Joplin MO School Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
It was touched on a little in the Gun thread. But once again within 25 miles of my house we have a school shooting incident.

A few months ago it was Riverton KS around 10 miles from my house were kids were plotting a columbine style shooting on Myspace.com.

Now it was Joplin MO, around 25 miles from me.

Riverton incident pretty well got dismissed and was blown out of proportion. But the Joplin one today was a serious matter. Who knows what might have happened if the principal had not confronted the shooter or his gun had not jammed.

The principal stayed with the kid instead of running for cover and talked him and herded him out of the building. True hero, that looked after kids safety before his own.

Guess I better start home schooling the kids if it gets much worse around here. :(

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/fee ... 77504.html

This recently happened? I don't watch the news much. I'm telling you, it is scary. I understand that a lot of this behavior is linked to the kids being bullied. I don't know what to do about that except that we at the schools need to take a more proactive approach to bullying when we see it. But you don't always see it.

Lammie":3txoiapz said:
This recently happened? I don't watch the news much. I'm telling you, it is scary. I understand that a lot of this behavior is linked to the kids being bullied. I don't know what to do about that except that we at the schools need to take a more proactive approach to bullying when we see it. But you don't always see it.

Last year my daughter sent 4 kids to the office for bullying a special needs student. One of the 4 kids mother was so irate that she first tried to get the principal to not give the child in school suspension, then she tried to get the principal not to put the disciplinary action in her kid's file...and when that didn't work, she went to my daughter and tried to get her to change the story. When my daughter refused, she told my daughter that her child was such a sensitive boy and that my daughter had most likely emotionally scarred that boy for life. When she finally realized that my daughter would absolutely not budge, and after my daughter asked her, "How do you think this little special needs boy's parents would feel if nothing was done...what if it was your son," the woman admitted how embarrassing it was going to be to her. Btw, she's Mrs. I'm the greatest mother on the earth, church leader, etc...and, come to find out, a bully to past teachers and principals when it came to her "perfect" children being disciplined.

Made me sick.

Alice

Lammie":1zs9s4au said:

Yea it happened yesterday, Monday morning I think about 10 minutes before school started.

I agree some of probably has to do with bullying or making fun of kids. One reason I tell my kids to just leave them kids that seem different along, not to tease them, call them names or be part of a group that does. Never know when that kid might have had enough and show up with a gun or do something stupid.

As Parents I think we need to stop letting our kids become fascinated with violent video games and Movies. I have a nephew that is so obsessed with video games of gore and movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It desensitizes the kids to violence and in some cases stimulates them so much they fantasize about doing these things in real life.

I think this whole problem has started since they removed corporal punishment out of the schools. When i was in school so many years ago you just didn't go around bullying ppl cause if you did it was a one way ticket to the principles office to meet the punisher and if you met it once you sure didn't want to see it again. One more reason is due to the timeout kids growing up kids today have no idea of what is right and wrong if they do something they have to set in timeout what a joke i wish we had had timeouts while i was growing up ;-) i know my butt sure wishes we had. I don't mean beating a kid but a good spankin sure gets a point across that what you did was wrong and it had better not happen again.

JMHO
mike

I was somewhat bullied myself growing up by other girls and it made me feel like crud. I never understood how someone who didn't even know me could dislike me. I have always told my boys that they don't have to like everyone, but that they should be friendly to everyone and have friends from all different kinds of groups if they can. I think it is far better to be friendly to everyone and be able to move easily between different cliques than it is to just be friends with people like yourself. My older son is an unapologetic geek, but he always got along with jocks, different races, preps, skates, voc-ed students... I have seen him walk down the halls and get hellos from all kinds of kids. I was always proud of him for that. I think it really gets you farther down the road when you grow up when you can get along with everyone. After all, school will be over one day and you will have to live in the same community with everyone, not just the crowd you hung out with.

Had a 16 year old hang himself last week...Kids I work with said the note he left blamed girls for not likeing him....I know its tough being 16,but you get over it

A little information on the Joplin MO shooting from the local news. The boy was 13, he got the rifle from his fathers gun collection that was locked in a safe but obviously the son new the combination.

I guess after he fired a bullet in the ceiling he told the principal that was trying to reason with him and get him out of the building he then pointed it at the principal and pulled the trigger. But the gun was jammed from the previous shot.

Talk about making your life flash in front of you to see someone pull the trigger aiming to kill you.

peg4x4":2itpbbys said:
Had a 16 year old hang himself last week...Kids I work with said the note he left blamed girls for not likeing him....I know its tough being 16,but you get over it

Thats just it, some kids don't get over the teasing, it has the reserve effect, it scars them, where they get suicidal, or they want revenge.

GMN

I wont go into the gun thing again I made my point on the other thread....but bullying is a big issue with a child, and can and does cause lasting hurt and self worthlessness, we who have grown up and found our place in life know you can get over it in time, but when you are young it is a whole different ball game, and a lot of kids are afraid to even tell their parents or friends because of the reprocutions it can have, I feel we need more group disgussions in class about the way we think of people of different backgrounds to ourselves, and listen to what is being said, and how it affects people, and maybe the bullies might just see that we are all the same underneath. A bully is a coward and needs to be confronted on their own, but that is easier said than done in a lot of cases. sorry to ramble but teachers it would seem over there and here, have their hands tied because of all this politicaly correct thing in not being able to give corpral punishment.

IMO only it has a lot to do with morals and how as parents or grandparents we failed in our job to this current generation of children. Took guns to school all the time they were in the truck we got to borrow cause we were going hunting after school. Thought never entered into anyone's mind about getting one and shooting someone.
Lord help us if we got in trouble at school there was going to be hell to tell the Captain. In my home growing up I can still remember my fathers words I can't make you learn but I can make be quite and still at school.
If you were seen by someone's Mom cutting up and it got back to the house get ready for hide to be peeled.

We have failed in teaching Christan values and taught the liberal garbage that has taken us where we are today.

Caustic Burno":3s2a8ov2 said:
Took guns to school all the time they were in the truck we got to borrow cause we were going hunting after school. Thought never entered into anyone's mind about getting one and shooting someone.

I use to take my gun all the time to school on the School bus. Carried a 20 gauge single shot on the bus, took it to class and teacher put it in the corner for me. This was in say 1974-1977 when I was in 4th grade through 7th grade.

The reason was I would go to 4-H competitions were we gave Talks and Demonstrations, I always gave a demonstration on how to break down a shot gun and clean it. We had local competitions and then other days we would go to district competitions on school time.

Many young boys would give these same types of talks, bringing our guns on the school bus in their gun cases.

Amen!! Same here. I always had rifles and shotguns in the rack, in my truck, in the school parking lot, while I was in class. knowone never thought about shooting people with them, they was for hunting. I'd be under the jail this day and time.

Caustic Burno":2l11jalm said:
IMO only it has a lot to do with morals and how as parents or grandparents we failed in our job to this current generation of children. Took guns to school all the time they were in the truck we got to borrow cause we were going hunting after school. Thought never entered into anyone's mind about getting one and shooting someone.
Lord help us if we got in trouble at school there was going to be be nice to tell the Captain. In my home growing up I can still remember my fathers words I can't make you learn but I can make be quite and still at school.
If you were seen by someone's Mom cutting up and it got back to the house get ready for hide to be peeled.

We have failed in teaching Christan values and taught the liberal garbage that has taken us where we are today.

Must be a common thing back then. I got my own truck from nickels I earned trapping varmits, hauling hay, working odd jobs. There was always a gun in it every day I went to school. That was just the way it was.

So we all had that in common? Did any of ya'll get all your chores done early Saturday a.m. and then head down to the local breakfast cafe to hire out for the day? All the kids in town used to do that where I grew up. We'd paint fences, pull weeds out of flower beds, hoe gardens, and if you were lucky, you'd get to go to a ranch and do manly labor. If they thought you were a "good hand" you were picked early.

History pretty well proves that gun control is not the reason for this rising problem. Kids probably had more access to guns as you guys mentioned in the past. No one locked them up, no one had to register to own one, it was common to see one hanging in the back window of a truck.

Now we have control, we have them locked up and we are limited on how we can buy them, who can have them and now we have school shootings as a regular thing.

Obviously their is another problem here besides gun control. And I think Caustic pretty well showed what that is.

All comes back on Parents in the end.

aplusmnt":2q31vmp6 said:
History pretty well proves that gun control is not the reason for this rising problem. Kids probably had more access to guns as you guys mentioned in the past. No one locked them up, no one had to register to own one, it was common to see one hanging in the back window of a truck.

Now we have control, we have them locked up and we are limited on how we can buy them, who can have them and now we have school shootings as a regular thing.

Obviously their is another problem here besides gun control. And I think Caustic pretty well showed what that is.

All comes back on Parents in the end.

And, it's obvious parents have dropped the ball.

It's nice to take these trips down memory lane...but right now it is what it is, children are bringing weapons to school and using them against other childen and faculty...so what would be your suggestion to correct this problem? What is your suggestion to controlling children bringing weapons to school?

My daughter teaches school...my grandson is in the 7th grade...2 granddaughters are in elementary school...3 more grandchildren will be attending public school...and I'm scared to death for all of them. I don't give a diddly about what things were like in the past...I care about what is going on right now...and how to stop this before anyone else is killed.

So tell me...what is your "right now" solution?

Alice

Alice":huvm7610 said:

Alice

There is no instant solution. IMHO the very best thing each and everyone of us can do is vote. When you cast your vote however you choose, think about what it means to future generations.

If you see one politician that doesn't take accountability, don't vote for him/her. This BS of, "he robbed the store last week because he was bullied in the third grade back in 1957" has got to stop.

Where you are in life is where you put yourself, period. My parents had me for 18 years. I could blame anything on them if I so chose, but I have now had 29 years on my own.

Drug addicts, sex offenders, and every crook on the planet blame their problems and addictions on something. Most of us have endured worse experiences than they ever thought about. As such, that liberal bleeding heart BS doesn't hold water.

My sympathy list is pretty much limited to three items.

I sympathize with children who are defenseless. I sympathize with victims. I sympathize with those who were drafted and suffer Post Tramatics, from situations they had no control over.

backhoeboogie":2htx2sl7 said:
Alice":2htx2sl7 said:

Alice

There is no instant solution. IMHO the very best thing each and everyone of us can do is vote. When you cast your vote however you choose, think about what it means to future generations.

If you see one politician that doesn't take accountability, don't vote for him/her. This BS of, "he robbed the store last week because he was bullied in the third grade back in 1957" has got to stop.

Where you are in life is where you put yourself, period. My parents had me for 18 years. I could blame anything on them if I so chose, but I have now had 29 years on my own.

Drug addicts, sex offenders, and every crook on the planet blame their problems and addictions on something. Most of us have endured worse experiences than they ever thought about. As such, that liberal bleeding heart BS doesn't hold water.

My sympathy list is pretty much limited to three items.

I sympathize with children who are defenseless. I sympathize with victims. I sympathize with those who were drafted and suffer Post Tramatics, from situations they had no control over.

You may be surprised, but I agree with you about all of this...and as you know, I could easily be called, and have been called, a liberal bleeding heart (one that spreads cancer, even!). It's just that, believe it or not, us liberals, at least liberals like me, have points past which we will not go...we do think that the "I was abused as a child...you can't hold me accountable" crap is just that...crap. Same goes with "You can't hold me accountable...I was on drugs." That one makes my blood boil.

However, post traumatic stress syndrome does come in many forms...it's not limited to the military...so I'm a bit more liberal where that diagnosis comes into play. But, stuff like that is best left to the experts.

Anyway, thank you for your response. It is welcome.

Alice

Alice":30aq63ri said:
now...and how to stop this before anyone else is killed.

Alice

I've talked with teachers and administrators and from what I am told, I think this "no child left behind" business is hogwash. In our school system, we are putting troubled kids in the mainstream classes. When I was in school, these students went to special ed so they would not interfere with the other children. Some of these kids are going to be trouble and are dangerous at a very young age - but they can't be left behind. Heck, that is life. That is nature. Pull them out and put them somewhere else. Most of it is the parents fault anyway and it is not the school's job to correct this - they can't.

Until this is done, I think the principals or administration should have stored weapons on campus and training in the safety and use of them. This could be tazers or mace or even a gun. If someone came into the school starting trouble - drop him in his tracks and save all of us some trouble.

Jogeephus":2cltvaak said:
Alice":2cltvaak said:
now...and how to stop this before anyone else is killed.

Alice

I've talked with teachers and administrators and from what I am told, I think this "no child left behind" business is hogwash.

I think you're absolutely right! I'm not sure I agree with the tazers, mace, or gun, though. While I see where you're coming from, I think that those weapons could place someone who has not had the necessary training and is probably not prepared to deal with the aftermath, in a very difficult position of having to make a decision that would likely have lifelong repercussions for that individual. School administrators are not policemen, have not had the training in these types of situations, and should not be put in that position - IMHO.