Husqvarna chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I finally got to test the Husky Rancher 460 this weekend cutting some red oak trees for firewood. I have to say, that thing is a beast. Cut everything I asked of it and more. I’m definitely buying an 18” bar to complement the 24”. After 4 hours cutting, I was wore out! Gotta think it’ll be lighter and easier to handle with the 18”... At least fire firewood duty
Those saws are much heavier than the Pro designed saws. A Stihl MS261 Pro saw (50cc) would have cost about the same as the Husky 460, but at least 2 lbs lighter, The 261 does not have the cc's of the 460 (60cc), but more hp. The Stihl MS261 is 4 hp vs 3.6 hp for the Husky 460. I have owned a few of both and the MS261 is very nibble an handles well. I still like the older non-epa 026/MS260 better, my opinion.

OP
cypressfarms

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply JL. You seem to be a stihl guy, no problem with that. $600 is a lot for me to justify on a chainsaw, given the sporadic way I use them. I won’t be purchasing another, this will be my go to. Perhaps a shorter bar for the Husky to make it lighter/easier to limb.

jltrent

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply JL. You seem to be a stihl guy, no problem with that. $600 is a lot for me to justify on a chainsaw, given the sporadic way I use them. I won’t be purchasing another, this will be my go to. Perhaps a shorter bar for the Husky to make it lighter/easier to limb.
Agree $600 is a lot for a chainsaw and I compared Stihl as Husqvarna does not make a Pro design saw in that size that is not autotune. If I was buying new I would go with Echo as quality is there and price way less. I have owned several Echo s and for the money can't be beat. The Echo CS-490 is a good deal for the price and the CS-590 also just heavy. I bought this Echo last year new and probably use it more than any.

It weighs 5 pounds 25cc and the lightest chainsaw made. The only problem with this saw is it a Pro design saw to get the lite weight with a price tag around $400.

lT6Ltay.jpg

Last edited:

dvcochran

Reaction score
We have one Husqvarna and 3 Stihls. The Husky holds its own. You’ll be p

I agree with you and I also have 3 Stihls and one Husky. My biggest saw is a Husky 288. I have a 24" & 36" bar and it handles either with no problem. But even with the smaller bar it gets Heavy by the end of the day.
The best all around saw I have ever ran is my Stihl 280 woodboss. Good power and size.

We had a Husky 460 at one farm for a short time before is 'mysteriously' disappeared. I did not have it long enough to make an informed decision but I would think it is a good saw for small to medium general tree work.

jltrent

Reaction score
Here is the best 60cc class saw I have ran.

4PE2mXB.jpg

Here is the autotune newer version.. I like the 361 better. A Husqvarna 362xp, 359, 357xp are in the same class an nice also.

8tIE8aI.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Reaction score
Personally I prefer my Stihl 066 with a 32 inch bar for cutting firewood. It balances well with the 32 inch bar. And I don't have to wait for it to go through a cut. I find it more work to cut with a little saw than to carry a bigger saw that zips through a log. I spend a lot less time with the saw in my hands to get the same amount of work done.

jltrent

Reaction score
Have you ever had any experience with those Holzfforma saws? I believe they are a Chinese knockoff.

Putting together a hybrid now. This one has an aftermarket crankcase as I could not find good OEM, (the AM case seems good), AM plastic (China knows how to make plastic), as everything else will be OEM or OEM quality. I am putting a Meteor cylinder/piston kit (made in Italy) on as they are considered OEM quality. On the China kits to have a good saw IMO needs an OEM crankshaft, OEM carburetor, OEM wrist pin bearing and OEM or OEM quality top end. To complete I like an OEM wrist pin bearing and the large AV boot.. The saw will be nice.

8kVi6MC.jpg

yEPTKpx.jpg

Last edited:

jltrent

Reaction score
Personally I prefer my Stihl 066 with a 32 inch bar for cutting firewood. It balances well with the 32 inch bar. And I don't have to wait for it to go through a cut. I find it more work to cut with a little saw than to carry a bigger saw that zips through a log. I spend a lot less time with the saw in my hands to get the same amount of work done.
Could not agree more if one can handle the big saw. I can do more in 30 minutes with a 92cc saw than in 1 hour with a 50cc saw. Probably my favorite bigger saw is a MS460 class or Husqvarna 372 class as it has close to the same power as a 660 unless you go past a 28 inch bar, but weighs 3 pounds less (bigger trees like Dave has the bigger 92cc+ saws are needed). The new MS462s are selling fast as the power to weight is good. I don't need one, but that is the next one I buy.

Last edited:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Here is the best 60cc class saw I have ran.

4PE2mXB.jpg

Here is the autotune newer version.. I like the 361 better. A Husqvarna 362xp, 359, 357xp are in the same class an nice also.

8tIE8aI.jpg
I've got a 362 with the computer controlled deal. I wasn't really impressed with the saw for the first few tanks of fuel, but the more I run it, the better it runs. It's my favorite saw that I've ever owned in that size range. Borrowed a buddy's Husky 372 one time and to be honest, I didn't care for it much.

jltrent

Reaction score
The MS170 junk saws almost done in the second picture........

9jvP8BQ.jpg

pKYRj4Y.jpg

The MS660 is complete in the second picture. With the Italian Piston/cylinder combo the compression is so high about all I can do to pull the recoil. It should handle 36" bar/chain good.

8kVi6MC.jpg

Gnw0dJd.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerShell

Reaction score
Firewood looking for new home... free. Or any suggestions for what to do with it?

Latest posts