in here that have a bad foot or a limp or some problem, or out of synch with breeding the rest... but they will get moved out into a group else where for the fall/winter breeding.... had one here for 4 calves that had a lame leg/limp .... she was supposed to be a one and done, and got caught by the bull and calved 4 years straight within 30 days of the previous year's calf... then came up open, was walking good and we shipped her when we weaned her calf. Have 2 of her daughters, 1 with a calf and one bred now... It's kind of my "catchall" pasture... my nurse cow is there also and she is due in about a month...

Day 8. In prison, that is. Treating for mycoplasma and alternating between Draxxin+Dex and Nuflor+Dex. Same treatment protocol my vet had me use on my calf with a snake bite last year. Huge improvement and cautiously optimistic he'll make a full recovery. Mama's not happy but she'll thank me when the snow hits later this afternoon (on top of the rain). Will probably let them join the herd Monday, after his last round of Nuflor+Dex.IMG_20231125_084631164.jpg

Well what they heck!
I know! Started with a droopy ear. Watched him and by the 2nd day, seemed to snap out of it, acting normal. Then he started limping and noticeable swelling in the right leg. Got him in and treated with Draxxin+Banamine Transdermal but no improvement. Vet said myco and hit him hard with the antibiotics + Dex.

Latest posts