jonsered chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I have always heard good things about them. And tractor supply will have them in stores 29th. They gave all employees a 35% discount off of one. The one I'm going to get is the 24" bar price is 699 and I can get for 450. I don't do a lot of cutting but when I do I want a big saw. I wish you could still get a bow saw.

I prefer stihls. I just had 2 old ones serviced and they run like new. Not bad for 20 year old saws

M5farm":1qrtaxpz said:
I have always heard good things about them. And tractor supply will have them in stores 29th. They gave all employees a 35% discount off of one. The one I'm going to get is the 24" bar price is 699 and I can get for 450. I don't do a lot of cutting but when I do I want a big saw. I wish you could still get a bow saw.

M5 I got a ton of old bow saws help yourself lol M5 you have gave me a ton of good advice buddy and I want to give you some. I own a tree service business and have owned just about every saw brand made and Stihl has kept my family fed for the last 10 years and they get used daily 8 hrs a day. The only problems I had with my stihls were employee stupidity letting them run out of gas scoring the cylinder wall and that will happen with any saw. I would pay 1500 for each still before i paid 500 for any other saw. I also gave tennesseetuxedo advise on stihls and he couldnt be happier pm me if you have any other questions.

Nothing wrong with a Jonsered. Most lumberjacks in Canada use a Husqvarna, which is identical to the Jonsered. Stihls are usually reserved for limbing and small jobs. Any saw works when you only cutting a few trees a week with it. Cut a few thousand cords each year and Husky's rise to the top.

Have the emission lockouts taken out after you buy it. Carb performance will be much better.

The hardest thing on a saw is poor gas with a lot of water in it. We mix up gas in small amounts so that it gets replaced often.

skyhightree1":2r28iw6q said:
M5farm":2r28iw6q said:

M5 I got a ton of old bow saws help yourself lol M5 you have gave me a ton of good advice buddy and I want to give you some. I own a tree service business and have owned just about every saw brand made and Stihl has kept my family fed for the last 10 years and they get used daily 8 hrs a day. The only problems I had with my stihls were employee stupidity letting them run out of gas scoring the cylinder wall and that will happen with any saw. I would pay 1500 for each still before i paid 500 for any other saw. I also gave tennesseetuxedo advise on stihls and he couldnt be happier pm me if you have any other questions.

My friend speaks the truth. I absolutely love my new Stihl Farm Boss. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Skyhigh.

Aaron":30qhhvne said:
Nothing wrong with a Jonsered. Most lumberjacks in Canada use a Husqvarna, which is identical to the Jonsered. Stihls are usually reserved for limbing and small jobs. Any saw works when you only cutting a few trees a week with it. Cut a few thousand cords each year and Husky's rise to the top.

Have the emission lockouts taken out after you buy it. Carb performance will be much better.

The hardest thing on a saw is poor gas with a lot of water in it. We mix up gas in small amounts so that it gets replaced often.

Aaron,
I gotta disagree with you on that. A stihl performs better out the box than a Husq that has had the emission lockouts taken out. If I buy a tool I want it to perform the best it can right off the shelf which is why I use Stihl. I think its crazy to spend your money on a saw then have to remove something to get it to perform. I know there is alot of people that use Husq but there are more that use Stihl. The only thing Husq has going for them is the chains IMO stay sharper than Stihls do so I am not strictly all about Stihl.

TennesseeTuxedo":13sqahjv said:
skyhightree1":13sqahjv said:
M5farm":13sqahjv said:

My friend speaks the truth. I absolutely love my new Stihl Farm Boss. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Skyhigh.

You are very welcome buddy...

I wouldn't own anything but a Stihl. I have one that is about 30 years old and it still starts on the second pull and cuts Oak like it was butter. The new one works equally well.

skyhightree1":2e8su65p said:
M5farm":2e8su65p said:

thats the problem. all of the BOWS are old. we've got a couple that are just plain worn out.

Farm Boss 20" here, bought new in 2007. I have absed the living crap out of it, cutting telephone poles, crossties and cleaning off fencelines and fallen red oaks. Cleaned up after Hurricane Ike with it, had trees of every size and description down. It has (knock on wood) never failed me no matter how long I leave it sitting.
I use only Stihl 2 cycle oil. Other than cleaning and changing the air filter, and keeping the clutch and drive area cleaned out, replacing the bar once, I have had to do nothing to this saw. Same spark plug that came in it.
The chain that will come on a new Farm Boss will have the anti-kickback teeth on it. If you are an experienced sawyer, buy the chain with a more aggressive cut (I forget the #) The difference is cutting speed is night and day. It's a good all around farm and ranch saw. Too small to make a living with, but good for everyday use around the place.

I also have a Stihl 360 weedeater/brushcutter that I use only with a chisel tooth sawblade installed. A thing of destruction under a barbwire fence and along waterways where I cannot spray. Don't waste your time trying to use that 3 tooth brushknife or grassblade on saplings----kickback city.

Aaron":3te4g3bm said:

Aaron I agree.

Funny how someone asks about a new XXXX and is it any good and sudenly there are a whole bunch of folks that (tractors as an example) are colour blind. If it is not green it is schitte! If it is not red it will never be on my ground! If it is not blue then you are taking a chance. And so on.

I left the military in 1997 and stayed out for a few years before re-upping to get back in the game. For one full year I worked for a company called Focus Surveys. My job was working in the mountains - cutting seismic lines.

I used three chainsaws - and old Husky 6200 with a 99 cc motor and a 4 foot bar, a Husky 257 (I think) with a smaller motor and a 32 inch bar and a Jonsered that was given to me brand new - do not remember the model number but it was a little one - the bar was about 28 inches long.

I have heard a lot of people talk about the saw of choice. I used all of mine - rain, sleet, snow, minus 40 plus and in hot weather. Sometimes standing on muskeg, sometimes standing in creeks and sometimes up to my butt (literally) in snow for hours on end. None of them let me down. And I worked daily in the bush - cutting anything from giants to willows and following a laser. I lived outside of Fairview and spent up to 75 days at a time in the bush, living in camps.

I also used the company saws once in a while. They were usually crap when I got them. But I worked on them and tuned them and they all worked fine once I got them going. They were Huskys, Poulans, Stihls and even a couple of funny blue coloured ones - do not remember their name. Old and beat up with no chain brakes on them. But I got them working well.

Generally speaking it is the operator that is the problem.

Buy a saw and look after it I will give the nod to any Husky, any Jonsered, any Stihl and even Poulan.

Far as I am concerned it is personal preferential choice and anyone who is ready to run one down has never spent days on end bent over a saw.

So - pick your poison and look after it. Mix the fuel right and lube the saw on a regular basis. Keep the chain tight and sharp. They pretty much all work well.

And wear the chainsaw pants - saved my leg one day - I never knew how fast it could happen, and I learned real quick that the pants work like a charm!

These companies did not get to be as big as they are today by selling saws that do not work or do not cut - most folks seem to forget that.

Best to all

Bez

skyhightree1"The only thing Husq has going for them is the chains IMO stay sharper than Stihls do so I am not strictly all about Stihl.[/quote said:
Chain performance has nothing to do with the saw driving it.

It is what you are cutting and where you are sticking the bar.

I probably have 15 or so chains hanging in the shop right now from all makers - jobbers included.

Hit one rock or nail and it needs to be sharpened no matter the label on the chain.

My best

Bez

Latest posts