Off farm jobs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":hpmig0v3 said:
I saw a lot of the sights when I was rodeoing but the wife has never been anywhere. She needs to see old faithful and Grand Canyon.

If you come to Old Faithful feel free to stop in, I'll give you and your wife a tour of my workplace Dave! I'm in the Twin Falls area (on your way to Yellowstone).

I'm a heavy truck/trailer mechanic. Been at it 32 years. Not really what I wanted to do, but it's what comes naturally. Most challenging part is the diagnostics on the newer trucks. Primarily Mack in our fleet. Oil and gas industry in East Texas. Work has been slow, but is picking up.

I'm an auctioneer, I sell crop insurance and I run cows, some stockers in the fall and bale a little hay. I live in a small town in central Texas that's about as far west as you can go and still be in the Texas Hill Country and as far east as you can go and not be in West Texas

Txpiney":kozvr8hl said:
I'm a heavy truck/trailer mechanic. Been at it 32 years. Not really what I wanted to do, but it's what comes naturally. Most challenging part is the diagnostics on the newer trucks. Primarily Mack in our fleet. Oil and gas industry in East Texas. Work has been slow, but is picking up.
All those log haulers use to drive Macks too....tough old trucks back then anyway.

TexasBred":3bi1lt3q said:
Txpiney":3bi1lt3q said:
All those log haulers use to drive Macks too....tough old trucks back then anyway.
I've been driving and working on heavy trucks for over 20 years now. If I was putting together a fleet of trucks to make money, whether it was straight trucks or tractor trailers it would be model year 2000 Mack RD's with E7 motors and Mack 18 speed transmissions. Virtually bulletproof.

The vast majority of log trucks in East Texas are still Mack. Yes the old RD, R model trucks were bullet proof and simple to work on. Unlike today's trucks.

Grew up on a farm (cattle, poultry and row crop). Decided to go in a different direction, got an education degree and taught school and coached HS football and track for 38 yrs. Retired last year, have returned to the farm. Have a small cow/calf operation, grow sweet potatoes and garden. I enjoy the cows, not really like work to me. We are trying to upgrade our cow herd, don't really want a bigger herd, just a better herd.

Latest posts