4.12 lbs per day

Help Support CattleToday:

Ad did not say 7 months. May have been "weaned" later - 8 months maybe. With feed, they can gain a lot in an extra month. Heavy "nutrition" to get that 1500 pounds at a year. Probably be better to look for a bull that weaned around 650 to 700 on a good grass program. That bull never ate kudzu or honeysuckle. Also that Brahma heterosis contributed to some of that weaning weight. But, I don't see much Brahma influence in the picture.

Cattle that can get to 1500lb in a year are diesel beef and unsustainable without outside income over a period of time.

Looks to me like he gained about 3.85 lbs a day for the first year.
I'd have to look but I believe most every bull I have bought generally has a weaning weight over 900, usually about 7.5 months, strictly off momma and grass.
I would expect if I were to keep my best cow's bull calves intact and ran them on good tame pasture a 205 day adj. weight of 900 would be achievable.

Looks to me like he gained about 3.85 lbs a day for the first year.
I'd have to look but I believe most every bull I have bought generally has a weaning weight over 900, usually about 7.5 months, strictly off momma and grass.
I would expect if I were to keep my best cow's bull calves intact and ran them on good tame pasture a 205 day adj. weight of 900 would be achievable.
Just not likely to happen in Oklahoma or other southern states without artificial means. Different climate and environment and expectations. Canadian cattle always seem to be bigger and stouter even with a short grazing season.

There is a big Angus breeder that has pics of bull calves as big as their mommas nursing. A vet told me a Hereford breeder had the same thing. When the calves got done nursing their mommas in the morning they got out in a pen with nurse cows.
If you got two mommas you can really gain.
I remember that happening a long time ago. I had forgotten til you mentioned it.
A well-know Angus breeder would do that.
Disgusting. Misleading. But he got away with it.

Do I figure that right?
How do ya wean a 900lb calf at 7 months?
Just genetics? 1506lbs at a year..View attachment 16233
There was a thread here recently that talked about increased heterosis as it applied to weaning weights depending on the breeds involved. Only Continental breeds were tested so no Brahman, but the Hereford/Chianina cross numbers were impressive.

I had a big Chianina heifer a while back and a little Hereford bull got through the fence. The calf was healthy and grew like mad, topping out at 825# at seven months. And it was the best of both breeds. Fat on grass like a Hereford and growth like a Chi. I loved that cow but she kept having twins and some didn't survive, and her heifers were having twins too, so I got rid of them all.

There was a thread here recently that talked about increased heterosis as it applied to weaning weights depending on the breeds involved. Only Continental breeds were tested so no Brahman, but the Hereford/Chianina cross numbers were impressive.

I had a big Chianina heifer a while back and a little Hereford bull got through the fence. The calf was healthy and grew like mad, topping out at 825# at seven months. And it was the best of both breeds. Fat on grass like a Hereford and growth like a Chi. I loved that cow but she kept having twins and some didn't survive, and her heifers were having twins too, so I got rid of them all.
The answer=nurse cows! Apparently that's the fashionable thing to do.

Latest posts