Cold day to be born!

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad you got a barn. It was down about 9° F here last night and that's the coldest it's been in a few years. Cow had a heifer about 6 PM and she was up and bouncing around this morning. Grateful for small blessings!

Holy moly do you usually calve this time of year?

I wish this one some good luck.
Bought this heifer bred, but the stuff we AI'ed is due in a couple weeks. My buddy I run cows with has already had a couple AI calves a couple weeks early. Honestly, I don't think it really matters weather wise, but I do see the benefit of calving when the weathers nice and the grass is green. Seems like that there might be a week in May like that? Last week it got up to the mid 50's. It's a crap shoot for sure.

I had one this morning and the afternoon check showed no new ones but several that might be here in the morning. Talked to the neighbor this morning. He had one yesterday afternoon and two this morning. The next neighbor passed him had his first one this morning. Talked to B's hired man yesterday. They had 16 new ones yesterday morning. Tis the season. In a week or two they will be popping out all over the place.

Attachments

• P2092354.JPG
    P2092354.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 10
Bought this heifer bred, but the stuff we AI'ed is due in a couple weeks. My buddy I run cows with has already had a couple AI calves a couple weeks early. Honestly, I don't think it really matters weather wise, but I do see the benefit of calving when the weathers nice and the grass is green. Seems like that there might be a week in May like that? Last week it got up to the mid 50's. It's a crap shoot for sure.
All january was warm here! now it's #%#$ freezing

Another new one out there this morning. Clear and cold (18) this morning but will warm up to 40 this afternoon. They are calling for snow on Friday and Saturday. I would prefer that they don't get born on the snow. But at least it is supposed to only be an inch or two.

Nice cow and calf @ismith.

I had two new calves yesterday very muddy and around 40. At almost dark one cow was in the process, so I got her up and pulled the calf to not take any chances(big bull calf). Turn them out this morning and all seemed well. I have nine on the ground in the last two weeks. I lost a calf around 200 lbs. that I don't have a clue what happened a few days ago.

Nice cow and calf @ismith.

I had two new calves yesterday very muddy and around 40. At almost dark one cow was in the process, so I got her up and pulled the calf to not take any chances(big bull calf). Turn them out this morning and all seemed well. I have nine on the ground in the last two weeks. I lost a calf around 200 lbs. that I don't have a clue what happened a few days ago.
maybe got stepped on? We've lost one or two from that, they lay around the feed bunks and pushy cows will push each other onto a calf.. Grrrrr

maybe got stepped on? We've lost one or two from that, they lay around the feed bunks and pushy cows will push each other onto a calf.. Grrrrr
That's a sick feeling when that happens. Lost a 1 day old calf that way little while back. Most of my cows will keep their new calves away from
the bale feeders and the rest of the herd a few days, but this one didn't for some reason. Found it covered with hay.

That's a sick feeling when that happens. Lost a 1 day old calf that way little while back. Most of my cows will keep their new calves away from
the bale feeders and the rest of the herd a few days, but this one didn't for some reason. Found it covered with hay.
yup, really sucks.. the calves want that nice place to lay down so it's tempting

Had my first last week. Was in the teens, so not too cold, but the 20 mph wind was brutal. I rolled out a round bale so it could get away from the hay ring. Seems to be doing well but I'm sure it would like a break from the cold. We were forecast to get to -8f this weekend, but they've changed that to 5 above. I was a bit worried with the -8 and another cow due any day.

It's -14 and windy here. Calf looks relatively comfortable but now there's another heifer bagged up and springy, hopefully she'll wait till next week.

Latest posts