johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
We haven't had any rain for about a month until last Sunday and we got a inch and then Monday almost a 1/2". I had pulled the cows off a ten acre pasture a couple months ago to let it grow back and it was in pretty good shape. I should have already put them in it and let them keep the johnson grass grazed down as it came up, but I didn't.

Last week I went to let them in it and there are several patches of Johnson grass, I bush hogged it down, but am sure I didn't get it all. Plus I think I read that new growth may be the most toxic.

What are the chances of it being high in nitrates?
It has not rained any more since Monday, I probably should wait and hope we get the rain they are calling for in the next few days. Do you all think so???
From what I have read once it starts raining again (if it does) the nitrates get used up in new growth

We lost two heifers a couple weeks ago to prussic acid. About 15 went down shortly after being rotated into a new pasture with just a spattering of Johnson grass. Gave sodium thiol sulfate in the vein and all but those two recovered within a few minutes. We had about 0.2" of rain 11 days before, the only moisture in a long time.

I fertilized this spring with triple 17. I think I am going to wait for more rain. I have another pasture I can put them on I am going to check for J grass and may just put out hay if it has it too.

I made a discovery this week, Grazon PD will hammer the snot out of johnson grass

dun":35nsi5fs said:
I made a discovery this week, Grazon PD will hammer the snot out of johnson grass
That is good to know, I have full jug of Grazon pd. I thought Johnson grass was a grass not a broadleaf.

Do you know if grazon pd will get foxtail?

danl":8b7n2zih said:
dun":8b7n2zih said:
That is good to know, I have full jug of Grazon pd. I thought Johnson grass was a grass not a broadleaf.

Do you know if grazon pd will get foxtail?
Don;t know about foxtail, learned about johnson grass by accident

Dun,

I've had a hay business for years and have constantly fought keeping Johnson grass out of my planted orchard grass fields. We normally spray with 2-4-d but after the first cutting the Johnson grass really shows it's ugly head. I've always been told that Grazon will only kill broad leaf and not grasses just as 2-4-d does. The only thing I've heard is that Grazon has a better residual to it and will keep broad leaves out a little bit longer. Johnson grass is such a weed around here I'll be amazed if killing it is as simple as spraying Grazon PD. I'd be very interested to know how much Grazon PD you used per acre, what growth stage the Johnson grass was at when sprayed, and how much surfactant (if any) you used. For years our only defense against the stuff was a wick bar filled with Gly-4. I look forward to hearing about it!

Dun,

I just read where you used 2.5 Gallons per 5 acres. What stage of growth was the Johnson grass in? Did it effect the other grasses along with the Johnson grass? If you have any pictures I would love to see them. Thanks.

tnwalkingred":1vpkdok8 said:
Dun,

I just read where you used 2.5 Gallons per 5 acres. What stage of growth was the Johnson grass in? Did it effect the other grasses along with the Johnson grass? If you have any pictures I would love to see them. Thanks.
I double checked it this mroning and it wasn;t johnson grass, it was giant foxtail

OklaBrangusBreeder":3flo9dql said:
dun":3flo9dql said:
I double checked it this mroning and it wasn;t johnson grass, it was giant foxtail

OK, that makes me feel better. Yes, the foxtail has to go. Spray that to your hearts content.
I agree but as I said, I sprayed it by accident. There was a huge clump of lambsquarter that I sprayedand the GFT just happened to be growing in it.

You can spray round up in a light dose on bermuda and it will only burn the bermuda but kill the JG.

There is some thing else that will kill JG aslo because we spray it on coastal and pasture but not the JG field. We used it when the stickers got bad. Ill have to pull the tickets and see what it was.

Brute 23":2ppabus8 said:
You can spray round up in a light dose on bermuda and it will only burn the bermuda but kill the JG.

There is some thing else that will kill JG aslo because we spray it on coastal and pasture but not the JG field. We used it when the stickers got bad. Ill have to pull the tickets and see what it was.

Probably atrazine as I doubt you used Msma on coastal

Latest posts