Chainsaw Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

Atimm693

Reaction score
Dad decided he wanted a new saw, he's been milking along a 55 Husky for 30 years. Finally ate a main bearing last week.

We stopped by the biggest dealer in our area that carries Stihl and Echo. Not a single pro model Stihl on the shelf, and only a couple Echos. I'm sure the Echos are a nice saw, but you could tell the fit and finish wasn't nearly as nice, and they were pretty clunky in comparison. The 590 is a bargain though for what you pay. That little CS2511T is a very cool saw, but wow, expensive for what it is. That's what I'd want hanging from my belt if I was a tree climber though. The thing is tiny.

Ended up swinging by a local Amish dealer that sells Husqvarna. They had a 555 that they were pretty motivated to sell, gave him a pretty good deal. Neither of us were crazy about the Autotune business with what I went through on my 545, but it's pretty much unavoidable if you want a pro saw.

They had a 572xp on the shelf, looked like a mean dude. Anybody run one? I'd like to see the 592xp when they come out with it.

I have owned 30 (?) chainsaws in my life. Two Huskies and the rest Stihls. I have run for a day or two every other brand there is on occasions. Run 2 gallons of gas through a saw everyday 5 & 6 days a week and you will find out which brand really works. If I were buying a saw and the local dealer didn't have the Stihl I wanted I would get on line and on the phone. Find the closest dealer that had the Stihl saw model I wanted. And take a drive. End of story.

I don't have any problem with Stihl, but the extra $100 and lack of availability are big turn offs.

Stihl is also very protective of their parts and diagrams. Very little OEM parts available online, gotta run to the dealer. I can order anything, anywhere for a Husky, and access any of the OE diagrams easily.

I've seen more loggers run Huskys than Stihls in this area.

First, I like Stihl. Have owned several. I bought an Echo trimmer last year and it's been great. I would seriously consider buying an Echo saw in the 50cc bracket.
I did, however, buy the Husqvarna predecessor of the 555 about twenty years ago. A 359. I was looking for a 60ccclass saw and it was 100.00 less than the 360 Stihl. The saw cut well and did a good job for us although I was never quite happy with it. We had some starting issues which I later learner were probably my fault and not the saw's. A couple other things happened which weren't it's fault but I decided to get a Stihl. Ended up with an MS 362 which has been good saw. I know more about running one now than I did then, too.
The 555, from what I read, is basically a "de-tuned" 562. The 562 having a quicker rev up and a slight increase in horsepower.
Don't be afraid of Stihl's Homeowner saws, though. I have n MS 250 I use on small cutting which is a much better saw than one would think. My son owns an MS 290 which has done a great job of cutting his firewood and, in most wood, pretty well can keep up with my 362 especially with a freshly sharpened chain. Only when you get into dead wood at bar length diameter do you see a big difference. For most occasional users, it wouldn't be that much.
I think you'll be happy with your purchase. It should be a good saw. Keep good non ethanol fuel mix , decent bar oil and a sharp chain and you should be well satisfied.
I'll also suggest you spend some of your savings on a pair of saw chaps. One ER copay will buy a number of pair. Eye and ear protection is smart, too. Get a saw dust chip in your eye and you'll be wishing you had. Been there.
Husqvarna and Stihl debates are like Ford and Chevy. A lot depends on your experiences and where you are. A good knowledgeable dealer is probably more important than brand.

I don't think they make the MS290 any more. MS271 is the farm Boss saw currently.
(I have an MS290, bought new around 2007-2008. It's been a good one, and I have abused the crap out of it)

They don't. It was replaced in it's size class with the 291 which some say isn't the saw the 290 was. Stihl sold a bunch of 290s. They were their number 1 selling saw at one time.
You're right. The 271 carries the Farm Boss label now. It's a 50cc or so saw compared to the 56.5cc of the 290. 3.5hp for it and 3.8 for the 290.

Been around a few Stihls and owned one they are a good saw. Best size, weight and power I have ever run is a 346 XP Husky. I liked it so much I bought one of the 550XP that replaced it. Less than thrilled with it. Look all the time for a good 346 to buy. Husky's can be temperamental to start in my opinion but run a lot faster than a Stihl when they get going. Echo's from what i have seen are good saws and I have one that is got to be pushing 50 yrs. old that still runs good. JLTrent has recommended them a few times on here I think and I would say he knows what he is talking about.

I have a 290 Stihl. Comes in handy for cutting corral poles and such. Trimming up some limbs. But I ran saws that will cut for too many years to play with one of the little toy saws. The 066 that I use when cutting firewood is 91 cc. I don't have to stand there and wait for it to chew through a log. In 10 minutes I cut the wood that would take an hour with the little saw.

I have a 290 Stihl. Comes in handy for cutting corral poles and such.
That's exactly what it was designed and made for. ( I cut up lots of utility poles and small diameter Chinese Tallow with mine, along with some delimbing on fallen trees.)
The right tool for the right job.

Been around a few Stihls and owned one they are a good saw. Best size, weight and power I have ever run is a 346 XP Husky. I liked it so much I bought one of the 550XP that replaced it. Less than thrilled with it. Look all the time for a good 346 to buy. Husky's can be temperamental to start in my opinion but run a lot faster than a Stihl when they get going. Echo's from what i have seen are good saws and I have one that is got to be pushing 50 yrs. old that still runs good. JLTrent has recommended them a few times on here I think and I would say he knows what he is talking about.

Those are my thoughts as well, but you might as well forget about finding a decent 346xp that's reasonably priced. Guys that have them aren't selling for the most part.

Inventories of chainsaws are low right now from what I have seen so you have to take what you can get and also dealer support is important. From the Husky 55 to the 555 is a good step.

The little Echo CS2511T you mentioned is what I keep handy, a little over 5 lbs. and it will cut. Chainsaws are kind of one of my hobbies and been for many years. That Husky 55 might be worth rebuilding. Since it is your dads I would put it in good shape. Most parts from a Husqvarna 51 will interchange and plenty of parts available.

Here is some good info on the saw.

Here is a new cylinder/piston kit and crankshaft

9061-8d686b84179ba7c9fba67350c964ae74.jpg

Last edited:
Inventories of chainsaws are low right now from what I have seen so you have to take what you can get and also dealer support is important. From the Husky 55 to the 555 is a good step.

The little Echo CS2511T you mentioned is what I keep handy, a little over 5 lbs. and it will cut. Chainsaws are kind of one of my hobbies and been for many years. That Husky 55 might be worth rebuilding. Since it is your dads I would put it in good shape. Most parts from a Husqvarna 51 will interchange and plenty of parts available.

Here is some good info on the saw.

Here is a new cylinder/piston kit and crankshaft

9061-8d686b84179ba7c9fba67350c964ae74.jpg

That old saw has been rebuilt many times already. It has earned it's keep many times over.

I haven't messed with it, not sure that it's worth doing anything with.

A good refurbish and it might out last the the new 555.
That old saw has been rebuilt many times already. It has earned it's keep many times over.

I haven't messed with it, not sure that it's worth doing anything with.
Trust me, don't get rid of it as someday you will want to put it back in good shape. Those saw models are pretty standard and fairly straight forward and inexpensive to refurbish. I would pull the cylinder and see what things looks like. It could be a crankcase bearing, big end rod cage bearing or wrist pin bearing that let go and sometimes things are better than expected and sometime even the crankcase has a lot of damage including the whole top end destroyed. If I have parts or can get them usually less than 3 hours I can put them back in good shape with a complete going through. I mostly work on Stihl as around here they are more prevalent, but those Husky are nice. Kind of like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing.

I'm running a 576xp right now with a 20" bar. I also have a 24" bar for it from when I used to log timber. I would never own another commercial size stihl after the issues I had with the MS660 I bought in 08. It was junk burned the piston up 3 times they rebuilt it on warranty the third time it went on ebay and I'll never own another one. I've had many Husqvarna saws and all of the have been pretty reliable 346xp, 357xp, 372xp. I will always buy orange saws until I find a reason not to.

A good refurbish and it might out last the the new 555.

Trust me, don't get rid of it as someday you will want to put it back in good shape. Those saw models are pretty standard and fairly straight forward and inexpensive to refurbish. I would pull the cylinder and see what things looks like. It could be a crankcase bearing, big end rod cage bearing or wrist pin bearing that let go and sometimes things are better than expected and sometime even the crankcase has a lot of damage including the whole top end destroyed. If I have parts or can get them usually less than 3 hours I can put them back in good shape with a complete going through. I mostly work on Stihl as around here they are more prevalent, but those Husky are nice. Kind of like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing.

It smoked the priginal piston in the early 2000s and sat for a few years. I put a new piston in it and it ran for a while after that. Then it ate a wrist pin clip, and I think I replaced both the piston and cylinder at that point. Those lasted a while until the carb screws loosened up in the plastic manifold and it toasted that piston too.

He didn't want to spend any more money on it then, so I freed up the ring, smoothed up the piston, and tossed it back together. It ran surprisingly well for a couple more years until now.

We won't get rid of it, he never throws anything away, but I don't think it'll see another revival for a long time. Maybe this winter when I'm looking for things to do.

I don't think they make the MS290 any more. MS271 is the farm Boss saw currently.
(I have an MS290, bought new around 2007-2008. It's been a good one, and I have abused the crap out of it)

I have the same saw, bought at the same time and have done nothing but routine maintenance to it!

Last edited:

Latest posts