Jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I've been a pretty versatile person all my life, fast learner, not lazy, dedicated to whatever job I was doing at the time. Tried to be the best, most efficient I could be. Its never bothered me to fire a boss though, if they yelled or talked down to me, stick it. Been working at the same outfit for over 3 years now, wouldn't have even took the job, if it hadn't been for an old compadre that I drove truck with over 15 years ago. It was slip seating and nights which I was totally against, but I took it because of him, I knew it would be laid back. And I told him that I didn't want a bunch of overtime, I have cows, and things to do, and a life. I wanted to spend time with my wife after all those years on the road. All was well, until he quit about 3months ago, and I've been running 50- 60 hrs a week since. I know thats not much in the otr world, but I have an hour commute, and still have to take care of MY business, and its suffering. I guess what I'm saying is I'm fixing to tell them to stick it, but it sure doesn't come as easy as it did 20 yrs ago. But, I took the wildest ride of my life in an 18 wheeler 3 weeks ago tomorrow, because I was tired, and almost took out a line of cars in tulsa. Innocent people , who had no idea. I was looking at the traffic behind me out the driver's window, a higher power was with me and I pulled it out, I don't ever want to take another ride like that. I've had close calls ,but I've never put a scratch on another vehicle, and I haven't had a moving violation since 1998, so I think I can command some respect in the industry. Sorry for so long, just needed to vent.

snoopdog said:
I've been a pretty versatile person all my life, fast learner, not lazy, dedicated to whatever job I was doing at the time. Tried to be the best, most efficient I could be. Its never bothered me to fire a boss though, if they yelled or talked down to me, stick it. Been working at the same outfit for over 3 years now, wouldn't have even took the job, if it hadn't been for an old compadre that I drove truck with over 15 years ago. It was slip seating and nights which I was totally against, but I took it because of him, I knew it would be laid back. And I told him that I didn't want a bunch of overtime, I have cows, and things to do, and a life. I wanted to spend time with my wife after all those years on the road. All was well, until he quit about 3months ago, and I've been running 50- 60 hrs a week since. I know thats not much in the otr world, but I have an hour commute, and still have to take care of MY business, and its suffering. I guess what I'm saying is I'm fixing to tell them to stick it, but it sure doesn't come as easy as it did 20 yrs ago. But, I took the wildest ride of my life in an 18 wheeler 3 weeks ago tomorrow, because I was tired, and almost took out a line of cars in tulsa. Innocent people , who had no idea. I was looking at the traffic behind me out the driver's window, a higher power was with me and I pulled it out, I don't ever want to take another ride like that. I've had close calls ,but I've never put a scratch on another vehicle, and I haven't had a moving violation since 1998, so I think I can command some respect in the industry. Sorry for so long, just needed to vent.
Share away....hope all works out for you but you gotta look out for yourself and your family first.
I walked away from decent money when I retired from a paycheck but it was what was best for my sanity at the time. Had an opportunity to go back several times but opted not to. Can't say I have any regrets.

Are they going to replace the guy that quit? Christmas time will be here before you know it and trucking hours usually pick up then, so to cut OT a new driver is needed.

I took a weeks vacation, to try and put up hay and maybe get the rest of my calves off the mommas, should be calving back in about 40 days. I've been in contact with some new customers on the hay side, and will be powwowing with some guys from the salebarns around this week. I haven't broke the news to them yet, but I don't owe them a dang thing.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
You can go to work for yourself and be like a lot of us here at CT...... you are almost sure to have a slave driver for a boss....
:lol:

greybeard said:
Good luck, whatever you decide.
You can go to work for yourself and be like a lot of us here at CT...... you are almost sure to have a slave driver for a boss....
:lol:

I am 78 and still can do a days work only problem it takes me three days to do it.

Sometimes it's hard to walk away from the money, but there are more important things in life. Good luck to you.

Little Cow said:
Sometimes it's hard to walk away from the money, but there are more important things in life. Good luck to you.
Money want but everything but it will buy a lot of bacon.

Thanks everyone, had vac scheduled for this week to put up hay. I have covered for everyone else on their vac, started texting me about the loads monday, and calling me all weekend. Told me I had an attitude problem, hahaha, sayanora.

Son done that the other day, 6 ten hour night shifts a week for the last four months and he couldn't get a few days off that he needed.

Allenw said:
Son done that the other day, 6 ten hour night shifts a week for the last four months and he couldn't get a few days off that he needed.
I worked an oilfield job out in West Texas in 1993.. 63 straight 12-18 hr days grinding then slurrifying and injecting several thousand bbls of oilfield radioactive waste down an abandoned well. It was a rough one. Had lots of hands quit on that job, including one of my sons. I didn't blame them. It was rough, but I stuck it out and took 2 days off then drove from West Tx to Morgan City la and set up on another job of the same type..it only lasted 2 1/2 weeks tho and the hours were 12/day..

The things ya do when you're young..

greybeard said:
Allenw said:
I worked an oilfield job out in West Texas in 1993.. 63 straight 12-18 hr days grinding then slurrifying and injecting several thousand bbls of oilfield radioactive waste down an abandoned well. It was a rough one. Had lots of hands quit on that job, including one of my sons. I didn't blame them. It was rough, but I stuck it out and took 2 days off then drove from West Tx to Morgan City la and set up on another job of the same type..it only lasted 2 1/2 weeks tho and the hours were 12/day..

The things ya do when you're young..

He was working night maintenance at a sand mine, did it by himself for a mouth or so keeping a wet and dry plant up and operating over night. They finally got a couple more workers on night maintenance one had his two week notice in and the other one had already tried throwing him under the bus once. He also had issues with her wife who operates one of the plants. It was just time to go.

They finally got a couple more workers on night maintenance one had his two week notice in and the other one had already tried throwing him under the bus once. He also had issues with her wife who operates one of the plants. It was just time to go.
I would probably be out the door pretty quick myself under those circumstances...

Latest posts