Just mow & fertilize or till.....

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
A property I have under contract has some rough pastures... Basically hogs and lack of care have left large areas very rough and bumpy. Since I don't plan on turning any cows on it till early next spring should I just mow it and fertilize it or should I till the whole thing flat. I don't want to destroy and farm equipment running over this thing in the future. Its @ 60 acres of costal, flood plane pasture for cattle use only. Thanks in advance.

since you say you have hogg wallers an rough ground.id try lightly disking the bad spots.leveling an smoothing them.an planting whatever grass you want on them.this might save you from having to breakup 60acs.your right rough pastures will tear up tractors an equipment.

We totally disk our coastal patches under every three years. So unless you disked last year you are ok. Some times it is pointless to disk old hog rooting up because hogs like that more than pasture land. :(

Maybe just drag a harrow, a pipe, ect... to knock the highs down just so it is a little more tollerable then see if you need to go in with more.

As for shredding, I am assuming you are wanting to do that to get rid of the old, excess grass. That is where burning can come in handy, but if that is not an option than you just have to shred it.

good avice guys, thanks

I would love to burn it, maybe after the heavy rains from the last 2 days they'll lift the ban...ha

The property has been abandoned for 15+ years, so weeds are really bad. However, the base costal looks good. Waiting on the soil samples, should be back this week. Both properties on each side are so nice and flat, well maintained, green etc.... Both neighnors stopped and commented, hopefully the next owners will start taking care of this place...

Wait until there is no chance of frost run a motor grader over it. Carry just enough dirt to fill the holes and low spots.

Whatever you decide, be patient. It will take time. You can undo years of neglect and/or abuse in a single season. Develop a plan on what you want to do to get the pasture right and break it into logical parts. I see too many folks that seed clover then turn around later in the year and spray for broadleaf weeds. As tight as money is, figure it all out in advance so you arent working at counter purposes

Well, just got the results of the soil tests:
Recommending:
90-95 lbs of N (Nitrate) per acre
50-60 lbs of P2O5 (Phosphorus) per acre.

These are averages of 5 samplings. So do I price this individually or is there a "blend" fertilizer to look for that will have these needs.
Only additional recommendation was on 2 samples says to add 70 lbs Nitrogen for each subseguent heavy graze down???? huh?

i would see if i could get what you need in a blended fertalizer.would be cheaper an easier on you .

Take your test results to your fertilizer dealer. He will be able to sell you what you need and at what rate to apply.
Probablly something like 30-15-0 @ 200#.

70 # N after heavy grazedown is just that. Topdress with Urea, Amonium Nitrate, or Amonuim Sulfate about late May, before the rains stop and the heat builds and again around mid September when the showers start to promote growth going into the fall.

Your dealer will be able make a better suggestion for your area. Mine is just a guess but should be pretty close.

If you need more information in understanding the test results and the meaning of N-P-K; Googling, N-P-K will provide a lot of information.

leboeuf":17sfj0jw said:
Only additional recommendation was on 2 samples says to add 70 lbs Nitrogen for each subseguent heavy graze down???? huh?

From what I've seen there is alwasy a recommendation to top dress the bermuda types of grasses. The after graze down doesn;t compute in my head because the fertilizer, with a little loss should be going right back onto the pasture. Haying I could see it, but not grazing. But I don;t know diddly about those types of grasses, or the soil types.

Fertilizing after May is a gamble whether you will get the rains to utilize the fertilizer. September is ok if you are trying to stockpile forage for winter grazing. Just my opinion.

Latest posts