Just out of curiousity

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your cattle raising status?

• Full Time - Make a living at it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Part Time - Have full time job, but work full time on cattle too.

• Part Time - In it for the tax break and the hat too

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No hat. Just for some freezer beef and something to ask silly questions about. Lets me spend some time with my younger son. It's good for him.

Couldn't pick one of those, my answer would be:

* Have full time job, but work part time on cattle too.

By my quick calculation, in a "good" cattle year I would have to run about 150 head of cattle to replace what I make on my "real" job. While I am unable to run that number on the land I have available to me, the cattle I do own provides a meaningful supplemental income for me while doing something I really enjoy.

Can't beat that....

Who's handing out these hats I keep hearing about? Usually you get one when you buy equipment or something, but never just for owning cattle. Must be a regional thing. ;-)

Part time but the cattle eat full time. If the cattle only ate part time, I might be able to quit my full time job.

A difficult question, as I manage a pig/beef operation and am building up my own cattle herd part time.
When I owned my own farm.it was also a mixd stock farm,but I always considered myself first and foremost a cattle breeder as by the late 70's when I began exporting seedstock, the cattle had become the main operation on the farm.

Come to think of it, you're right, I did get a hat when I bought one of my previous bulls too. Actually it was 2 hats and he only cost me $200!! Problem is, he won't get more than 10 cows bred. :( Oh well, at least I won't have to worry about him jumping the fence or getting hurt. Haven't seen one get out of "the can" yet. :D

Jeese, I didn't know I was supposed to be doing this for a hat and tax breaks. Here I thought it was a side-business. ;-)

Oh, yeah, I do have a hat, but not sure if its the same hat you're supposed to get when getting involved with cattle.

Katherine

I told the kids that I paid 22 grand for a hat and they tossed in a tractor for free. I sure hope that hat last a long time it was expensive.

my- hat- that i earned is a resistol- is off too the full timer but there aint nothing better than coming home from a day dealing with john Q idiot than to saddle up and check cattle. man if i didnt have that too look foward too you might see my face at the post office..... on the ten most wanted ;-)

You guys are gonna love this. I am a County Supervisor and I'll admit a town boy living in a rural county. I attended a seminar in which it showed the upper 7 Midwest states counties that were succeeding or failing. The succeeding counties had one of three things in common and one of those was raising cattle. So I thought why not try and raise more premium beef instead of just more cattle. I have purchased a purebred Wagyu Bull and a local farmer has agreed to take care of it. We offer the semen for cost to farmers living in my county and raising the cattle here, about $3 a straw on the first batch of straws, should get cheaper. Then I bought 2 50% Wagyu and Hereford cross heifers to slowly build a herd of 3/4 or better Wagyu with Hereford and Angus. I have another farmer raising the Herefords and the deal with him is that we split expenses and calves at the end but I buy the heifers. It's a way for me to put very premium meat in my freezer and help my local farmers at the same time, the younger farmers are excited about doing something outside the box so I hope it works out. By the way first post.

ALACOWMAN":1i6sp8p0 said:
my- hat- that i earned is a resistol- is off too the full timer but there aint nothing better than coming home from a day dealing with john Q idiot than to saddle up and check cattle. man if i didnt have that too look foward too you might see my face at the post office..... on the ten most wanted ;-)

i love a broken in resistol. if you get the beaver up there to 5x's you about need 2 jobs to buy it.
yea the guys at the elavator spend a good $100 bucks a week on beer. so i guess i'll cast my vote as... "none of above" i'm simple getting therpy for stress.

can yall help me find my cousins title. he thought he was a farmer, but after reading a few threads this morning he aint so sure now. maybe you can find it for him.
kip ownes 2 trucks{peterbuilts" and 1 hopper bottom and 1 dump bucket. 200 acres of land with he grows wheat and soybeans on 100 acres and has cattle on the other 100. land and combine and trucks are paid for. he rents the 1000 acres right beside him and he grows corn on it.
this is how his operation works. before wheat comes in he hauls grain from elavator to feedmill pretty much running a trucking busness. he cuts his wheat alittle early and takes a small dockage on the moisture so that he can hire out his combine and trucks to haul other farmers wheat. in between wheat and corn season he carries cattle to the sale. of corse every evening he works with the cattle. and works on his grain fields. again he'll cut corn alittle early, by the time he is done corn is in mid harvest and he gets to hire out his equiment again. he'll hire out untell his beans are ready then he goes and cuts his beans. after his beans are in, he carries cattle to the sale if he has any then if any beans left.............. this sounds alot for one man he use to have hired help but now he just works his 3 sons a pair of 19 yr old twin and a 18 yr old.

New hat....and a tax break...wow.
I'll plant the idea for a father's day surprize, course these days I need to special order the size eight...haircut would probably help.
Being semi-retired, I perfer to be reffered to as a full time, part time, small business entrepreneur.
Dave Mc

I have a well broke in Stetson but I hardly ever wear it any more. Around here every idiot who owns a horse (and there are thousands of them) wears a cowboy hat 24/7 like they are John Wayne or something and they wouldn't know one end of a cow from the other. I prefer not to be associated with them so I just wear my ball cap most of the time.

People like Kenny Chesney (SP?) have taken the hat thing to extremes. What's under there, anyway? Do you think he bathes with it on? And why does it sit on his ears like that? Looks like he could afford to get one that fits his pointy little head better. :D

Lammie":nrioa1vd said:
People like Kenny Chesney (SP?) have taken the hat thing to extremes. What's under there, anyway? :D

Nothing is under there (bald). I'm thinking that's the reason for the hat. ;-)

I've forgotten, what was this thread about???? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts