Husqvarna chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

I finally got to test the Husky Rancher 460 this weekend cutting some red oak trees for firewood. I have to say, that thing is a beast. Cut everything I asked of it and more. I'm definitely buying an 18" bar to complement the 24". After 4 hours cutting, I was wore out! Gotta think it'll be lighter and easier to handle with the 18"... At least fire firewood duty
Those saws are much heavier than the Pro designed saws. A Stihl MS261 Pro saw (50cc) would have cost about the same as the Husky 460, but at least 2 lbs lighter, The 261 does not have the cc's of the 460 (60cc), but more hp. The Stihl MS261 is 4 hp vs 3.6 hp for the Husky 460. I have owned a few of both and the MS261 is very nibble an handles well. I still like the older non-epa 026/MS260 better, my opinion.

Thanks for the reply JL. You seem to be a stihl guy, no problem with that. $600 is a lot for me to justify on a chainsaw, given the sporadic way I use them. I won't be purchasing another, this will be my go to. Perhaps a shorter bar for the Husky to make it lighter/easier to limb.

Thanks for the reply JL. You seem to be a stihl guy, no problem with that. $600 is a lot for me to justify on a chainsaw, given the sporadic way I use them. I won't be purchasing another, this will be my go to. Perhaps a shorter bar for the Husky to make it lighter/easier to limb.
Agree $600 is a lot for a chainsaw and I compared Stihl as Husqvarna does not make a Pro design saw in that size that is not autotune. If I was buying new I would go with Echo as quality is there and price way less. I have owned several Echo s and for the money can't be beat. The Echo CS-490 is a good deal for the price and the CS-590 also just heavy. I bought this Echo last year new and probably use it more than any.

It weighs 5 pounds 25cc and the lightest chainsaw made. The only problem with this saw is it a Pro design saw to get the lite weight with a price tag around $400.

lT6Ltay.jpg

Last edited:
We have one Husqvarna and 3 Stihls. The Husky holds its own. You'll be p

I agree with you and I also have 3 Stihls and one Husky. My biggest saw is a Husky 288. I have a 24" & 36" bar and it handles either with no problem. But even with the smaller bar it gets Heavy by the end of the day.
The best all around saw I have ever ran is my Stihl 280 woodboss. Good power and size.

We had a Husky 460 at one farm for a short time before is 'mysteriously' disappeared. I did not have it long enough to make an informed decision but I would think it is a good saw for small to medium general tree work.

Here is the best 60cc class saw I have ran.

4PE2mXB.jpg

Here is the autotune newer version.. I like the 361 better. A Husqvarna 362xp, 359, 357xp are in the same class an nice also.

8tIE8aI.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I prefer my Stihl 066 with a 32 inch bar for cutting firewood. It balances well with the 32 inch bar. And I don't have to wait for it to go through a cut. I find it more work to cut with a little saw than to carry a bigger saw that zips through a log. I spend a lot less time with the saw in my hands to get the same amount of work done.

Have you ever had any experience with those Holzfforma saws? I believe they are a Chinese knockoff.
[h3][/h3]
Putting together a hybrid now. This one has an aftermarket crankcase as I could not find good OEM, (the AM case seems good), AM plastic (China knows how to make plastic), as everything else will be OEM or OEM quality. I am putting a Meteor cylinder/piston kit (made in Italy) on as they are considered OEM quality. On the China kits to have a good saw IMO needs an OEM crankshaft, OEM carburetor, OEM wrist pin bearing and OEM or OEM quality top end. To complete I like an OEM wrist pin bearing and the large AV boot.. The saw will be nice.

8kVi6MC.jpg

yEPTKpx.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I prefer my Stihl 066 with a 32 inch bar for cutting firewood. It balances well with the 32 inch bar. And I don't have to wait for it to go through a cut. I find it more work to cut with a little saw than to carry a bigger saw that zips through a log. I spend a lot less time with the saw in my hands to get the same amount of work done.
Could not agree more if one can handle the big saw. I can do more in 30 minutes with a 92cc saw than in 1 hour with a 50cc saw. Probably my favorite bigger saw is a MS460 class or Husqvarna 372 class as it has close to the same power as a 660 unless you go past a 28 inch bar, but weighs 3 pounds less (bigger trees like Dave has the bigger 92cc+ saws are needed). The new MS462s are selling fast as the power to weight is good. I don't need one, but that is the next one I buy.

Last edited:
Here is the best 60cc class saw I have ran.

4PE2mXB.jpg

Here is the autotune newer version.. I like the 361 better. A Husqvarna 362xp, 359, 357xp are in the same class an nice also.

8tIE8aI.jpg

I've got a 362 with the computer controlled deal. I wasn't really impressed with the saw for the first few tanks of fuel, but the more I run it, the better it runs. It's my favorite saw that I've ever owned in that size range. Borrowed a buddy's Husky 372 one time and to be honest, I didn't care for it much.

The MS170 junk saws almost done in the second picture........

9jvP8BQ.jpg

pKYRj4Y.jpg

The MS660 is complete in the second picture. With the Italian Piston/cylinder combo the compression is so high about all I can do to pull the recoil. It should handle 36" bar/chain good.

8kVi6MC.jpg

Gnw0dJd.jpg

Last edited:
Firewood looking for new home... free. Or any suggestions for what to do with it?