johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder":3du705oi said:
Interesting...

You guys are trying to kill Johnson grass and I fertilize and bale Johnson grass...

Hmm...
Johnson grass makes me nervous, I like it for hay. I know it has lots of nutrition. It can just have some disastrous side effects at certain times. And I think right now is one of those certain times. Spraying it right now would not be the answer because I think that would definitely cause it to have prussic acid.

Dun,

The foxtail makes MUCH more sense than the Johnson Grass. I was really curious as to what you had going on in your part of the country that no one around here could figure out! LOL. I actually started cutting a 10 acre orchard grass field today that is really infested with Johnson grass. It won't be suitable to square bale for my horse customers but will make some really FINE round bale hay! I'm sure my feeder calves will really enjoy it this winter!

Pastora is only good for Bermuda grass fields. To my knowledge there is not anything than will kill Johnson grass and not kill other cool season grasses (Orchard Grass/Fescue). The only way to get it out of your field is a good wick bar and ALOT of patience!

OklaBrangusBreeder":wlof44s8 said:
Interesting...

You guys are trying to kill Johnson grass and I fertilize and bale Johnson grass...

Hmm...

Now you got my curiosity up??

OklaBrangusBreeder":saww9z7o said:
HDRider":saww9z7o said:
Now you got my curiosity up??

really, how so?

I guess I am trying to clearly understand the use and dangers of JG.

Reading this, it sounds like nitrates are an issue during a drought.
Prussic Acid is an issue up to 10 days after frost, or 10 days or so after a rain.

And it appears it is OK to hay?

It all seems confusing, complicated and maybe risky to use JG, and for simplicity's sake maybe just keep it sprayed out if at all possible.

HDRider":yoii9p15 said:
It all seems confusing, complicated and maybe risky to use JG, and for simplicity's sake maybe just keep it sprayed out if at all possible.
Pretty well sums up whatwe do, besides it being classified as a noxious weed in MO.

To me, it's no more risky than sudex. I have cut it many times for hay. It's fine stuff cut before the stem gets hard. Johnson grass is easier for me to treat like friend, than an enemy. Your going to be blessed with its presence either way.

HDRider":9qddx4v5 said:
Reading this, it sounds like nitrates are an issue during a drought.
Prussic Acid is an issue up to 10 days after frost, or 10 days or so after a rain.

And it appears it is OK to hay?

Well, I've got a 50 acre field that is a heavy mix of Bermuda/Johnson grass. I fertilize and bale about 200 bales a year off that field which is the only hay supply for my cattle all year. I've never had a problem with feeding them the JG hay.

The ONLY time i've personally known anyone to lose livestock to JG occurred 2 years ago during Okla's worst drought in 50+ years. That was a case where a neighbor had shut cows out of a field, the JG got tall, and then it turned brutally dry. His wife left open the gate to the field during the worst of the drought without his knowledge. He had 2 cows die before he got the gate closed. That, summer I did some research on the JG issues.

My conclusions:
* In an open pasture, cows will eat down the JG before it can ever be a problem.
* As long as the JG is short, green, and growing, it should not be a problem.
* when JG gets tall and stalky and starts to brown, some care is due. This usually can only happen when the JG is in a closed feeding pen or hay field. If that is during a period of drought, the 10-day waiting period after a rain is advised before putting cows in on it or cutting it for hay.
* I don't ever have any concern about the Prussic posioning, because I'm done baling hay by frost and my cows have devoured any JG in the pasture long before frost comes.

Now, I'm just telling you about my opinions on JG. Anyone who feels differently is certainly entitled to their opinions and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. For me, I'm in the "JG is my friend" camp and value it both as pasture and hay...

Have to agree with OBB, "Johnson grass is my friend", in fact I like growing it almost as much as my cattle like eating it and getting fat on it.

Well, since I first posted my Johnson grass question a month ago, we have got between 12 and 15 inches of rain. Maybe more. I lost track. Have never seen a wet end of July and first half of August before..

I haven't needed to turn them in there yet since the grass has been growing where they are.
But I am pretty sure it is safe by now...

I need to check the fences before I turn them in, the big ice storm of 2009 is still blessing me with dead limbs still dropping on fences.

I am still obsessing with the Johnson grass thing. I figured there must be a test for it. I found a article on the internet written by Dr Lacefield and Dr. Smith at the Univ. of KY on testing for prussic acid using cyantesmo paper strips.

So I ordered some, it isn't cheap. About $55.00 for a roll in a neat little dispenser.

According to them you put the suspected plant material in a zip lock bag. It is better if the material is crushed up and exposed to heat. Like on the hood of your truck- in the sun- in August-on a hot day. I can do all of those!!!
Last night I pulled some cherry leaves and stuck them in a zip lock bag, and put them in the cab of the farm truck. They should be well wilted and distressed by the time I get home from work. If anything is going to give off cyanide gas that should do it.
I will stick the paper in the bag.

Do you think I should inhale deeply??

I guess I am nuts, most people kind of shrug it off, but I lost a real good registered Brangus bull to cherry leaves about 15 years ago and now I am a believer. He was the only one of the herd that ate any for some reason.
It was a blown down tree after a storm and muddy, his large tracks were the only ones around the tree, he was dead as a door nail a few yards away.

By the way it is Danl as in Danl Boone not Dani :D

danl":plpc0ex1 said:
I guess I am nuts, most people kind of shrug it off, but I lost a real good registered Brangus bull to cherry leaves about 15 years ago and now I am a believer. He was the only one of the herd that ate any for some reason.
It was a blown down tree after a storm and muddy, his large tracks were the only ones around the tree, he was dead as a door nail a few yards away.

By the way it is Danl as in Danl Boone not Dani :D

Sorry about that Danl. Small screen.

When I got home the cherry leaves were wilted, I tore them up, put a strip of cyantesmo paper in the bag and set it on top of my outdoor wood boiler. I checked it for about ten minutes and nothing.

Went and checked the cows and bush hogged a while when I got back the strip was bright blue, indicating high levels of cyanide or prussic acid. So now that I know it works I will try it on Johnson grass.

The paper wasn't in the liquid part it was just the fumes that made it react. So there must be a lot of cyanide content in those cherry leaves.

Around here, you can get a test kit for free at the Oklahoma State extension office. Test your field where there is JG, and see how it is. My cows been eating on it for over a month now. its over 6' tall now, but they are eating it like candy. Never had a cows die from it.

Bigfoot":2aqtu2jv said:
Dr. Lacefield knows his stuff.
I was impressed he personally answered my email. even If I am from Missouri, thought maybe he would only answer Ky people.

Latest posts