Is this fair?

Help Support CattleToday:

Also, just talked with a lady at the Tn. DMV and she no I didn't need a CDL if I was under 26K pds. and even if I went out of state.

I talked to a guy today that hauls hay. He said he charges $1.90 per loaded mile. He has about 2000 rolls of cow hay and will deliver. Don't know what he is getting for his hay though. Its selling for $45-$50/roll here but will probably go up some if we don't get some rain.

Laws may be different up there but here if your truck and trailer combined GVW - not actual weight - but the weight plus the potential cargo weight is over 26,000 then you need a CDL. I have a f350 and If I even hook up a 16 ft bumper pull I am over 26,000 GVW. I could have this all wrong, but I've been helping my brother study for his test and I've been reading the book and it all runs together sometimes :lol:

TheLazyM":gfqtkqyy said:
The way I understand you, your clearing an extra $1200 in november??? All your doing is driving. You'll have to decide this one for yourself. I'll tell you this though, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Maybe I should sell my trucks and equipment if I can find people like you. It cost someone $500 to move a 17,000 lb piece of equipment 10.7 miles. Everyone considered that "cheap". I thought it was a steep price to pay myself.

Expect the unexpected. I blew a tire making a local hay delivery one time. Told the guy up front the delivery would be $75. The new tire was $80.

I live near Collinwood, TN. We have several lumber haulers going out loaded and returning empty. Recently they started hauling hay on return. They say they pay 35 for the hay and have to get 60 for it here it just cost so much to operate the truck. Before the hay most just returned empty anyway.
There are several hundred rolls in the county awaiting sale. Evidently few people can or will pay the price.

They priced $4 per mile to haul a steel building for me. NO Way. I pay $4 to get empty storage containers delivered but will stop as soon as I can.

This is an area where the government could have helped a lot. Allowing use of dyed diesel, relaxing hours of service and inspections. The locals & Fred Thompson has his nose stuck somewhere else. This drought is gutting the rural economy and no one understands what happens next year..

sidney411":2vehmxeu said:
Laws may be different up there but here if your truck and trailer combined GVW - not actual weight - but the weight plus the potential cargo weight is over 26,000 then you need a CDL. I have a f350 and If I even hook up a 16 ft bumper pull I am over 26,000 GVW. I could have this all wrong, but I've been helping my brother study for his test and I've been reading the book and it all runs together sometimes :lol:

Where do you get your potential weight from? That sorta leaves alot of room. I dont know of any F350 rated over 20,000lbs GCW. F450s and up are rated 26,000lbs and under. I reckon I can see someone putting two 10k axels under a 16ft bumberpull, um but, why? You got to have some kind of way of limiting the "potential" "weight" cause if not you can say that a f150 has the "potential" to have a GCW of 26,000lbs. Realisticly neither truck will if using manufactors suggestion. Now I know they dont go by manufactor's suggestion or at least not in Alabama. They will weight your truck if need be, But then again in Alabama CDL has nothing to do with weight its about money. A farmer can use a tractor-trailer combo to haul his crop to market and not have a CDL, But if he hauls his NEIBOR'S they'll hang his butt. Really the bottom line is if your getting paid to haul the load you have to have a CDL. tncattle can easlie pull this off like I do. He is going and getting the hay and his grill is pointing in the direction of his farm loaded. It will be the burden of the state to prove he was'nt hauling his own hay.
Backhoeboogie I wish I was there I would releave yall of some of yall's duties. I go pick up equiment for 3 different rental yards, 1 being my brother-in-law's. All 3 pays the same $50 a piece. Between the 3 I get 10 loads a week I clear $38 a load. I put any where from $380 -$500 a week in my pocket. Its been a long time since I have'nt gotten at least 10 orders. There is alot of construction going on right now and the rental yards stay swamped and cant get everything picked up on time. It is just real easy money for me.

Latest posts