Calving School

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Do any of you attend classes &/or seminars provided by your local Extension? K-State Extension & Research is having a Calving School in January at our local sale barn and it also covers vaccine storage & handling. One of the Assistant Professors/DVM's is teaching the class.

I go to practically every class they offer, even if it's a repeat, because I always learn something new. It's a whopping $10, plus chili and a cinnamon roll prior to the class. Topics range from nutrition, forage, health, learning how to judge BCS, pasture management, BQA classes, vaccines, etc. If you've never been to one, I highly recommend it!

I have been to a few of those type programs over the years. Here they have had some over Zoom lately. As far as calving school goes, we've had a few unsolicited refresher courses the last month or so. One was one of the hardest pulls I've ever dealt with. A Santa Gertrudis heifer didn't dilate and had at least a 90 lb calf. Both survived which is nothing short of a miracle.

I go to every one offered. Even been doing one a month online by Zoom during the Covid. This month was prediction of protein by the stool
I've figure if they are going and I'm getting splattered from 5 meters away they have too much. And if they go and it rolls down the side of a hill they don't have enough!

But seriously these are the sorts of things i love learning about. I did a thing once where i gave them a strain of yeast that is meant to promote digestion. Then over six weeks you collect samples of manure and wash it and the grass particles are meant to get smaller and smaller. Well i never did notice any difference. My wife was happy when that trial finished.

I worked pretty closely with extension for 20+ years. They never put on workshops and there was certainly no local agents that I would have taken the time to listen to. There was two state wide extension guy who were great resources. One was a nutritionist and the other a grass management expert. At times I got to work closely with both of them and would go to any presentation they were putting on. I believe both are retired now. But as far as an actual beef cattle person, well that was always a disappointment. Since moving here I found the locals to be worthless. I have asked a question got a little lip service, we will get back to you. Never hear from them again. I made several attempt and finally just gave up on them.

I worked pretty closely with extension for 20+ years. They never put on workshops and there was certainly no local agents that I would have taken the time to listen to. There was two state wide extension guy who were great resources. One was a nutritionist and the other a grass management expert. At times I got to work closely with both of them and would go to any presentation they were putting on. I believe both are retired now. But as far as an actual beef cattle person, well that was always a disappointment. Since moving here I found the locals to be worthless. I have asked a question got a little lip service, we will get back to you. Never hear from them again. I made several attempt and finally just gave up on them.
I find the grass and the soil experts here are also much better than the actual cattle (experts).

Latest posts