Junk cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
For couple years I've been wanting to buy a few extra brokemouth cows to run spring to fall. Since the market has come back down I started looking for a few. My son called me Monday and said he had found a few cows the guy was selling cheap. I went a looked at them Tuesday and bought them. Guy had 8 head on 2 acres , they were skinny and hungry so I figured I could make a few dollars on them. Brought them home and started feeding them . today I ran them all thru the chute cut, wormed and vaccinated them. There was 1 steer 3 bulls avg 600# , that ugly bull I posted the other night. 2 really poor cows heavy Holstein influence. But to my surprise full set of teeth. The calves looked 100% better after 4 days not as hollow looking. The cows belly's are full it will take some time on them. But they got kicked out to some pasture and I still giving them 100# of feed a day and hay. I gave 425.00 a piece for them. I should do ok if I don't loose any. Grass feed mineral salt I'm sure is a shock to their system.

Man, that one second from the end on the right looks rough, the rest not nearly as bad. If I was offered that same deal tomorrow I would probably take it. Grass is coming on. Good luck I bet you'll make out on that deal.

ohiosteve":1jqdtudy said:
Man, that one second from the end on the right looks rough, the rest not nearly as bad. If I was offered that same deal tomorrow I would probably take it. Grass is coming on. Good luck I bet you'll make out on that deal.
She had that red calf on her too. If she lives she can only improve, lol.

Knew an old man, made a livin on just 90 acres trading around on stuff like that.

Edited to add:
I don't think I would grain them right away.

It's just a pnut byproduct pellet 10% pro 5% fat 55% fiber. I've used it a couple yrs and it really help maintain condition. They are semi firm and never had it cause squirts. After a couple weeks of this I'll start adding a little more protein till grass is in full swing.

M-5":1lm20mdv said:
ohiosteve":1lm20mdv said:
She had that red calf on her too. If she lives she can only improve, lol.
Call me crazy but by the way she's holding her head up I bet she will prosper. I'm guessing she is a heck of a momma. I'm with Bigfoot though I would have them on really good hay and no grain. I'm lucky though to have good hay, if not I would supplement.

M-5":14xrpif3 said:
Best hay here is 10%

Both cows are dog gentle. I'm thinking of trying to make nurse cows out of them to either sell or buy calves for them to raise
I would just keep them as nurse cows if I were you.

I was wondering about the increased risk of bringing disease into your premise. At this time of year with new calves coming I am always fearful of a virus or disease getting started. Once something like that occurs it could wipe out all your profits in a hurry.

He said he worked em. I'm sure he's not got em in with his herd .
I don't see anything thing wrong with hauling em. Don't see anything wrong with putting a shine on em either. No matter how you slice it, it ought to be a money maker. :nod:

Latest posts