Day 7

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just why? Condensed version: heifer bred late. My fault because when I pulled the bulls from the main herd, I moved them to the east 80 with Tallywacker & "his" heifers. Never been a problem before because they've always already been bred, and I like to keep the heifers there because the grass is so much better. It is what it is.

Anyway, she had her calf a week ago. Great little first-time mama and it was a big calf (definitely a Woody baby). Zero attitude while I tagged/worked her calf. Calf is doing fine but she will not join the herd. And it's not like she doesn't know where they are because they've passed through the pasture she's in a number of times, heading towards different pastures (plus, she's not deaf & can hear them). The first few days it was heartwarming because she's so attentive. Now it's just weird and a little annoying because I have better things to do than search for where she's hidden her calf - in 100-degree temps.

Anyone else ever have a cow or heifer stay away this long? And BTW I'm selling them as a pair when we wean in Oct. Odds are slim she'll breed back by the time I pull the bulls.
Day 1
1690904964544.jpeg
Day 3
1690905008428.jpeg
Day 7
1690905043393.jpeg

Patience grasshopper. Some like to bond. Are you wanting to sell her for this reason?

A couple weeks back I mentioned pulling a calf on a very hot day and then the cow got very aggressive protecting the calf. Well the second half of that story was the little pair got down into the creek through a gate that was opened by someone, most likely the power pole guys. Anyway this is a super thick area with trees, brush, poison ivy and just plain old rough country. I wasn't even sure there was water in the creek. Well I left gates open for the little cow, moved cows into the same area and even went as far as turn a few more in to this devil hole hoping they would lead her out. I saw her once after a couple days and then not again for a week. I thought there was a good chance they would both be dead. On day 10 she and the calf showed back up across the fence from where the herd was. There was a gate close by and I opened for her. Of course half my herd went through it but I was pretty sure they wouldn't go far. I was right and for two more days the whole herd went back and forth but the little pair would not follow. Finally on day 12 the little cow came through but left her calf. errrr. I got the calf close to the gate, got the cow close to the gate, got the herd close to the gate opened it all up again and finally the cow got her calf through. The herd had been in that pasture for to many days so i let them into the next pasture on their rotation schedule. The little cow did not follow. Two days later she finally rejoined the herd with the calf. Two weeks to the day. She is still over protective but at least not trying to kill me.
She is a cheap sale barn small cow with a very nice calf and will be culled in 7 months or so not because of her mothering ability, but only because her birth canal is very small.

I've had them like that . She will rejoin when she's ready . Bigger calves sometimes bully newborns so it's not a bad thing . Quit worrying about playing hide and seek with her and her calf . It bothers me more when momma leaves them by their lonesome and is with the herd across a 90 acre pasture !

She's just being a good momma, @TCRanch. She's following her God-given instincts that have served cattle well for thousands of years before the first humans started herding them. Maybe she is the lowest in the pecking order, and doesn't want to be around other cows right now. Like a new human mother with her first baby. That baby is their entire world right now. Looks like she has everything she needs, food and shelter wise where she is. Like @bird dog said...she will come around when she is ready and decides her calf is ready. Don't go looking for her everyday, either...that calf is fine.:)

Thanks for the replies! I've just never had one stay away for so long - 3 days tops. I kept worrying something is/was wrong with the calf but he's such a chill guy, he doesn't run off every time I check his navel, stick my finger in his mouth, etc.

@bird dog, I was actually going to sell her in May when we worked the herd but wasn't thinking and gave her vaccinations. Vet called her 5-6 months bred early February but clearly that was off, although he is a big calf. She honestly didn't look bred and one of my crew preg checked when we worked them and "felt something". Couldn't tell by the old "lunch on the left, rugrat on the right" visual and she's not one I'd just walk up to and bump. Figured I just wait and see what happens: either she has a calf or doesn't but can hang here until Oct when I sell the culls at weaning. If I had a spring & fall calving, I'd definitely keep her. But I pull the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning and seriously doubt she'll breed back by then (prob 2nd or 3rd week in Sept).

Good point, @Warren Allison, about being low in the pecking order. Since she was the only one without a calf, where she was previously pretty dominant, she did distance herself.

She's just being a good momma, @TCRanch. She's following her God-given instincts that have served cattle well for thousands of years before the first humans started herding them. Maybe she is the lowest in the pecking order, and doesn't want to be around other cows right now. Like a new human mother with her first baby. That baby is their entire world right now. Looks like she has everything she needs, food and shelter wise where she is. Like @bird dog said...she will come around when she is ready and decides her calf is ready. Don't go looking for her everyday, either...that calf is fine.:)
My heifers have just finished calving and I marvel at them every year how they go from not having a care in the world to overnight taking on the responsibility and worry of looking after a new born calf.
TC, my last 4 heifers calved over a week ago now but they have formed a group together in the back paddock and even though I moved the cows to the next paddock they are still back there even though I have left the gate open to join the herd. They are familiar with the rotation and usually ones with new calves will move through within 24hrs but this lot is staying put. I'll just leave them and let them enjoy their mothering experience.

Ken

My heifers have just finished calving and I marvel at them every year how they go from not having a care in the world to overnight taking on the responsibility and worry of looking after a new born calf.
TC, my last 4 heifers calved over a week ago now but they have formed a group together in the back paddock and even though I moved the cows to the next paddock they are still back there even though I have left the gate open to join the herd. They are familiar with the rotation and usually ones with new calves will move through within 24hrs but this lot is staying put. I'll just leave them and let them enjoy their mothering experience.

Ken
I'm just so used to the majority of my cows integrating with the herd; some even have it in the middle of the herd. They'll keep their calf on the fringe a day or two, but it's always close. Phoebe is the exception to my general rule of calving out heifers at the barn. But I generally kick 'em out to join the herd after a couple days.

I'm just so used to the majority of my cows integrating with the herd; some even have it in the middle of the herd. They'll keep their calf on the fringe a day or two, but it's always close. Phoebe is the exception to my general rule of calving out heifers at the barn. But I generally kick 'em out to join the herd after a couple days.
When you think about it the natural instinct would be to join the herd as soon as possible for protection from predators. I find mine will move away from where they had the calf as soon as it is strong enough to make the move. I think this is to get away from the smell of birthing fluids and the afterbirth that might attract predators to investigate. They might still stay hidden or around the fringe of the herd.

Ken

Day 9. Progress. Phoebe was with the herd that was at the south pond (the herd split). Hiked up the hill to the top of the pasture, 'bout 200 yards, and found Joey. He was mooing and roaming around, saw me & headed my way. Phantom, his grandma, was making her way up (only to beg for cubes) and I left him with her. She'll either park him in the shade or bring him down. Phoebe was watching from the dam, so I'm satisfied. It's about time!

I'll take her , sounds like she's being a protective momma . Would you rather have her kicking and fighting her baby and not letting it nurse ? Pretty pair , what's the bull look like ?

I'll take her , sounds like she's being a protective momma . Would you rather have her kicking and fighting her baby and not letting it nurse ? Pretty pair , what's the bull look like ?
She's a great little mama! If I also had a fall calving, no question I'd keep her. Or if we had an abundance of grass/hay/water, I might let her slide another year.

One look at that tall, long calf and I knew Woody was the sire. He's kind of a rangy dude and not a heifer bull, but she had the largest pelvic measurements of the '22 heifers - and calved 4 months later. Not sure why she never settled when she was with Tallywacker and my vet didn't feel anything cystic or out of the ordinary when she pregged her in Feb.

Woody is the one on the far right. Tally, far left should have been the sire.
1691190138782.jpeg

She's a great little mama! If I also had a fall calving, no question I'd keep her. Or if we had an abundance of grass/hay/water, I might let her slide another year.

One look at that tall, long calf and I knew Woody was the sire. He's kind of a rangy dude and not a heifer bull, but she had the largest pelvic measurements of the '22 heifers - and calved 4 months later. Not sure why she never settled when she was with Tallywacker and my vet didn't feel anything cystic or out of the ordinary when she pregged her in Feb.

Woody is the one on the far right. Tally, far left should have been the sire.
View attachment 33419
I have a fall calving schedule!! 😆

I bet she brings REALLY GOOD $$$
If ya get her caught now ain't a bad time to sell. Middle aged pairs bringing 2300 at enid.
Good cows are in HUGE demand

I think it is quite obvious Phoebe put off getting pregnant until she was with, what
she felt was, the better bull.
I actually had a cow that as a yearling cycled three times before she settled. Did the
same thing the following year. The third year she cycled a fourth time. She carried
her calves full term and they were healthy, but she got shipped. There is late and
then there is really late. And she had all the proper vaccines. And she calved from different
bulls. 🤷‍♀️

I think it is quite obvious Phoebe put off getting pregnant until she was with, what
she felt was, the better bull.
I actually had a cow that as a yearling cycled three times before she settled. Did the
same thing the following year. The third year she cycled a fourth time. She carried
her calves full term and they were healthy, but she got shipped. There is late and
then there is really late. And she had all the proper vaccines. And she calved from different
bulls. 🤷‍♀️
You may be right! Neighbors bull jumped over & bust through the fence twice and it sure looked like he tagged her. After I moved Woody & Willy over from the central pasture, she had her choice of 3 eligible bachelors. And then the neighbors bull busted through again. Obviously, she finally settled ;) on Woody as her choice of sire. Bottom line: she's kind of an unpredictable ho and while she's mothering up like crazy, she pretty much defeats my purpose of a defined calving season.