Chainsaw Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

I was a firefighter for 35 years and own a tree farm in east Texas, I swear by Stihl. Whether on the ground or on a roof, they have never failed me.

Guess I got a lemon, my Stihl has been nothing but a pain in my azz for the last 6-7 years. I tried everything me or anyone else could think if to fix it. Nothing worked. Its still somewhat usable so I'll keep it for a fence clearing saw. But for everything else I bought an Echo. Too soon to say much about it, but the 590 sure gives a lot of power for the money.

How old is your dad?...if he's in his 60's to 70's might want to opt of a lighter chainsaw...16" or 18" 42cc Poulan Pro. At one time I had a collection of chainsaws varies types...18 of them...now I'm down to three, i just keep rebuilding them, parts on e-bay are dirt cheap. Big fan of the budget 42cc craftsman and poulan pro i can cut 30" diameter tree with 18" bar if i need too. No, they're not commercial....but I treat them like they are...and they outlived and gave me less problems then the name brand ones. I've cut down a lot of trees and processed them into firewood in my life.
As i encroach 60 years of age...i'm really liking a lighter machine, fast cuts, no kickback, safe for overhead work when i need too.

Guess I got a lemon, my Stihl has been nothing but a pain in my azz for the last 6-7 years. I tried everything me or anyone else could think if to fix it. Nothing worked. Its still somewhat usable so I'll keep it for a fence clearing saw. But for everything else I bought an Echo. Too soon to say much about it, but the 590 sure gives a lot of power for the money.
Echo chainsaws are a lot like Poulan Pro...those are my second favorite.

Dad decided he wanted a new saw, he's been milking along a 55 Husky for 30 years. Finally ate a main bearing last week.

We stopped by the biggest dealer in our area that carries Stihl and Echo. Not a single pro model Stihl on the shelf, and only a couple Echos. I'm sure the Echos are a nice saw, but you could tell the fit and finish wasn't nearly as nice, and they were pretty clunky in comparison. The 590 is a bargain though for what you pay. That little CS2511T is a very cool saw, but wow, expensive for what it is. That's what I'd want hanging from my belt if I was a tree climber though. The thing is tiny.

Ended up swinging by a local Amish dealer that sells Husqvarna. They had a 555 that they were pretty motivated to sell, gave him a pretty good deal. Neither of us were crazy about the Autotune business with what I went through on my 545, but it's pretty much unavoidable if you want a pro saw.

They had a 572xp on the shelf, looked like a mean dude. Anybody run one? I'd like to see the 592xp when they come out with it.
What will you be using the saw for, and what size bar do you want to run?

Stay away from Poulan. Biggest POS I have ever ran. Small echo is a good arborist saw.

I was a firefighter for 35 years and own a tree farm in east Texas, I swear by Stihl. Whether on the ground or on a roof, they have never failed me.
A tree farm...in East Texas...
Isn't that a bit redundant?
Like carrying coal to Newcastle?

A man can work from sun to sun but when killing trees you're never done.

Husky and poulan ,McCullough,johnsered are actually the same company and have a lot of interchangeable parts

Last edited:
I'm running a 576xp right now with a 20" bar. I also have a 24" bar for it from when I used to log timber. I would never own another commercial size stihl after the issues I had with the MS660 I bought in 08. It was junk burned the piston up 3 times they rebuilt it on warranty the third time it went on ebay and I'll never own another one. I've had many Husqvarna saws and all of the have been pretty reliable 346xp, 357xp, 372xp. I will always buy orange saws until I find a reason not to.
There must have been an air leak, lean carb, low compression or bad gas in that 660 as they are usually pretty reliable. Burning up a piston 3 times something wrong.

Last edited:
There must have been an air leak, lean carb, low compression or bad gas in that 660 cause what you have mentioned with a bar longer than 28" the 660, although heavy, would have a pretty good advantage with the torque and extra cc's.
They did fuel tests on it each time it the engine burned up. I got so mad I threw the saw off a bank into a deep hole of water the last time it locked up. I was just gonna leave it in that creek, Dad fished it out of there. I'm not sure what it's issue was but it wasn't gas when it was running it was a powerful saw it would just shut off and the pull rope would lock up with it. I always ran 93 gas and mixed it 50-1, 5 gallons at a time with the high dollar Stihl 2 stroke mix. I even would always shut the pump off at like 4.95 gallons to be sure I was a Lil rich. The stihl mechanic changed the the air filter out with a different style the last time claiming that would fix it for good I wasn't gonna chance it. The 372xp was just as powerful IMO once you went through the break in period and retuned the saw per Husqvarna specs. I haven't fell timber in a few years this 576xp is the only one I got left I burn about 4 cords a year of firewood so that's its main job. I can say dad hasn't owned a Stihl since his 066 and 044 either he loved them both but when they went down they were replaced with orange as well. He did try Dolmar for a few years and had okay luck with the Dolmar saws.

They did fuel tests on it each time it the engine burned up. I got so mad I threw the saw off a bank into a deep hole of water the last time it locked up. I was just gonna leave it in that creek, Dad fished it out of there. I'm not sure what it's issue was but it wasn't gas when it was running it was a powerful saw it would just shut off and the pull rope would lock up with it. I always ran 93 gas and mixed it 50-1, 5 gallons at a time with the high dollar Stihl 2 stroke mix. I even would always shut the pump off at like 4.95 gallons to be sure I was a Lil rich. The stihl mechanic changed the the air filter out with a different style the last time claiming that would fix it for good I wasn't gonna chance it. The 372xp was just as powerful IMO once you went through the break in period and retuned the saw per Husqvarna specs. I haven't fell timber in a few years this 576xp is the only one I got left I burn about 4 cords a year of firewood so that's its main job. I can say dad hasn't owned a Stihl since his 066 and 044 either he loved them both but when they went down they were replaced with orange as well. He did try Dolmar for a few years and had okay luck with the Dolmar saws.
Hate to hear your bad experience. The saw should have been pressure/vacuum tested if it wasn't. Several places for an air leak. Those 372xps are great saws as I had an early one without the xtorq and talk about running smooth it did. I have never own a 576xp.

I absolutely prefer Stihl saws. But the truth is they all beat a crosscut. One time a buddy and I decided to fall a 3 1/2 foot Douglas fir the same way the old timers did. Chopped the undercut and did the back cut with a sharp crosscut saw. One time was enough for me. Them old timers were some tough old birds.

Latest posts