Its time for more hp

Help Support CattleToday:

ngafarmer

Reaction score
Ok so I've been upgrading my hay equipment and I need a few more ponies under the hood of my tractor. I'm cutting with a krone disc nine with rollers and a br740 bailer. I'll also be tugging a fertilizer spreader and 16 ft grain drill. I'm not looking to buy a brand new one and I will not consider a Kubota I have one already and I hate it. I really like the 6000 series jd's but I'm not sure what size is best. It has to be 4wd and i will need a loader on it. What are you guys using?

I have a 6420 and 6430, the 6430 is good but the 6420 is much better tractor IMO. I suggest the 16 speed with left hand control.

That's what I was leaning towards, I'm actually going to look at one this weekend but I appreciate your feedback

I run Deere tractors myself because of the parts. But Case, New Holland are good heavy duty tractors. All you need is a good dealer close by.

ngafarmer":6g80p6mo said:
Ok so I've been upgrading my hay equipment and I need a few more ponies under the hood of my tractor. I'm cutting with a krone disc nine with rollers and a br740 bailer. I'll also be tugging a fertilizer spreader and 16 ft grain drill. I'm not looking to buy a brand new one and I will not consider a Kubota I have one already and I hate it. I really like the 6000 series jd's but I'm not sure what size is best. It has to be 4wd and i will need a loader on it. What are you guys using?
Don't want to divert from your original question but I would be very interested in why you hated your Kubota? I am looking at a 7040 vs JD 5085E.

You are one of the first that have heard that totally dislike Kubotas. Put some wheel weights on have the fuel calibrated up and if it is a 4x4 you will have a pretty nice tractor. I have seen several calibrated up 10% with zero heat issues.

Well I don't want to sound blunt about it but this is why I don't like Kubota...Its the roughest riding tractor, it will beat you to death on flat ground. Anything I hook to it I have to pull in low range because it is on its second clutch. at 400 hours it had transmission problems and the parts to fix it were on a boat coming across the pond. The a/c will work if its 30 degrees out haha and I know how to work on hvac systems because that's my second job. In order to get the pto to 540 the tractor has to be WAO, leading to a lot of cab noise. The seat sucks and I hate the gear shifter....it will give you a hernia changing from 2nd to 3rd. Im not a die hard deer man but I know you just cant go wrong with one and yes there is a price difference but if you have 100 acres of hay that needs to be bailed and your tractor needs parts that haven't even made it to the country yet........the price difference isn't so bad.

HDrider the JD tractor your comparing to the Kubota is out of line. That model JD will out pull a Kubota 9560. And it won't even be close.

the probs your talking about could happen with any brand of tractor.but im wondering 1 thing,if your tractor a gear drive or a hydro shuttle shift.

No DM, a Kubota 7040 is comparable to a John Deere 5065e. And the JD will still out pull it and it has a 3cyl. diesel. What's written on a piece of paper is not what happens in the dirt. My neighbor has a 7040 and I know first hand what it will do in the real world.

highgrit":kxy8qrcw said:
No DM, a Kubota 7040 is comparable to a John Deere 5065e. And the JD will still out pull it and it has a 3cyl. diesel. What's written on a piece of paper is not what happens in the dirt. My neighbor has a 7040 and I know first hand what it will do in the real world.
A m7040 is 71 engine and 64pto hp. A 5075 is 75 engine and 60pto. The base weight on the Kubota is about 1400lbs less than the jd.

I didn't mean to start an argument haha but I will say this, I would much rather have a heavier tractor that's hands down. Now for comparing JD to Kubota yes I am looking at engine numbers and PTO numbers but actually applying those numbers in the field is what I really want to know. And if hours were not a factor I would be looking at a 40 series JD that still do what a 4wd Kubota wouldn't because of weight.

ngafarmer":30ywx36s said:
I didn't mean to start an argument haha but I will say this, I would much rather have a heavier tractor that's hands down. Now for comparing JD to Kubota yes I am looking at engine numbers and PTO numbers but actually applying those numbers in the field is what I really want to know. And if hours were not a factor I would be looking at a 40 series JD that still do what a 4wd Kubota wouldn't because of weight.
No argument on my end, I was just showing the numbers,so it could be seen i wasn't just making stuff up :D . I would rather have the weight to.

I would also rather have a jd if I was buying a new tractor right now. Although I have had some great Kubota tractors, and none of them from the last 5 years.

highgrit":31y0pd0k said:
HDrider the JD tractor your comparing to the Kubota is out of line. That model JD will out pull a Kubota 9560. And it won't even be close.
I know, but the 7040 is the last open station tractor from Kubota. I don't need any more tractor than the 7040, but I am now looking at the JD 5085E, as it is the smallest JD made in the US. More tractor than I need, and maybe it doesn't matter but I don't want a JD made in India.

Maybe you can help me on thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87316

If all your looking for is a tractor for the hayfield, I don't think you necessarily need a 6000 series JD. I have a 5093E that I use for the hayfield and have absolutely loved the tractors. I've had it now 4 years with not even a hint of a mechanical issue. I have used it to pull a 16 ft JD notill drill that I borrowed from a neighbor once, and it pulled it without effort.

For what your are describing, you could save you some money by looking at the 5E series without giving up at all on your requirements. I looked at the Kubota 8540 when I bought by JD. I've never regretted my purchase.

Red Bull Breeder":khr5sdv6 said:
The fifty series deere will have to be wound tighter to hit 540 than the bota.
Yep. IMO for hay and brushoging the m7040 is better than a 5075 Deere. I don't own either but have used both.

My main hay tractor is a 81hp Kubota from the mid 90s and I really like it, but I wouldn't want anything smaller for anything.

Latest posts