Its time for more hp

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know about the Kubota but the Deere has the E pto setting so you can get 540 @ 1650rpm. If you need full power you can get it or for the light stuff you can cut it back. As for the right tractor in the original post you could go with the M series Deere it is heavier than the E by @ 1500# but still @ 10k cheaper than the 6 series. I think they run @ 1000# lighter than the 6 series. Horsepower up to 100pto & the torque level is the same as the 6series. Torque is where the difference is in a lot of these tractors same hp doesn't mean the same grunt when you need it!

denvermartinfarms":3ttkl70d said:
My main hay tractor is a 81hp Kubota from the mid 90s and I really like it, but I wouldn't want anything smaller for anything.

I don't know anything about earlier and smaller Kubotas, but so far I sure like my Kubota MGX tractor. The smallest in the series is 85 PTO hp on 30" rubber.

My M126GX is a larger frame tractor with 105 PTO hp. 375 cube 4cyl with turbo/intercooler rated at 2200 rpm. So far starts great with only glow plugs. My other tractors are 105, 130, and 165 HP, all 2wds.

The Kubota is just about right size and powerwise for what I want to do as a hay and chore tractor. I have used it on the round baler, rotary mower, and most recently the stackmover.

I should have got hay moved sooner. Buried the stackmover to the frame with 15 bales on. Tried to unload bales but still 6 on there. Was able to pull drawbar pin, disconnect hoses and PTO and the Kubota was able to rescue itself from the hole it dug. Have to wait until ground freezes now.

IMO, Kubota's MGX cab is as good or better than anything out there. Cab is clean and quiet. Air/heat and radio work great. Grammer air seat rides nice. Also see the same seat in new MF tractors.

14.9x24 and 18.4x38 radials ride nice too with good ground clearance. Fluid in rear tires, no weights.

Transmission is easy to shift. 8 powershift gears in 3 ranges with F-N-R shuttle. 25 mph road gear really gets down the road. Creeper option available but I don't need it.

Single joystick controls loader functions and electric buttons on joystick knob control grapple.

Orange price is considerably less than red,blue, or green. My Kubota dealer also sells red and blue, but he has sold quite a few orange tractors too.

On the parts issue. My Kubota set out at the neighbor's place during our early snowstorm. I don't blame neighbor as I would have likely done the same thing He started and used the tractor one day. Next day the tractor shredded the serpentine fan belt.

Picked up new belt and neighbor broke the belt tensioner bracket putting it on. Dealer didn't have the bracket.

Parts man made the call to order overnight delivery. The part had to come from Osaka Japan. Kubota paid overnight shipping from Osaka to Seattle. I paid $90+ overnight shipping from Seattle to Rapid City plus the $500+ cost of the part.

The part should not have broke. Neighbor said the adjusting bolt lock nut was tighter than be nice on there and a guy should have had 3 hands to work on it. Cast piece snapped where it was about 1" square with a half inch threaded hole for adjusting bolt to go through it.

The dealer went to bat for me dealing with Kubota. Ultimately, Kubota refunded the cost of the part but not the $90 shipping bill. That seemed fair and reasonable to me and I am and remain a satisfied Kubota customer. Just one of those things.

I told the parts guy the moral of the story is check and clean out around the radiator after a snowstorm. My theory is that the idler pulley/fan were stuck with snow/frozen ice and the belt slipped and burned until things thawed out enough to start turning.

No way to get in there very handy without lifting the hood and/or removing side shields. Neighbor left off one of the side screens that is held on with 4 bolts. I suppose the next thing is a cat will crawl in there now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stocker Steve":1vml5gin said:
Cabo":1vml5gin said:
I have a 6420 and 6430, the 6430 is good but the 6420 is much better tractor IMO. I suggest the 16 speed with left hand control.

What is better about the 6420 ?

Sorry, I didn't fully explain, my 6430 is a standard model and the 6420 has a lot of the bells and whistles of the 6430 premium.

Latest posts