johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

danl":3kj4xy00 said:
I bought the same test strips Isomade has and I am feeding hay now because my pasture keeps testing positive for Prussic acid.
It is the new growth showing prussic acid, it was not frosted on at least until night before last.

I am just going to wait for a hard freeze and hold them out for a couple of weeks. We are supposed to get down to 29 in a couple of days, I don't know if that will do it or not.

It takes my samples a few hours to turn bright blue. I do the same thing Isomade does ( I think) I chop up Johnsongrass and put it in a zip lock bag in the sun. I have tried other kinds of grass and get no results.. just in case someone doubts..
If you don't think cherry leaves are toxic, just put some wilted ones in a bag with a cyantesmo strip. It almost instantly turns bright blue.
It's only toxic to cattle if the paper turns blue within 5 minutes.

Isomade":l6jpovmu said:
"]It's only toxic to cattle if the paper turns blue within 5 minutes.

Well crap, I asked that question somewhere else and got a noncommital answer, so I have kept the cows out. It will be toxic for sure after tomorrow, it is supposed to get down to 27 degrees Friday then warm up.

I don't know where this Johnsongrass came from, I haven't had it in a long time, I usually do pretty good about moving them in and out of pastures and it always stays ate down and hasn't been a problem.

Under continuous grazing it will die out, but under intensive rotational grazing it seems to flourish because it has a chance to grow back or recover. Since I went to IRG 2 years ago I have lots of JG where I had hardly any before that. But it is mostly in the fields that I have cropped or hayed sometime in the last 15 yrs.

It's been such a headache to deal with this year I'm going to use Pastora to kill to out in the Spring. I've never minded it before but now I'm developing a deep seeded hatred for the stuff.

It was 27 degrees Friday morning and it looks like all the Johnson grass has turned a nice shade of brown. I think after 10 days or so it should be safe.
Right? It has came a couple of frosts already but none of them were killing until Friday.
Or do I need to wait for another freeze?

danl":tygljg88 said:
It was 27 degrees Friday morning and it looks like all the Johnson grass has turned a nice shade of brown. I think after 10 days or so it should be safe.
Right? It has came a couple of frosts already but none of them were killing until Friday.
Or do I need to wait for another freeze?
You will have to be your own judge here, but I'm going to wait about a week. We had 27 degrees Thurs and Fri so it looks like it got everything that was frost sensitive.

Limit risk for prussic acid poisonin

By Jody G. Holthaus

Meadowlark Extension District Agent

The first few frosts of the fall bring the potential for prussic acid poisoning when feeding forages. Some forage species, primarily sorghums and closely related species, contain cyanogenic glucosides, which are converted quickly to prussic acid in freeze-damaged plant tissue. Historically in Iowa there are very few documented cases of prussic acid poisoning. However, the risk is present, and good management practices are necessary to minimize the risks.

Prussic acid, or more precisely, hydrocyanic acid, is a cyanide compound that can kill animals within minutes of ingestion under the right circumstances. Cyanide interferes with the oxygen-carrying function in the blood, causing animals to die of asphyxiation. Symptoms include difficult breathing, excess salivation, staggering, convulsions and collapse. Affected animals will have bright cherry red mucous membranes from the cyanide. Ruminants are more susceptible than horses or swine because they consume large amounts of forage quickly and the rumen bacteria contribute to the release of the cyanide from consumed plant tissue.

Sudan grass varieties are low to intermediate in cyanide poisoning potential, sorghum-Sudan grass hybrids and forage sorghums are intermediate to high, and grain sorghum has high to very high poisoning potential. Pearl millet and foxtail millet have very low levels of cyanogenic glucosides. A few other plants also can produce prussic acid, including cherry trees.

Prussic acid does not form in sorghum and Sudan grass plants until the leaf tissue is ruptured, as with grazing or chopping. Young, rapidly growing plants will have the highest levels of prussic acid. The cyanide-producing compounds are more concentrated in young leaves. Minimum plant heights of 18 inches are recommended, to avoid using risky, young leaf tissue. Plants growing under high nitrogen levels are more likely to have even higher cyanide potential.

Frost and freezing can cause a rapid change in prussic acid risk in plants of any age or size. With frost, forage tissues rupture, and cyanide gasses form. The cyanide gas can be present in dangerously high concentrations within a short time, and remain in the frosted leaves for several days. Because cyanide is a gas, it gradually dissipates as the frosted/frozen tissues dry. Thus, risks are highest when grazing frosted sorghums and Sudan grasses that are still green. New growth of sorghum species following frost can be dangerously high in cyanide due to its young stage of growth. Prussic acid content decreases dramatically during the hay drying process and during ensiling. Frosted foliage contains very little prussic acid after it is completely dry. Sorghum and Sudan grass forage that has undergone silage fermentation is generally safe to feed.

Precautions to take to limit risk

When grazing or green-chopping species with prussic acid potential this fall, follow these guidelines:

Do not graze on nights when frost is likely. High levels of the toxic compounds are produced within hours after a frost. Immediately after frost, remove the animals until the grass has dried thoroughly. Generally, the forage will be safe to feed after drying five to six days.

Do not graze wilted plants or plants with young tillers or new regrowth. If new shoots develop after a frost they will have high poisoning potential, Sudan grass should not be grazed until the new growth is at least 18 to 20 inches (24 to 30 inches for sorghum-Sudan grass).

Best management is to allow the final, killing freeze to kill the crop, and then wait five to six days before grazing. Other practical managements may be to harvest as hay or silage since. In most cases, adequate growth foGreen-chopping the frost-damaged plants will lower the risk compared with grazing directly, because animals have less ability to selectively graze damaged tissue; however, the forage can still be toxic, so feed with great caution. Feed green-chopped forage within a few hours, and don´t leave green-chopped forage in wagons or feed bunks overnight.

When making hay or silage from sorghum species this fall, consider the following: Frosted/frozen forage should be safe once baled as dry hay. It is very rare for dry hay to contain toxic levels of prussic acid. If the hay was not properly cured, it should be tested for prussic acid content before feeding. Waiting five to seven days after afrost to chop frosted forage for silage will limit prussic acid risks greatlyr safe grazing cannot be obtained after a later, killing freeze occurs. Don´t allow hungry or stressed animals to graze young growth of species with prussic acid potential.

As soon as gun deer season is over I will turn my cows into my pasture in question. It got down to 15 degrees the other morning, so I think it should be sufficiently dead by now.

It probably has been safe for a long time, but it will save me some hay in a couple of weeks. So I guess it doesn't matter when I feed the hay, sooner or later.

We had two nights in a row of 27 degrees awhile back. I turned mine back in a week later.....no problems.