johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

danl":ixyt3uxe said:
Bigfoot":ixyt3uxe said:
Dr. Lacefield knows his stuff.
I was impressed he personally answered my email. even If I am from Missouri, thought maybe he would only answer Ky people.
That's just the way Kentuckians are :nod:

I've read this thread (and others via CT search) and still don't understand JG and it's toxicity periods. I have a small pasture, full of good green bahia/common bermuda/coastal bermuda mix, but with some green JG about 3 ft tall stalks with seedheads on it, and I'm now scared to let some 500 lb heifers in on it. July was very dry, Aug a fair amt of rain and Sept saw a LOT of rain including 5" last week. It was last grazed in mid August, but not heavily.

Toxic during drought stress--got it! (doesn't apply now)
Toxic after first frost-got it! (doesn't apply now)
If kept grazed short from the start, not usually a problem--got it! (doesn't apply now)

But, "sometimes" toxic after a rain and requires a 10 day waiting period before grazing?
Is it usually toxic at the mature stage mine is in?
(I can cut it down, rake it and burn it manually if that's the only recourse) I do not have a test kit and have no idea where I would find one around here.
suggestions?

From what I have figured out you should not have a problem with nitrates as much rain as you have had. Also it seems to me it has been long enough after your last good rain that prussic acid should be gone.

If you are nervous like me you can get a cyantesmo strip test kit. I bought mine from Amazon it took 3 days to get and cost about $55.00 dollars but should last a long long time.

Don't graze sorghum or sudan pastures between the first frost and a definite killing frost because of the
danger of prussic acid poisoning. Johnsongrass in stalk fields can also be a problem after a light frost.
Grazing can resume after the sorghum-type grasses have undergone a killing frost and dried up.

I generally don't worry too much about nitrates in JG or any other plant, if they're growing on unfertilized pastures, like mine. If, however, you're still funding the fertilizer plants and spending a lot of $$ on high-N fertilizers, it could be a problem.

Prussic acid, however, can be an issue, regardless of soil fertility. Generally, I don't worry much about that either, as fast as we rotate around the farm - unless there was a lot in a paddock that had been frosted - but usually, we've already pulled cows off pasture to allow stockpiling before we get a killing frost/freeze.

So what is the best way to deal with frosted Jgrass. Does it take a killing frost to activate the prussic acid? What about scattered light frosts? I always get concerned this time of year, with frosts just around the corner.

Frosted, I'd want to wait at least a week before turning the cows on it. Prussic acid will have pretty well dissipated in that time frame.
Found this blurb somewhere:
After a non-killing frost, do not allow animals to graze the frosted plants that are shorter than 30 inches in height for 10 to 14 days. Plants above that height can be grazed after a 4-5 day period.

OklaBrangusBreeder":37yuut6t said:
HDRider":37yuut6t said:
Reading this, it sounds like nitrates are an issue during a drought.
Prussic Acid is an issue up to 10 days after frost, or 10 days or so after a rain.

And it appears it is OK to hay?

It all seems confusing, complicated and maybe risky to use JG, and for simplicity's sake maybe just keep it sprayed out if at all possible.

Well, I've got a 50 acre field that is a heavy mix of Bermuda/Johnson grass. I fertilize and bale about 200 bales a year off that field which is the only hay supply for my cattle all year. I've never had a problem with feeding them the JG hay.

The ONLY time i've personally known anyone to lose livestock to JG occurred 2 years ago during Okla's worst drought in 50+ years. That was a case where a neighbor had shut cows out of a field, the JG got tall, and then it turned brutally dry. His wife left open the gate to the field during the worst of the drought without his knowledge. He had 2 cows die before he got the gate closed. That, summer I did some research on the JG issues.

My conclusions:
* In an open pasture, cows will eat down the JG before it can ever be a problem.
* As long as the JG is short, green, and growing, it should not be a problem.
* when JG gets tall and stalky and starts to brown, some care is due. This usually can only happen when the JG is in a closed feeding pen or hay field. If that is during a period of drought, the 10-day waiting period after a rain is advised before putting cows in on it or cutting it for hay.
* I don't ever have any concern about the Prussic posioning, because I'm done baling hay by frost and my cows have devoured any JG in the pasture long before frost comes.

Now, I'm just telling you about my opinions on JG. Anyone who feels differently is certainly entitled to their opinions and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. For me, I'm in the "JG is my friend" camp and value it both as pasture and hay...
I know the above post is a few months old but I just saw it and need to address it before it causes someone to lose catttle to prussic acid poisoning. I have lots of JG and have to manage it properly. I work both with OSU extension and Noble foundation in doing so. When JG is short and growing is when it is absolutely the most dangerous. You can get test strips to test a field before turnout. The only time I have them test positive is when the grass is young, tender and growing. It is typically NOT dangerous during a drought, but directly after an 1/8 inch rain following a drought, and for 10 days after a frost. The dissipation rate varies and can take anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks. I currently have plenty of grass but am unable to move cattle because my fields tested positive on Friday after a rain.

I've heard it takes a killing frost for the prussic acid to form and light frosts isn't problem. I don't know. All of mine right now is tall and headed out because there have been no cattle there for 2 to 3 months. I have a neighbor who turns his cattle in on a hay field this time of year that is covered up in Jgrass but it is mature and he has no problems.

Do not graze wilted plants or plants with young regrowth.
Do not use frost damaged sorghum as pasture or green chop during the first seven days after the first killing frost. Delay pasturing for at least seven days or until the frosted material is completely dried out and brown colored

Banjo":lrnzecea said:
I've heard it takes a killing frost for the prussic acid to form and light frosts isn't problem. I don't know. All of mine right now is tall and headed out because there have been no cattle there for 2 to 3 months. I have a neighbor who turns his cattle in on a hay field this time of year that is covered up in Jgrass but it is mature and he has no problems.
It's better to have scientific proof than listen to a neighbor. This is the second test on this field in 9 days. It's been hot both times and hot enough that one bite will kill em. My day time temps are 75, with nights in the 50s.

This test was run today.
5bd6f0ff321d22e50bdfc5f8d866a566.jpg

Isomade":2cer3e60 said:
Banjo":2cer3e60 said:
It's better to have scientific proof than listen to a neighbor. This is the second test on this field in 9 days. It's been hot both times and hot enough that one bite will kill em. My day time temps are 75, with nights in the 50s.

This test was run today.
Is that JG that has been frosted on? Thanks for the advice.

Banjo":1pf182c4 said:
Isomade":1pf182c4 said:
Banjo":1pf182c4 said:

This test was run today.
Is that JG that has been frosted on? Thanks for the advice.
No frost, it does NOT need a frost to be toxic.

This test was run today.
[/quote]
Is that JG that has been frosted on? Thanks for the advice.[/quote]
No frost, it does NOT need a frost to be toxic.[/quote]
then what is making it toxic?

Fresh rain can make JG toxic. The most dangerous time is when it has been eaten down, then gets a rain. Regrowth sprouts are the most dangerous. JG is seldom dangerous during drought conditions, it is just after the drought and after a frost on young plants that it is usually fatal. Prussic acid is cyanide, it works like a defense mechanism for the plant.

I am wondering if clover works the same way as far as being toxic or making cattle bloat after a rain. I lost a 500lb heifer calf last year......it was just after an extended dry spell and then 2 inches of rain....a couple of days later found her dead.....there was no JG is this field.
At the present time all my JG is very mature however, we are expecting a hard freeze in a couple of days, so I am going to feed hay for a couple of weeks and keep them off it till the threat is past.

I bought the same test strips Isomade has and I am feeding hay now because my pasture keeps testing positive for Prussic acid.
It is the new growth showing prussic acid, it was not frosted on at least until night before last.

I am just going to wait for a hard freeze and hold them out for a couple of weeks. We are supposed to get down to 29 in a couple of days, I don't know if that will do it or not.

It takes my samples a few hours to turn bright blue. I do the same thing Isomade does ( I think) I chop up Johnsongrass and put it in a zip lock bag in the sun. I have tried other kinds of grass and get no results.. just in case someone doubts..
If you don't think cherry leaves are toxic, just put some wilted ones in a bag with a cyantesmo strip. It almost instantly turns bright blue.

Lucky_P":38jhjrmt said:
Frosted, I'd want to wait at least a week before turning the cows on it. Prussic acid will have pretty well dissipated in that time frame.
Found this blurb somewhere:
After a non-killing frost, do not allow animals to graze the frosted plants that are shorter than 30 inches in height for 10 to 14 days. Plants above that height can be grazed after a 4-5 day period.

I have trouble telling my cows to only eat the tall ones :D

Just kidding...