Grass hay drying time with disc mower

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
How much extra drying time is needed with a 3pt disc mower when compared to a discbine ? I'm sure the early cut hay would benefit from conditioning with the discbine but,when cutting mature stalks and leafy undergrowth, is there really that much difference? Either way, a tedder can and would be used. Hopefully someone who has used both or seen both used at the same time could answer.

A LOT of the drying time will be determined by the weather... we have had PERFECT drying weather for making hay. Last week we cut one day and I raked on the morning of day 3 and it was about dry... got baled late that afternoon... Yes, it was with a discbine with conditioner... BUT... no tedding. The lack of humidity will account for a good day's worth of drying regardless of what you cut it with... if you normally figure 3-4 days with a mower/conditioner... we have been getting it up in 3 max... Add in the humidity, and it adds in at least a day...
No humidity makes the respiration rate of the hay even not run through a "bine" faster than if it is humid out. Add in the breezes we have had, and hay has been drying beautifully... NOT using a conditioner would usually add in a day for us...

A LOT of the drying time will be determined by the weather... we have had PERFECT drying weather for making hay.

Exactly. We've had some of the best curing weather I've seen in a good while this year. On the week of Memorial Day, I would cut one day, ted the second day and rake/bale on the third. Grass still had excellent color but it was honestly a bit too dry. Even with the hay that I baled this weekend (which was on the ground less than 48 hours), I had more issues with buildup of dry hay in the baler than I've had in quite some time. Gorgeous hay this year.

Latest posts